Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Locker Console | In Progress
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Syncro Locker Console | In Progress Reply with quote

Hello All,

I am consolidating this into its own topic so that it doesn't overwhelm the "3D Printing Vanagon parts" topic.

Below are snippets from the conversation:

Pcforno wrote:
If you want a tougher project- do the syncro locker console. There's a big need as they get cracked and there's a lot of volks doing 2wd to 4wd conversions, as syncros become less available

forrest.whitmore wrote:
Pcforno wrote:
If you want a tougher project- do the syncro locker console. There's a big need as they get cracked and there's a lot of volks doing 2wd to 4wd conversions, as syncros become less available

Do you have a picture of this?

Pcforno wrote:
This thing. You might even be able to sell them on van cafe or the like as they're in pretty high demand
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RaraBlacksheep wrote:
Pcforno wrote:
This thing. You might even be able to sell them on van cafe or the like as they're in pretty high demand

How complex is the back side? I've been looking around since you mentioned it and haven't found a photo yet. From the front, that looks like an easy piece to make.

Pcforno wrote:
Here ya go. The light up plastic thingy would need to be made too

RaraBlacksheep wrote:
Is that your part? Would you be willing to lend/rent it? I'd need it a week, tops, depending on how the day job is going..

Pcforno wrote:
Yeah sure- there's some weird extra plastic on the sides and it doesn't have the little plastic picture. I'll see if I have the center part somewhere. PM me and I'll send it your way

forrest.whitmore wrote:
Pcforno wrote:

Gotcha. Is it just the brown plastic that the knobs go onto, or the entire assembly?

forrest.whitmore wrote:
Pcforno wrote:
Yeah sure- there's some weird extra plastic on the sides and it doesn't have the little plastic picture. I'll see if I have the center part somewhere. PM me and I'll send it your way

How about shipping it West to CA and I'll ship it North to OR? Very Happy

Pcforno wrote:
Forest- I'm fine with sharing! I already replied to a PM by black sheep so I'll send it his way (he's in cali too) and then he can send it yours too. One thing to work on would be the inserts in the panel. One is a simple rectangle clear plastic that acts as a light diffuser onto the knobs. The other is that picture of the van with 3 leds to indicate locked status. I don't have a spare one of these- I wonder where we could find one?

forrest.whitmore wrote:
Pcforno wrote:
Forest- I'm fine with sharing! I already replied to a PM by black sheep so I'll send it his way (he's in cali too) and then he can send it yours too. One thing to work on would be the inserts in the panel. One is a simple rectangle clear plastic that acts as a light diffuser onto the knobs. The other is that picture of the van with 3 leds to indicate locked status. I don't have a spare one of these- I wonder where we could find one?

Sounds good! It looks like it would be a fairly straight-forward object to 3D model. Smile

RaraBlacksheep wrote:
And oops, yeah I need to update my profile. Took a job in SoCal a while ago, though I miss the heck out of Oregon..anyway I'm going to give modeling it a crack but since I've got the equipment, why not scan it too? Very Happy

forrest.whitmore wrote:
RaraBlacksheep wrote:
And oops, yeah I need to update my profile. Took a job in SoCal a while ago, though I miss the heck out of Oregon..anyway I'm going to give modeling it a crack but since I've got the equipment, why not scan it too? Very Happy

Definitely scan it! FARO? Where in SoCal? I might need to stop by to scan some stuff... Cool Very Happy

RaraBlacksheep wrote:
forrest.whitmore wrote:

Definitely scan it! FARO? Where in SoCal? I might need to stop by to scan some stuff... Cool Very Happy

PM'd Very Happy

forrest.whitmore wrote:
Almost done!

dkoesyncro wrote:
WTF👊👏🍻, you did it!!

RaraBlacksheep wrote:
Looks good!! Did you find one to copy or did you do that all by eye? Coordination fell through on the loaner so I never wound up with the original to scan..

forrest.whitmore wrote:
dkoesyncro wrote:
WTF👊👏🍻, you did it!!

Yea! I had some free time last nice, so I tried to get as much done as I could! Thanks for letting me borrow it!

RaraBlacksheep wrote:
Looks good!! Did you find one to copy or did you do that all by eye? Coordination fell through on the loaner so I never wound up with the original to scan..

dkoesyncro (above) let me borrow his for a bit. I just got it on Monday Very Happy

forrest.whitmore wrote:

I just tested what I modeled before. The resolution (low) of the print is mainly for testing the geometry. I have made some slight revisions to the design, but for the most part it's 98% sorted out! Very Happy

What about the knobs? Are those hard to come by?

Pcforno wrote:
Looks great!
Knobs are easily available but the plastic illuminated picture would still need to be made

forrest.whitmore wrote:
Pcforno wrote:
Looks great!
Knobs are easily available but the plastic illuminated picture would still need to be made

Thanks!

Oh okay, that's good to hear. Yea, I'm looking into the plastic graphic part.

forrest.whitmore wrote:
I was looking at a diagram of the panel's assembly and it looks like there's another panel behind this one that holds the knobs, etc.? Does anybody have a picture of how these two interface?

Pcforno wrote:
If you look at the original you will see 4 screw holes. That's the whole way it attaches

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
forrest.whitmore wrote:
I was looking at a diagram of the panel's assembly and it looks like there's another panel behind this one that holds the knobs, etc.? Does anybody have a picture of how these two interface?

There's a stamped steel bracket which holds the switches behind the panel.

forrest.whitmore wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
There's a stamped steel bracket which holds the switches behind the panel.

Perfect! Thanks for that. Are these relatively easy to find, scrap-wise? I would like to test the fitment eventually, unless there's a Syncro owner nearby that would like to meet up at some point. Laughing

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Nothing Syncro specific is easy to find.

unibagel wrote:
I don't see why the stamped steel mount couldn't be a well designed 3D plastic part as well....

forrest.whitmore wrote:
unibagel wrote:
I don't see why the stamped steel mount couldn't be a well designed 3D plastic part as well....

Yea, that would be the next best thing. It would be just as easy to model as the other. The grounding points (I think that's what they are) would just have to tie back into the dash.

Does anybody have one that they are willing to share?

forrest.whitmore wrote:
Pcforno wrote:
Looks great!

I got the graphic designed and sourced.

Pcforno wrote:
Awesome! Did you see on he back the way the clear plastic attached to the design has fittings for the illumination bulbs?

dkoesyncro wrote:
Forrest,

That looks spot on! Somewhere, probably on the samba I seen an LED lit panel that was a personal retro fit that really cleaned up the original wiring/lighting in the back.

I can send you the steel panel if you want, LMK

FREEBIES: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkqzgREEtE9Aj7poRLxLuW-oGORuiQ?e=eSKThT
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Locker Console | In Progress Reply with quote

Applause

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Locker Console | In Progress Reply with quote

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing the finished panel.
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Locker Console | In Progress Reply with quote

Way cool and thanks....

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Locker Console | In Progress Reply with quote

Pcforno wrote:
Awesome! Did you see on he back the way the clear plastic attached to the design has fittings for the illumination bulbs?

Thanks! Yea, I'm still working on that portion of it. I am working on the transparent piece and the fittings for the bulbs. I want to simplify the design further though.

dkoesyncro wrote:
Forrest,

That looks spot on! Somewhere, probably on the samba I seen an LED lit panel that was a personal retro fit that really cleaned up the original wiring/lighting in the back.

I can send you the steel panel if you want, LMK

Thanks! I found a few posts that offered some insight on the lighting. I'm going to be redesigning it and placing upgraded LEDs. Would you happen to know what voltage is going to the stock lighting on the panel?

I may need the steel panel at some point. Let me try to sort out the front panel first. I'll let you know.

erste wrote:
Nice work! Looking forward to seeing the finished panel.

Thanks! Same here!

Bman wrote:
Way cool and thanks....

Thanks and you're welcome.

GoWestyYoungMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Locker Console | In Progress Reply with quote

I will definitely buy one when you have it ready for sell.
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Locker Console | In Progress Reply with quote

Yup I'll buy one too!
Will the texture and color be difficult to replicate?
Really nice job and a great service to the community! Hats off!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Locker Console | In Progress Reply with quote

I'd be interested in one, but since I will never own a Syncro, it's just for the opportunity to have a switch panel that fits the dash. I have several push-pull switches in mind.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Locker Console | In Progress Reply with quote

Pcforno wrote:
Yup I'll buy one too!
Will the texture and color be difficult to replicate?
Really nice job and a great service to the community! Hats off!

I'll be working on the texture in the coming weeks. I don't think it'll be that difficult to replicate. The color on the other hand may be a bit tricky. The brown is always the most difficult to match. It may have to have a black or white base and painted afterwards. Not quite sure yet.

Thanks!

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I'd be interested in one, but since I will never own a Syncro, it's just for the opportunity to have a switch panel that fits the dash. I have several push-pull switches in mind.

[pic]

Definitely! Same here. I have a few concepts for us 2WD owners. They most likely will be applicable to Syncro owners too. Post or PM me some more info about the switches you have in mind. I've been looking into them also.

artacoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Locker Console | In Progress Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

[pic]

the syncro switches are vacuum not electric
2.5 Subie
86 Doka
2.5 Subie
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Locker Console | In Progress Reply with quote

They're not even switches, they're valves.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Locker Console | In Progress Reply with quote

artacoma wrote:

the syncro switches are vacuum not electric

tencentlife wrote:
They're not even switches, they're valves.

Yea, yea... The switches will be used on 2WD, not Syncros.

agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Locker Console | In Progress Reply with quote

UPDATE:
Had some time to work on the texture today.

Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Locker Console | In Progress Reply with quote

Awesome work!
Hey I've got the plastic piece that fits behind the console and holds the lights, but the graphics are peeled off- PM me if you need it😀
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Locker Console | In Progress Reply with quote

Pcforno wrote:
Awesome work!
Hey I've got the plastic piece that fits behind the console and holds the lights, but the graphics are peeled off- PM me if you need it😀

Thanks. I may have to take you up on that because I have to get dkoesyncro's panel back to him soon. I'll let you know.

Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Locker Console | In Progress Reply with quote

There is a BUNCH of stuff here in Germany.....
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Locker Console | In Progress Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:

Send it over Exclamation

Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Locker Console | In Progress Reply with quote

forrest.whitmore wrote:
Team WorldTour wrote:

Send it over Exclamation

What do you want?
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Locker Console | In Progress Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:

What do you want?

Anything relevant to this topic would be great.

RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Locker Console | In Progress Reply with quote

forrest.whitmore wrote:
UPDATE:
Had some time to work on the texture today.

How does a texture like this fare with the print? Is there any post-process, smoothing etc.?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: