Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Standard 1969 beetle fuse block/box pictures?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Standard 1969 beetle fuse block/box pictures? Reply with quote

It's also missing the metal strap that bridges #9 fuse over to #10 on the input side.
I would probably just get another fuse panel- plenty available in the classifieds here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
arnie.sepulveda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Standard 1969 beetle fuse block/box pictures? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have a fusebox with 10 terminals... the connection for #9 are both gone top and bottom, #10 which shows thats for radio only has the bottom.

My emergency flasher #30 goes to the key buzzer relay. but i cant hook up dome lights, emergency switch either since i dont have #9
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Standard 1969 beetle fuse block/box pictures? Reply with quote

arnie.sepulveda wrote:
Hello I know its old post but hoping someone can help me, I have a 70 beetle and on the fuse box im missing #9 and #10... do i need to replace the whole fusebox or any way to replace the terrminals?

Do you mean you only have an eight-fuse fuse panel? Or you have the 10-fuse panel but # 9 and #10 are missing the tabs to connect wires to?

1600 SP engine
arnie.sepulveda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Standard 1969 beetle fuse block/box pictures? Reply with quote

Hello I know its old post but hoping someone can help me, I have a 70 beetle and on the fuse box im missing #9 and #10... do i need to replace the whole fusebox or any way to replace the terrminals?
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Standard 1969 beetle fuse block/box pictures? Reply with quote

easy way for telling 'left-right'. Big red wires #30 first fuse(s) on that side. Multiple black wires #15 is the first fuse(s) on the other side. Look at the wiring diagram you can see which of the sides is what.

Actually the fuse panel output wiring is straight forward. After the #15 wires fuses are the 4 headlight fuses big white yellow wires, then the right/left running/parking light fuses, then the #30 big red wire fuses.

The inputs to the fuses are even easier, there are 5 pairs.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kd69bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Standard 1969 beetle fuse block/box pictures? Reply with quote

OK those replies answer my question... I was wondering how there was a #30
terminal on the fuse box... now understood... thanks all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Standard 1969 beetle fuse block/box pictures? Reply with quote

#1 would the the one towards the left of the VW as one sits in the driver seat. So #1 is farthest from the center line. Is that what you were asking?

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Standard 1969 beetle fuse block/box pictures? Reply with quote

kd69bug wrote:
I have looked in my Bentley, and in the Tech Section here,
but I cannot find a diagram/layout of the numbering of the
terminals on the "trunk side" of the fuse panel.

The fuse box powers multiple devices. Even a single fuse will often power multiple different devices. This means one male terminal on the fuse box may support multiple different numbered circuits. So the fuse box itself does not have numbers for its terminals... other than the number of the fuse (#1~#10 or #12)

Having said this, there are some common circuit identifiers like #15 (black - ignition switched), #30 (red - constant 12v) and X (black/yellow - alternate ignition switched). These are more commonly identified by the wire colors as there are multiple wires connected to the same circuit.

My advice is to just follow the wiring diagram as your reference. Just be sure to understand which side of your fuse box is the INPUT and which side is OUTPUT. Hint, the INPUT side is the side with brass interconnects (bridges) linking multiple fuses together. This allows a single source wire to power multiple fuses.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
kd69bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Standard 1969 beetle fuse block/box pictures? Reply with quote

I have looked in my Bentley, and in the Tech Section here,
but I cannot find a diagram/layout of the numbering of the
terminals on the "trunk side" of the fuse panel. Help?

Thanks...
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Standard 1969 beetle fuse block/box pictures? Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Nothing against sb001's wiring, but it has a few extra wires (might be due to his autostick or radio) and wiring of fuse #1 & #2 appear to follow the late '69 arrangement instead of the original early '68-'69 VW wiring diagram (The green wire on fuse#2 is not part of the stock '69 wiring diagram. It is probably the wire to the wipers which changed from black to green in later Beetle model years.) Nothing wrong with this, it just doesn't match the VW wiring diagram 100%.
The VW wiring diagram for '68-'69 is the reference you probably want to wire your fuse box to. Optionally, you could use this late '69 wiring diagram created by a Samba member to account for the flasher relay change made in late '69. If you have a 3 or 4-prong flasher relay you may want to follow this diagram instead. It is a better match to sb001's wiring (wipers are the only thing powered by fuse #2.) Both arrangements will work.

The thing to keep in mind... determine which edge (top or bottom) of your fuse box is the INPUT side. In sb001's pic it is the TOP edge of his fuse box. In the wiring diagram it is the BOTTOM edge. You can tell by the thick brass "bridges" that connect pairs of fuses together. This allows 1 wire to power two fuses. This is important because it may be possible to install the fuse box 180-out and your INPUT side may be along the bottom of the fuse box (like the fuse box in the wiring diagram).

Just remember that fuse #1 is always closest to the left side door (left as seen from the driver's seat). In the wiring diagram it is on the left side of the diagram. The INPUT side of the fuse box will be the side with the horizontal "bridges" connecting fuses together (thick black lines in the wiring diagram).
You need to adjust for these things when looking at the trunk side of the fuse box (#1 is now on your right) and depending on how your fuse box is installed the INPUT may be on the top or bottom. This is why just following a pic of how someone else has wired their fuse box is not always a good idea. If their fuse box is 180-out from yours you definitely DO NOT want to replicate it exactly.

ashman you are correct, my original factory 69 wiring is kind of a hodge podge of 69 and 70 wiring put together! That's actually the way it came from the factory- as you pointed out my wiring follows the 70 diagram with a green lead to the wiper switch off fuse #2, whereas in the 69 diagram there a black lead to the wiper switch off fuse #2.
If you look at my fuse box (original factory fuse panel) you will even see I have two terminals built in on the fused side of #2, for two wires to come off, since the 70 fuse box also had the brake switch lead coming off fuse #2 (I still have my brake switch lead coming off fuse #1 to make it match the owner's manual fuse box description.) Obviously the factory got a little ahead of itself in the wiring dept! Very Happy
It was a bit confusing when I installed my new harness- I had to pull both diagrams to go off of.

1600 SP engine
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Standard 1969 beetle fuse block/box pictures? Reply with quote

Ashman - don't even look at my 1970 fuse box, will drive you nuts !!! I had dealer AC, and fuse box was moved into trunk and fuses were impossible to even see, I had to make a new bracket as a compromise.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Standard 1969 beetle fuse block/box pictures? Reply with quote

Nothing against sb001's wiring, but it has a few extra wires (might be due to his autostick or radio) and wiring of fuse #1 & #2 appear to follow the late '69 arrangement instead of the original early '68-'69 VW wiring diagram (The green wire on fuse#2 is not part of the stock '69 wiring diagram. It is probably the wire to the wipers which changed from black to green in later Beetle model years.) Nothing wrong with this, it just doesn't match the VW wiring diagram 100%.
The VW wiring diagram for '68-'69 is the reference you probably want to wire your fuse box to. Optionally, you could use this late '69 wiring diagram created by a Samba member to account for the flasher relay change made in late '69. If you have a 3 or 4-prong flasher relay you may want to follow this diagram instead. It is a better match to sb001's wiring (wipers are the only thing powered by fuse #2.) Both arrangements will work.

The thing to keep in mind... determine which edge (top or bottom) of your fuse box is the INPUT side. In sb001's pic it is the TOP edge of his fuse box. In the wiring diagram it is the BOTTOM edge. You can tell by the thick brass "bridges" that connect pairs of fuses together. This allows 1 wire to power two fuses. This is important because it may be possible to install the fuse box 180-out and your INPUT side may be along the bottom of the fuse box (like the fuse box in the wiring diagram).

Just remember that fuse #1 is always closest to the left side door (left as seen from the driver's seat). In the wiring diagram it is on the left side of the diagram. The INPUT side of the fuse box will be the side with the horizontal "bridges" connecting fuses together (thick black lines in the wiring diagram).
You need to adjust for these things when looking at the trunk side of the fuse box (#1 is now on your right) and depending on how your fuse box is installed the INPUT may be on the top or bottom. This is why just following a pic of how someone else has wired their fuse box is not always a good idea. If their fuse box is 180-out from yours you definitely DO NOT want to replicate it exactly.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Standard 1969 beetle fuse block/box pictures? Reply with quote

Here is my 69 fuse panel with color correct wiring

1600 SP engine
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Standard 1969 beetle fuse block/box pictures? Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba!!! Very Happy

Go to the "Technical" drop-down menu . . . at the upper right of this page and click "wiring" . . . be sure to select the type-1(Beetle) section because it will show type-2 (Bus) by default.
That's where you will find stuff like this . . .
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/69bug_fuses.jpg
streetaside
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Standard 1969 beetle fuse block/box pictures? Reply with quote

Question Does anyone have a picture of a fuse box for a 1969 bug standard?

Im trying to get mine running but half of the wires are un-plugged. Im trying to find a picture of a fuse box with the wires already hooked up so all I have to do is plug them in. All the wiring on mine is original (I think).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: