Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight questions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Headlight questions Reply with quote

I finally got around replacing the standard 40/55W bulbs with some 60/55W halogen ones on my bus. That got me wondering about a couple of things related to headlights.

I've got non-sealed standard (i.e. not halogen) headlights. The bus is a '79 one that got reimported into Europe and a PO replaced the sealed beam ones at some point.

Only bulbs with P45t socket fit there, but I bought an adapter to be able to use the more common P43t socket bulbs I can buy at any petrol station (I know I could get special halogen bulbs with the old P45t socket online if I wanted, though).

So essentially, I'm fitting halogen bulbs to a headlight assembly designed to work with plain old round bulbs, featuring a metal shield above the bulb to block direct light. IIRC ratwell did some tests with this same setup and appreciated no obvious issue with halogen bulbs and the metal shield.

• Out of interest, though, would someone have a picture of an H4 headlight assembly? I'd be interested to know if that also has a metal shield for the bulb, and if so, if it looks similar to the stock headlight.

Then I looked at the rims. They're made out of plastic and have a single screw to fit them. They also have a small hole on the vertical axis (top or bottom, depending on where you look)

• What's the purpose of this hole and should it be facing top or bottom? I could think it's to allow water to drain, but somehow I don't think it's the case, as the assembly is not sealed at all
• I've noticed at least on early bays (and bugs), the rim has 3 screws, which permit headlight adjustment. At which point did the bus migrate to a single screw rim and why?
• Is there a way to adjust the single screw headlights? I understand how the 3-screw system worked, but I cannot figure a way to do the adjustment with the 1 screw assembly (and the 3 other screws that fasten the headlight to the body)

Thanks.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight questions Reply with quote

My Cibie Z-Beam lamps using (p43t) H4 bulbs have only a metal shield in front of the bulb, such that all emitted light must come from the reflector. There are no other shields, except the one inside the bulb itself which shields downward light from the low beam filament. Thus, all low beam emitted light come from the upper part of the reflector.

In terms of swapping bulbs, as long as the bulbs filaments are in exactly the same location, they should work. Personally, I'd not mess with adapters, but buy H4 lamps with p45t bases (Philips, Osram, Narva).
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)

Last edited by telford dorr on Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:37 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight questions Reply with quote

You really need to post a picture of what you have but my guess is the three screws that attach the head light to the body must have springs behind them as one screw will never be able to aim the head lights so the other three must do it. Try loosing one and see if the light beam moves.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight questions Reply with quote

Remove the single screw,that removes the trim ring,then adjust the light with the 2 adjusting screws.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight questions Reply with quote

Sounds like some sort of non sealed beam lens/reflectors installed in the USA spec sealed beam fixtures, the real bulb and reflector Euro spec ligts have adjustment screws on the chrome trim ring. You should be able to get 7" H-4's to fit those buckets.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight questions Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
My Cibie Z-Beam lamps using (p43t) H4 bulbs have only a metal shield in front of the bulb, such that all emitted light must come from the reflector. There are no other shields, except the one inside the bulb itself which shields downward light from the low beam filament. Thus, all low beam emitted light come from the upper part of the reflector.

Thanks Telford. It seems then that the H4 headlight assemblies have got the same or similar metal shield in front of the bulb as the non-halogen ones. What you are describing looks very much like what I've got, except for the H4 bulbs themselves, which have got a shield of sorts with their silver-painted top –I assume yours have that too.

telford dorr wrote:
[...] Personally, I'd not mess with adapters, but buy H4 lamps with p45t bases (Philips, Osram, Narva).

The adapter has no electrical connections and is a simple plastic ring that helps holding the P43t socket in place of a P45t one, with the same dimensions (see the pic below). It's a tight fit too and the electrical connections stay exactly the same, so I'm quite happy with it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

At least here in Europe, it's not easy to find H4 lamps with P45t sockets, unless you go to bus (or oldtimer in general) online retailers. At the physical stores I've been at, they are invariably all P43t ones.

I did not look at other manufacturers for P45t availability, but at least with OSRAM, the ones I bought (2 pairs: Night breaker and Ultra Life as spare) as far as I could tell were only available in P43t.

I could only find one OSRAM H4 product with P45t: their Original Line 45/40W lamps, but I'd wanted to upgrade to the 60/55W ones.

I might have found something else if I'd spent more time on it, but I was happy with the results and I thought I'd used enough time researching about lamps Smile

In any case, my main concern was the ability to go to a shop or petrol station in case the two lamps died at once. It's happened to me once in another car, with no spares at the time, and being able to just go into a shop was a life saver.

The solution here is simply to carry spares, but I prefer a simple belts and braces approach Smile

Starbucket wrote:
You really need to post a picture of what you have.

Sorry, I thought I had no pictures, but I indeed took some before I took the headlights apart for swapping the lamps and cleaning them up. Here they are:

Notice on that last picture, the rubber cap has a written notice in German "black cap - regular lamps; grey cap - H4 lamp". Does that indicate that these headlights were fitted with either type of lamp?

Also notice the PO thought no VW bus was worth its name unless cables were colored to match the body paint.

lil-jinx wrote:
Remove the single screw,that removes the trim ring,then adjust the light with the 2 adjusting screws.

I think that's it. It had been a while since I had the headlights on the bench to clean them, so I'd forgotten about the two extra non-mounting screws behind the trim ring. See the picture above with the labels showing one of the three mounting screws and one of the two adjusting screws. Thanks!

busdaddy wrote:
Sounds like some sort of non sealed beam lens/reflectors installed in the USA spec sealed beam fixtures, the real bulb and reflector Euro spec ligts have adjustment screws on the chrome trim ring.

Yes, I've seen these on bugs, but I didn't know it was an European-only setup. Also, I noticed that those are metal chrome rings, whereas mine is chromed plastic (with a genuine VW part #).

I initially thought that it was early bays with non-sealed headlights that had the adjusting screws on the trim ring, and that that had changed to screws behind the ring in late bays.

One thing I noticed was that Just Kampers list these as: "Single screw headlamp rim for Bay window vans and Beetles UK spec 1973 to 1979. US imports from 1967 to 1979". The 3-screw ones are listed as: "Fits all Beetles from 1967 to 1972, and T2 Bays from 1967 to 1972. Features two adjusting screws and and one retaining screw"

I'm confused as to where and when the one-screw-only trim rings were used. After a quick search, I could also find no information based on their part #.

The part numbers for the left and right rings (whichever one is which) are 211 941 177 and 211 941 178, as can be seen on the pics below. The -177 one has a "2" marking somewhere else on the ring, and the -178 one has a "1".

busdaddy wrote:
You should be able to get 7" H-4's to fit those buckets.

Indeed, but as the halogen lamps fit on regular headlight assemblies, I thought I'd keep them rather than buy H4 ones. Also, from the note on the rubber cap mentioned above, and looking as though the frontal light shields seemed to be the same, makes me think I could safely use the H4 lamps on a non-H4 headlight assembly.

That leaves the question of the small hole in the trim rings. Any ideas on a) purpose and b) whether it goes on top or bottom?. I still find it hard to believe it's a drain hole, but I'm thinking of mounting it facing to the bottom, so that at least no rain will get into the headlights.

Cheers.
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight questions Reply with quote

It is a drain hole, face it down
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight questions Reply with quote

Ahhhh, I see, those must be late bay Euro spec lights, some sellers were offering a similar light a few years ago as a Mexican genuine VW part except they used H-4 bulbs. Break a lens and you have to replace the whole unit.
The early ones were part of the outer trim ring and the adjuster screws were visible when installed.

They both adjust the same, but you have to remove the ring on the later style to get at the screws, one controls tilt and the other pan.

Here's the North America sealed beam style for reference as well:

And yes, the little hole goes down to drain.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight questions Reply with quote

Thanks a lot busdaddy for the pics and the info.

busdaddy wrote:
Ahhhh, I see, those must be late bay Euro spec lights, some sellers were offering a similar light a few years ago as a Mexican genuine VW part except they used H-4 bulbs. Break a lens and you have to replace the whole unit.
The early ones were part of the outer trim ring and the adjuster screws were visible when installed.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the ones with the visible adjuster screws on bugs, although I wasn't sure how and when they were used on buses.

So the folks who did the (non-sealed) H4 conversion on North American late bays back then... did they use H4 headlight assemblies plus 3-screw chrome trims?

Not something I'm considering right now, but I'd be interested about the "proper VW" way it was done at the time for future reference, in case I ever need to replace them.

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
It is a drain hole, face it down

busdaddy wrote:
And yes, the little hole goes down to drain.

Thanks for confirming, back to undoing the PO's work, then.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight questions Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
It seems then that the H4 headlight assemblies have got the same or similar metal shield in front of the bulb as the non-halogen ones. What you are describing looks very much like what I've got, except for the H4 bulbs themselves, which have got a shield of sorts with their silver-painted top –I assume yours have that too.

Yes - I forgot about that. The tips of the bulbs have a coating of some kind which stops forward light emissions.

Quote:
The adapter has no electrical connections and is a simple plastic ring that helps holding the P43t socket in place of a P45t one, with the same dimensions (see the pic below). It's a tight fit too and the electrical connections stay exactly the same, so I'm quite happy with it.

If it's working for you, and the lamp focus is acceptable, then by all means go ahead and use it. I only mentioned the p45t lamps as an option because there are rumors that the adapter rings don't position the bulb at the proper focus point. Of course, this rumor may be completely false.

They sell p45t 55/60watt halogen lamps over here on Amazon.com: link.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight questions Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
So the folks who did the (non-sealed) H4 conversion on North American late bays back then... did they use H4 headlight assemblies plus 3-screw chrome trims?

North American buses came with sealed beams, you removed the trim ring (single screw), unscrewed the 3 small screws holding the retaining ring on the bulb and replaced it with a non sealed beam H-4 style light that fit into the holder for the sealed beam, then you replaced the retainer ring and trim after adjusting.

I see units similar to yours but claiming to be H-4 are available in case the adaptors mess up the focus too badly: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=897741

Слава Україні!
Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight questions Reply with quote

European lights are cool. Im a fan. They were made for left and right hand drive vehicles. Different light pattern. You dont want right hand drive lights on a left hand drive vehicle. Typically the side of the light facing oncoming traffic shines a bit lower, as to not be in the oncoming drivers eyes.

I have Hella E code H4's on my US spec, '70 . They fit the US mount.Great light pattern. Just wish they had the factory parking "city" lights.

Here's mine.

furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight questions Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I see units similar to yours but claiming to be H-4 are available in case the adaptors mess up the focus too badly: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=897741

Thanks. Telford also mentioned it, so I'd like to get to the bottom of this. Is there a source or rationale for the rumour that P43t to P45t adapters mess up the focus?

The comment about the rubber lid note made me think that my non-halogen lamps would work with both halogen and traditional incandescent bulbs.

If the adapter ends up making an H4 P43t bulb have the same dimensions and clearances as an H4 P45t bulb when it's fitted (*), perhaps it's less about the adapter and more about fitting a halogen bulb into a lamp not designed for it?

Or are the tolerances for the focus small enough that e.g. thousands of an inch could make a difference if the adapter is not cut to very precise dimensions?

Cheers.

(*) On second thoughts, I should probably check this by comparing a P45t H4 bulb (which I don't have) vs. a P43t H4 one with adapter. So far I compared the traditional P45t incandescent one to the H4 P43t one with adapter.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight questions Reply with quote

Dana Champion wrote:
Just wish they had the factory parking "city" lights.

These are available through Hella but I forget what the part # is, I've had a couple sets.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight questions Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Dana Champion wrote:

These are available through Hella but I forget what the part # is, I've had a couple sets.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C11-37001

Слава Україні!
Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight questions Reply with quote

Thanks TDCTDI, and busdaddy.

Hella had those kits for sale forever ago. I used to see them advertised in Hot VW's. Tried to locate the Hella's, they were called "city lights". Can't find/ haven't found em. I've seen the ones Cip1 has for sale. Guess I need to stop wishin' and just get some ! #Sleep

I would use piggyback connectors, as to not alter the original wiring.

Very Happy
Blake412
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight questions Reply with quote

FWIW, I humbly offer the following: I made the jump to LED headlights about a month ago, and I have been very pleased with them. I'm getting a WHOLE lot more light from them, using a LOT less amperage and they look clean.

I used VintageCarLEDs.com and was very pleased both with the customer service and with their product knowledge. So much so that I not only gave them a good review on feedback, I specifically sought out this forum to let other Late Bay drivers know about a good company doing a great job.

I'm aware that some might take issue with not keeping the bus as stock as possible; but the benefits (more light and less amperage) far outweigh the asthetic for me personally. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight questions Reply with quote

A bit bigger investment and leap in terms of looks, but I installed some TruckLite 27027C LED headlights last summer and wow... what a difference! I really don't mind driving at night and in bad conditions and these make night driving so much easier. They were plug and play too, but do stick out about 1cm in front. Fully recommend them.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight questions Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Dana Champion wrote:

I wonder if that explains the fourth wire (gray) that I have into the headlight buckets on my Mexican '75 single cab, which is generally Euro spec. The higher orange turn signal light housings have only one bulb in them, instead of the American spec two bulb arrangement. Maybe instead of using the orange "parking" light arrangement, these little secondary bulbs in the headlights are what is supposed to be there.

Where is Nigel? Rolling Eyes
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight questions Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Dana Champion wrote:

I wonder if that explains the fourth wire (gray) that I have into the headlight buckets on my Mexican '75 single cab, which is generally Euro spec. The higher orange turn signal light housings have only one bulb in them, instead of the American spec two bulb arrangement. Maybe instead of using the orange "parking" light arrangement, these little secondary bulbs in the headlights are what is supposed to be there.

Where is Nigel? Rolling Eyes

The factory Euro equipped system had no park lights in the signals, only the clear "city lights" in the headlights. You have to be careful when buying NOS signal assemblies as many only use a single filament bulb. And yes the wire is grey.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: