Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front brakes frozen
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brakes frozen Reply with quote

daneibling wrote:
Gut Check -
All set to return to the car which has been parked on the other side of town to put calipers back together with a new set of seals. I realized after I had taken the calipers apart more thoroughly, that I do NOT have the anti-rotation plates anymore.
So last Saturday I ordered another set of seals, from PMB, which does come with the plates, and the half seals as well as the site is very adamant about the fact that they have them. PMB, bless they're busy selves, didn't process my order until Wednesday this past week, and the package MIGHT show up when the post gets here at about 2pm tomorrow? ~so much for express ordering~
The mechanic who is helping me with the car only does this out of his place on Saturday mornings, so I could call him and let him know I don't have the parts and wait till next week? Seeing as how the car has been on his property, marking its spot, I'm not sure how he will feel taking another week to get it out of his space.

-- Assuming that I do not have the anti-rotation plates in hand tomorrow morning, are these complicated to install on my own at a later date? It LOOKS like its a 'simple' brake pad change procedure, Pop the pins out, remove pads, but while I have the pads off, I rotate the pistons to match up with the plates and slip in the plates accordingly.

-- Seeing as how my pistons were rusted into place before, on a rebuilt/ lubed caliper are the pistons easily rotated?

--Or is having the anti-rotation plates something that is worth waiting another week to have a shop of tools to have done.

-- Or is having the rotation plates not even a thing to really be concerned about, and I should just return them.

At this point I'm getting annoyed with the customer and postal service.

Thoughts.

The rebuild kit I have ~ sans anti-rotation plates:
Centric Parts 143.34003 Caliper Kit

assembly fluid:
Centric Parts Hydraulic Brake Assembly Fluid

Yes.....you can install the anti rotation plates easily while changing the pads. Or you can put in your old anti-rotation plates if you have them for now.

But no....they are not that easy to rotate on some calipers. Many times you need to take the outer seal/boot loose to rotate the piston. Typically I use the anti-rotation plate to align the pistons before I put on the outer boot....and even before I assemble the caliper halves.

And yes....you need them. Do not drive very far at all without them as it will wear the pads crooked.

Yes.....thats the hit or miss of what Rock auto stocks. If the kit you ordered from rockauto had a PICTURE showing the anti-rotation plates and the kit came without them....call their their customer service.....they will issue a return tag....and get your money back.

The PMB kit...I believe is made by Haldex from the part #. They make as good of parts as anyone. They have been in business over 100 years. Swedish based, factories in 8 countries.

These calipers are actually very simple to work on. Also....make damn sure that when you reassemble these......there must be NO solvents or oils from parts washers etc.

These need to be squeaky clean. Really its worth dropping by Home Depot and buy a quart of denatured alcohol to rinse everything down.

Do not use petroleum oil....do not use any other kind of alcohol to rinse the new seals or parts off with. Even a few minutes in oil or regular isopropyl alcohol can damage the seals. Brake fluid or the centric lube you have ONLY.

The caliper parts should be dry. Use no sealer, oils, lube or brake fluid on the small caliper half seals. They go in dry.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daneibling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brakes frozen Reply with quote

Wanted to let you all know that the brakes are back together, and shes stopping just fine. Thanks for all the tips and heads ups along that journey.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brakes frozen Reply with quote

Excellent!
savannanotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brakes frozen Reply with quote

Very Happy Good job , way to stick with it and do it right the first time .
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Front brakes frozen Reply with quote

Good work! Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jaworskin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brakes frozen Reply with quote

I had the same problem and was fortunate to be able to find some rebuilt calipers locally, but it got me thinking about keeping my 73 square on the road. Has anyone ever replaced the spindles with earlier ones and convert it the pre 72 system? Would that work?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brakes frozen Reply with quote

jaworskin wrote:
I had the same problem and was fortunate to be able to find some rebuilt calipers locally, but it got me thinking about keeping my 73 square on the road. Has anyone ever replaced the spindles with earlier ones and convert it the pre 72 system? Would that work?

Caliper castings...never..ever..ever..wear out. Just rebuild them...but dont wait until they have a million miles on them and are rusted. Thats what wears them out.

You can buy rebuild kits for late type 3 calipers (which are the same as early type 4 and 914) and for the slightly earlier type 3. For about $20 each....or less.

Buy a spare kit, put in in the tool box and just rebuild them automatically within 3-4 years. Its easy and insures that they are always top notch and will last forever. Ray
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brakes frozen Reply with quote

which bmw calipers fit? I know 914 guys upgrade the bmw rotors and a 19mm master. supposed to be bolt on.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brakes frozen Reply with quote

jaworskin wrote:

After an accident, I had a later axle put on my '71. Not sure I can feel the larger front brakes, but why would you "downgrade" your brakes to the smaller size?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brakes frozen Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
which bmw calipers fit? I know 914 guys upgrade the bmw rotors and a 19mm master. supposed to be bolt on.

found it. 320i

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_BMW_calipers/914_BMW_calipers.htm
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brakes frozen Reply with quote

this is buried in there too. neat.

Quote:
volvo 240 80's 4 pot calipers and Bmw 2002,1602 4 pot calipers will also fit on to early 914's and 912's. volvo 240 4 pot calipers will fit with the dust covers removed. Theres about 7mm pad overhang but otherwise a straight fit an a popular upgrade on the early 80's 320.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brakes frozen Reply with quote

Yes....and if by any chance you can fit a vented rotor off of something....you can upgrade the existing type 3 and type 4 caliper to fit with a spacer block that fits between the two caliper halves. That then requires an extra pair of caliper half seals. Ray
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brakes frozen Reply with quote

jaworskin wrote:

I've done it before, and had no issues. I wrote the stuff down, so that the next owner would know that it's been swapped, and what parts would be needed if replacement was required.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: