Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thinking of selling - Revisited - Sold
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Yes, I could use a camper for a work Van but in my opinion that would be like someone using the family Volvo Station Wagon as a work vehicle.
It is just "odd" and puts forth an unprofessional image.

Weird, I was telling someone about the tradesmen I observed in Switzerland. One had a Volvo wagon, loaded with ladders on top and painting supplies in the morning. Later I'd see it with all that stuff gone and the family in it heading out.

I'd also see people using small trailers behind their one and only vehicle during the work day.

But hey, we Americans think you need a pickup once you own a home (full disclosure - we own a pickup-ha!).

Personally, I'd rip the Weekender interior out of it, store it and put a tradesman interior in it, as opposed to getting another Vanagon up to snuff - or just get a US blank van.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

Did a 300 mile trip in the Vanagon Saturday into Sunday.
What a joy to drive, nary a miss or odd behavior!
I'll miss the old girl........

Here is why I'd never use the Weekender as a work vehicle.

I ran out to Reading to help my Daughter install interior trim in her house.
I also brought her a rototiller and a dresser before going to my house out there and packing it full of tools!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then I brought home two mowers and various other crap!

I've been a nervous wreck thinking that I'm going to damage my interior!

No, no finished interior for a work Van!
BTW..... NOT as roomy as you might think!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

So...... letting go of my Van might have just gotten easier!

I just Talked to my Sister In Law a few minutes ago (Southern Oregon) and I mentioned the Van will probably be going away....... she was "really?! Melissa My Niece in Washington...... BTW NICEST PERSON EVER!!!) would really like to have one"..........

It may stay in the family!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
So...... letting go of my Van might have just gotten easier!

I just Talked to my Sister In Law a few minutes ago (Southern Oregon) and I mentioned the Van will probably be going away....... she was "really?! Melissa My Niece in Washington...... BTW NICEST PERSON EVER!!!) would really like to have one"..........

It may stay in the family!

Dave

Totally awesome. First buyback clause invoked, naturally
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

A perfect plan!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

I've been a nervous wreck thinking that I'm going to damage my interior!

Dave

You are in obvious need of a $2,500 domestic van. Or even better, a box truck with a lift.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/2011-Isuzu-NRR-14-Box-Truck-Liftgate-/323185756986

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

Looking forward to your niece Melissa's first Samba post [with pics, of course] detailing her R&R on a CV joint, or a new heater mod, or... Smile

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

Shocked
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

B.O.B.Wanders wrote:
Looking forward to your niece Melissa's first Samba post [with pics, of course] detailing her R&R on a CV joint, or a new heater mod, or... Smile

I can’t wait to hear the rants about all the screwy stuff the PO did. “The P.O. wired it this way...” “The P.O. used bailing wire for that...”

The whole van can’t possibly be as well put together as the build thread shows...or can it be? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

....and the snarkback attacks...
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

The whole van can’t possibly be as well put together as the build thread shows...or can it be? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

No, it probably isn't.

I've found that individuals have a wide and varying level of acceptance for vehicle "oddities".

If I have a problem, and I know what it is and it really doesn't bother me, I tend to accept it.

For instance, on this Van the steering wheel creaks and squeaks with every movement. This would drive some people totally INSANE!!.
I however am one who loves the antique wooden screen door hinges creaking as the screen door is opened and then self closes with a "BANG!" There is something oddly comforting about that squeak. It speaks of summer at my Spinster Aunts home up in Catskills I guess.

The steering wheel I will fix before it goes away.

When I put in a house battery system/shore power system, I ran a 120V wire to under the passenger seat. Why? to power a battery maintainer and to power the electric refrigerator when on shore power.
Did I ever hook this wire up under the back seat? No I didn't. I have an extension cord running out of the rear seat heater vent hole across the floor!

Again, this never bothered me for I never ran the fridge on shore power and I only use the battery maintainer when I'm NOT using the Van. I'm sure it would drive other folks nuts!

There are a few other oddities that really don't amount to much but it is better to have them well sorted for others.
I don't want to be spoken about in these forums as one of THOSE PO's!!

Oh, my cruise control never worked as it should. I'm just going to pull it out. It will probably do better in my Ghia?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause
Yeah! Lets all welcome Daves niece Melissa to the show (cult).

Welcome home Melissa. You have arrived. Very Happy Applause Dancing Applause Dancing Very Happy Very Happy

Later Dave. We will catch you on the flip side with the Geeahh folks Rolling Eyes

Damn this site needs more girls.

PS should have bought the retirement home in Tucson.. No need for all those mowers.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

Adios, muchacho.

In the west a westy or syncro are in part like bank accounts. They go up in value annually and far exceed today's interest rates. Couple this with function and use while appreciating and there are very few other vehicles on the road as daily drivers today that can say the same.

Now consider that '11 sob van or '13 sedan or whatever with money flying out the window in depreciation. Unless it's a real collector vehicle it's going to depreciate unless it's already hit rock bottom (and decrepit). And few are going to use a collector car for a work vehicle like you can with a Vw bus/van.

Need to protect upholstery ? Use blue tarps or mover's quilts. Need more room to haul lawn mowers and tillers ? Pull a small trailer. Very simple concepts here. Need a day or two at the shore to air out ? Drive a westy.

If it were me, I'd sell the 'vacation home'. The westy is the vacation home and it rolls. Want more room ? Step outside and enjoy the environment or connect a house tent or pull in to a motel.

The cure for boredom is adventure, folks, adventure. And don't give me the old age crudola .... I was born around the middle of the last century and am pushing 70. And can the working class hero corn ... you can make the westy into anything and do anything you need. But like jackbombay said -- the vanagon is most volumetrically efficient vehicle ever produced.

Once you let it go, the prospect of tip toeing through the tulips cheery picking another five years from now is remote. They are disappearing annually quite fast now not to mention the appreciating acquisition expense.

Around 2010, consignment prospectors from England came to the US and CA and purchased over 3500 excellent condition Bay buses and westies for export. Have you seen any nice one's rolling around your 'hood lately ? Maybe only at the Vw shows now ? And that was just England. Australia, Germany and Japan are other favorite locales on the hunt in NA. Like the Splitties before, I think the same is about to happen with what's left of the better specimen vanagons.

Unless you can't stand the looks of a Vw van/bus/westy anymore and are barfing out your gizzard, terminally ill or have the IRS pursuing, hang on to it.

This should stir up some chat Wink
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

Quote:
Around 2010, consignment prospectors from England came to the US and CA and purchased over 3500 excellent condition Bay buses and westies for export.

Oh. I didn't know that. How hard can it be?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

The six months that I was Vanagonless in 2002 were traumatic for me, so I can't imagine being without one. However, like my dad has always said, "it's just stuff."

Do what you have to do and if the time comes around when you want to jump back in, that next Vanagon will be waiting for you.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

Last night and this morning I decided to make a list of what I've done to my Van...... this is what I remember doing. Shocked

Here is what I did that I can remember......

Vanagon "Weekender" ......... NO KITCHEN ...... seats 6 sleeps 4

New three window top canvas
Cleaned top of mold and mildew
Painted exterior of pop top
New pop top seals
Jack Bombay top assist shocks
New roof vent
New roof vent crank assembly
Roof vent screen
Removed all top bunk foam rubber and upholstery, cleaned and refreshed

All new seat covers
Repair foam on seats as needed
Removed carpet, steam cleaned
Installed heat shield for radiator hot foot syndrome
Removed entire interior
Cleaned and lubricated as needed (rear seat/bed latch works but not as designed. The system design eludes my mechanical "how does it work" fix it abilities. It also a minor thing so not a lot of effort was put into fixing it)
Removed entire plywood floor assembly
Clean, painted, repaired as needed
Installed new vinyl floor
Ran multiple 12v wires for house electric system
Ran multiple 12v outlets in eating/sleeping areas
Install outside shore 120v power outlet
Wired Van interior for 120v
Battery maintainers for house and vehicle battery
Installed house 12v batteries and blue Sea charging system
Installed Blue Sea house fuse panel
Installed wiring from alternator to charging unit
Installed Dodge Center Console with 12v, cup holders and storage (removable)
Ran extra wires to dash from house battery if needed
Ran new speaker wires to rear speakers
Removed rear wardrobe, cleaned and repaired
Removed rear A/C and shelf cleaned and repaired.

Rebuild Air Conditioner, new Compressor, new hoses, new condenser, new rec/dryer, added Binary cut off switch for A/C, removed and cleaned evaporator, lubricated A/C fan. Charged system with R12a refrigerant (RedTek)
Added A/C compressor cut off switch, this allows the use of the rear fans without running the compressor. It also allows you to shut off the compressor if extra power is needed or cooling issues arise.
Added switch to manually turn on Radiator cooling fan if needed. Using rear heater fan switch
Added air filter for Air Conditioner intake

Redesigned Heating / Fresh ram air system to allow complete turning off of ram fresh air.
Designed cabin air recirculation feature into heater box
Removed, lubricated, adjust all heater/vent control system cables
Piped dash side vents for warm air (was only cold outside ram air)
Eliminated ram air to rear of Van
Sealed all air flaps with new foam seals
Installed new heater Valve, Ford style
Installed Jeep style heater fan blower resistor
Installed in line heater hose shut off valve (TK style) by heater core as redundant heater shut off.
Removed, repaired and recovered dash
Installed front cup holders
Repaired glove box retainer
Made new shifter lever slot covering

All new dash bulbs
Installed tachometer to replace large clock
Installed digital clock
Cleaned ground tree above fuse panel
New windshield washer nozzles
New washer hoses
(Washer pump never fixed)
(Heater control slide panel light inoperative)
(Rear wiper inoperative)
Eliminated rear washer tank (leaked, caused rust out)
New interior door light assembly
Repaired table light assembly, new cover and bulb
Installed new speakers in doors and rear using original speaker covers

Added 12v gauge to monitor battery levels and charging.
Installed switch to choose starter battery level or house battery level viewing
Labeled dash switches
Added Oil Pressure gauge
Repaired odometer
Install one piece speedometer cable, eliminated EGR light switch

Resealed front windows, new window run channels and scrapers
Cleaned and Lubricated window lift tracks
Cleaned and adjusted vent window operation
Install Jeep style mirrors
Removed broken glass from RF door, cleared water drain holes
Cleaned and lubricated door lock assemblies

Removed sliding door....
Fixed rusty slide channel
Installed new bearings, used silent slider style where possible (no loner SCEETCH! SLAM!!
Used PTFE tape where possible
Installed NLA digital "Printed" sliding door bumper

New rear deck lid shocks
Cleaned interior of lift gate, fixed corner rust spots.
New push button seal
Cleaned and lubricated lock assembly
(Does have rust spot by glass rubber)

Repaired both OG side window screens
Lubricated sliding window locks
Replaced Sun Visors

Removed engine,
Cleaned and painted engine area
New rod bearings
Reworked with 1.9 rods, non stretch bolts
New piston rings
Honed cylinders
Redid valves
Removed all hydraulic lifters, cleaned oiled and reassembled
Injectors rebuilt by "Mr Injector" in Idaho
All new rated fuel line, tank to engine to return line to tank.
Eliminated fire wall fitting
New fuel pressure regulator
New fuel pump (Bosch)
New fuel filter
New fuel tank
Replaced plastic fuel tank fittings with brass
New fuel level sender
Replaced ground point for fuel sender
New expansion tank seals and hoses
Eliminated charcoal vapor recovery (have a new one if desired)
Rebuilt Starter motor, replaced broken drive pinion
Rebuilt alternator, new QUALITY BEARINGS & brushes
Installed GoWesty Alternator reinforcement (version 1)
New wire from Alternator to starter
New oil pressure sender switches
Metal coolant fitting on right cylinder head
Replaced rusty power steering lines with new hoses front to rear
Relocated power steering fluid reservoir
Relocated idle control relay into water proof box mounted by the PS reservoir
Rebuilt TPS switch
Installed fuse for Fuel injection system, previously unfused (in black box LF engine area)
New ignition coil
New plug wires
Filed ignition timing notch on flywheel
Installed new air filter intake pipe in Right Rear "D" Pillar
New fuel injection Temp 2 sender
New temperature gauge sending unit (repaired decayed wiring to sender)
All new engine seals

New Water Pump
ALL new cooling hoses (stick shift style)
All new hose clamps
ALL new heater hose to front (except for hoses into and out of heater core)
Tested heater core, cleaned and reused
New plastic Thermostat housing and cover (have a new aluminum housing, never installed)
New Thermostat
New plastic coolant distribution tower (stick shift version)
Eliminated water cooled transmission cooler, installed Van Cafe solid state cooler.
Eliminated rear heater under rear seat
Installed RMW aluminum coolant pressure tank
(Still running plastic cooling pipes front to rear, in very good shape)
New radiator
New radiator cooling fan resistor
Removed, cleaned, lubricated radiator cooling fan
New radiator fan thermoswitch

New Valve body in automatic transmission
Installed oil drain plug in transmission pan
New transmission governor seal
New axle output flange seals

Cleaned transmission ground cable

Installed LED third brake light with warning flasher

Installed front 2" receiver hitch for basket/bike rack
Install rear 2" receiver hitch for basket/bike rack
Wired for trailer lights but never towed

Fixed rust spots on body from leaking rear washer bottle
Fixed rust spot in engine area shelf left side

Fixed rust Right Rear Fender lip
Cleaned out all body seams, resealed and touched up color seams where done outside as well as inside where possible.
Removed saturated insulation above transaxle causing rust
Plugged rear heater hose holes

Ran extra wires from engine area to dash area

Sealed all areas known for easy mouse entry

Cleaned all ground points in engine compartment

New Axle CV joint boots,
Cleaned and regreased CV joints
New CV joint bolts with schoor lock washers
Added grease fitting for rear axle bearings
Cleaned and greased bearings
New axle seals
New shock absorbers

Replaced rear brake hoses
Replaced rear brake shoes
Rebuilt rear wheel cylinders
Rebuilt brake adjusters
Rebuilt brake pivot pin assembly
New brake adjuster hole boots

New Master Cylinder (2017)
Removed and clean brake equalizer valve
New front brake hoses
Rebuilt calipers
New brake pads
New brake discs
New front wheel bearings
New front wheel seals

"E"Code halogen headlights
Headlight relay add on
Added Daytime Running lights
Cleaned high beam lights inside
Made new adjuster system for lights
Repaired horn system by adding relay, (in a water proof plastic box above horns)

Touched up any rust I found as I repaired various bits around the body
Removed nose "hood" dent
Lubricated wiper pivots
New wiper pivot seals

Cleaned/repaired all exterior lighting
Replaced old cracked lenses as needed

Repainted wheels
Repainted wheel covers
New tires (4) while in Grants Pass (2017)
Cleaned and painted both door entry steps
Installed additional step on front and side doors

Installed awning

Have rear decklid tent
Have front windshield curtains

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle

Last edited by djkeev on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:54 am; edited 2 times in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

Very Happy

Shocked

Shocked

Shocked

Laughing

Cool

We know what you have been doing instead of hanging out at the bar.....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

Reads to me like a routine 15k service.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

Shocked That's a brand-new Vanagon.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Shocked That's a brand-new Vanagon.

No kidding! Shocked

elizer wrote:
Reads to me like a routine 15k service.

Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: