Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gen, Oil, Turn Signal Instrument Lights Inop
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Gen, Oil, Turn Signal Instrument Lights Inop Reply with quote

Trying to track down an electrical gremlin.

The oil pressure light, generator light and turn signal instrument lights are not working. I've tried changing bulbs without luck.

All other instrument lights are working (ie, dash light, high beam, fuel level). The actual turn signals, headlights, turn and 4 way lights themselves are working, just not in the speedometer instrument cluster.

I'm at my wiits end, any ideas?

Thanks
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Gen, Oil, Turn Signal Instrument Lights Inop Reply with quote

There is one wire that energizes positive voltage to the sockets of those lights, I'll bet somethings up with that, find that on the back of your speedometer and track it to it's fuse/source. Sorry I don't know the color or which fuse, mine is aftermarket wired. Someone here can probably be more specific.
zohami
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gen, Oil, Turn Signal Instrument Lights Inop Reply with quote

Check out the wring diagram in the Technical section
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/181_Current_Flow_Diagram_4-73.pdf
Looks like those 3 instrument lights all get power from S1, or the left-most (driver's side in USA) fuse connection in the fuse block. If the fuse is good, try cleaning the spade connectors on the fuse block, and make sure your ground is good.

I recently had a few similar gremlins that were all eliminated by disconnecting and cleaning the male and female spade connections on the fuse block.

Best of luck!
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Gen, Oil, Turn Signal Instrument Lights Inop Reply with quote

So, in looking at the wiring diagram:
the wire from the fuel tank sending unit gets attached directly to the gas gauge on the back of the speedometer, correct?

Does a power wire then run from the gas gauge, to the vibrator, to the "power" terminal for the oil, gen and turn light "cluster"??

Thanks
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Gen, Oil, Turn Signal Instrument Lights Inop Reply with quote

Thanks KAmes and zohami,

I had the wire from the fuel sender unit hooked up to the (positive ?) lead, therefore, no power.
And, I had the power wire (from the fuse) hooked up to the fuel gauge or fuel vibrator.

However, I am a visual guy more than a schematics guy, so i ended up looking through many beetle speedometer wiring photos to see exactly what wire went where.

Switched the around and everything now works.

Now, on to all four ball joints and all four tie rod ends!
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Gen, Oil, Turn Signal Instrument Lights Inop Reply with quote

Easy fix, cool!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: