Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thinking of selling - Revisited - Sold
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Thinking of selling - Revisited - Sold Reply with quote

Some of you may be saying "Yes! Done with that A hole" but I hope not........

Sadly Finances rear their ugly head........ we bought a retirement home last year which is demanding cash in a manner that puts a Vanagon's whiny demanding needs to shame!

Add to this, we need a vehicle that is more a rolling Hampton Inn hotel room rather than a fold out vacation module.

I'm seriously considering making a move to a domestic Van that can offer a comfy bed and a full bath.

Just thinking right now..... the lure of American Iron........

I love this community and to even think about giving it up is an almost unbearable grief.

Anyway........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:46 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling Reply with quote

I think your calendar is about 5 days off.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling Reply with quote

Ha!
Honestly not an April fools joke..... April 1 is also my grandsons birthday....... also the day we found our "money pit" retirement home.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling Reply with quote

Imagine yourself throwing a peace sign at the next Vanagon and being totally ignored. Heart breaking.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling Reply with quote

Would a portapottie be acceptable or are you looking to shower and or bathtub with your van?

The gowesty toilet box is really nice and works well, just no shower option Smile
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling Reply with quote

I've got $5999 cash and can be there tomorrow. PM me.
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling Reply with quote

The forum would sure as heck miss you. So, here's my solution. Buy a cheaper retirement home that needs work, and use the skills you have proved you have to fix it up. Keep the Vanagon. You will never find another in the shape you have whipped that one into.
Here is how I figure it. I consider each one of my hobby vehicles as a sunk cost. It cannot be sold for anything of value, because it is a sunk cost. Therefore, I get to keep it! And because I have been doing that for 40 plus years, I still have my first car, and my 3rd, 5th cars (all Volkswagen Vans)and all my significant motorcycles (BMW's). If you follow that logic, your Vanagon is worthless, and cannot be gainfully sold to fund other frivolious projects like homes and all. It's worked for me.
But seriously, I hope you keep the Vanagon. You have put so much into it. Good Luck!
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling Reply with quote

Wow. And this was the only place Jersey was well-represented.

Say it ain't so, Joe. Say it ain't so. Crying or Very sad

Ever consider temporarily trading your van? Join the list.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling Reply with quote

No one can tell you how to go on these things. I'd sure miss you though. Your build thread is a great resource and inspiration... one of the best on TS, imo. And I hear you... I'm facing a ton of medical bills this year plus time lost from work and while I will weather the storm, selling off my Westy would be a quick and easy way to even out the books. Heck, we've all been there.

My advice would be to get a loan from the bank to fix the house. Interest rates are still low. As far as the van goes, I think it's more of a question of your needs and how you like to camp. Domestic RVs certainly have their advantages, but I'd suggest renting one to try out before committing to selling the Vanagon.

My gut tells me you'd miss the van and the community. You'd become the guy who approaches us at gas stations talking about how he used to own one. And really... just read some of those boring domestic RV forums #Sleep

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling Reply with quote

I recommend against! It'll always be there, especially during those times when you want to get away from everything else. Plus, it's not going to rot if you aren't constantly infusing it with blood. Most importantly, I enjoy your pictorial excursions into NLALAND. Smile

And nobody else here shows quite the same curative passion you do for the documentation of the vanagon.

So keep your vanagon!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling Reply with quote

I am in the camp of taking out a loan to make ends meet for a while. You'll be hard pressed to find another cult like the VW.one.....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
AZ_CreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling Reply with quote

Dave,

New to the forum after owning my van for less than a year. It seems every thread I dig up when researching problems, you have contributed in one way or another. Hopefully you decide not to sell and if you do you should stay active here! Great knowledge bank!
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling Reply with quote

Dave,
I'd miss you too much!

Hear you though, I'd like a 2017 Westfalia conversion from Canada, but to buy it, I'd have to sell the 86.

Buy a lottery ticket!
Jeff
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling Reply with quote

Dave
Let us know what you get for it, I am always curious of how close you get to what you ask for it.
Vanagons are not for people who require showers every day while on the road and need a real toilet.
We spent a week in ours and bought a Porta Potti and that made all the difference for my wife.
Vacation homes our nice, I do mine the easy way as my inlaws own it and we just go use it.
Think long and make the right decision Grass Hopper.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling Reply with quote

Yeah...no...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=644577&highlight=american
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling Reply with quote

Don't do it. You've spent a lot of time on that van and you are a great part of the community. The level of detail in your threads is astounding, and greatly appreciated.

If you sell the van, you will end up spending so much more to replace it when you need to get a new one once you tire of the American van. Conversion van's are great, but they just don't have a soul. They are easily replaceable and don't offer that same type of "Fizz" as James May calls it. The vanagon is just such a funny and unique car and the community is fantastic. Keep it, love it, enjoy working on it. I bet you could pick up a conversion van pretty cheaply and have both if necessary too.
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling Reply with quote

The world must be coming to an end when a guy that has started over 400 threads, posted over 18,000 comments and added 4,000+ pictures decides to walk away from Vanagons. Yikes!
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling Reply with quote

That's areal shocker for sure Dave!
I've considered the same direction for similar reasons. The van just does something to a road trip that no other vehicle could. I even tried a diesel truck and trailer for a week - no joy.

I guess everyone's trail forks at some point. While I don't know you personally, I know you have given this plenty of thought for quite a while and wish you all the best towards making a clear choice that suits your needs.

I am one of possibly thousands who will miss you greatly.

Jim
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling Reply with quote

After just spending a month in Baja and looking at a wide variety of rigs that people use for everything from camping to living indefinitely in, my partner and I have concluded that most conversion vans, small RVs and trailers only offer a marginal interior space increase in exchange for a massive penalty in exterior size.
I was considering the possibility of upgrading to a larger rig for more room and comfort but the family of four we met who are traveling for a year in their westy put me to shame.
I will admit to retaining visions of an LT 40 4X4 with a stand up shower inside though!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling Reply with quote

Dave, it's no big deal. I'm not sure what your looking for by posting this?
Sell the box. The van was purchased because there was some expendable cash. Now you could use the cash. So Sell it.
It's just a POS Vanagon. It will never be a Split Window, and those guys will never wave to you anyway.
The van is just another expendable, and approaching a market demand record high. Dump that fluid loosing beast while people can still afford the dream of freedom on the road. Our economy has some time left? There is somebody out there farting in their office chair wanting it right now.
It will become their pressure relief valve. They'll search thesamba all day while at work vibing the life as they wait for the whistle to blow. Whatever modern day shit storm they are in, they'll sit in the bane of it to new levels because they now have your Westy to outfit and make reliable.
We will explain how to work the rear wiper and explain you have to press the shifter down to get reverse. Oh wait you have an automatic ditch that last sentence.
Life for the new owner will be just a few more paychecks to get those last things from 'GoWesty, then freedom. In their heart there will be peace though. You can give that sense of peace to somebody. Your Westy will now be waiting for them. Let's hope they don't finance it.
You don't have to give a crap about that though, just get the cash. You're old school and got in early. A fist full of dollars will be your folley. They'll know if it ever gets any more oppressive, absurd, or demeaning, they can flip the bird and quit. Providing they paid cash and aren't carrying a note on the rig.
Then they'll start hemorrhaging fluids down the highway to the nearest rest area. VanLife begins again! Glad to see your getting yourself free! Dam, the amount of time you'll have everyday not having to sensor my posts will be liberating. I wish you the best. I think you do a hell of job here! If you move on? You will be missed! Lets work on your Ad as a group for you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: