Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thinking of selling - Revisited - Sold
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

List it for $75,000 so we can bash it in the "whine" thread!
Definitely put the pictures with the lawn mowers in the ad. That is a great way to make an exit, oh the fun we'll have!
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
List it for $75,000 so we can bash it in the "whine" thread!
Definitely put the pictures with the lawn mowers in the ad. That is a great way to make an exit, oh the fun we'll have!
-d

IF it was a Syncro......... maybe....... Laughing

If you read that list, what I have NOT done is suspension bushings and related items.
The unit rides well and I don't demand race car performance from it. If it ain't broke........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
If it ain't broke........

then you are not trying hard enough..
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Shocked That's a brand-new Vanagon.

I've had three extended cross Country trips with only the most minor of problems, sadly.... most were self inflicted by over sight on my part. Embarassed

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
So...... letting go of my Van might have just gotten easier!

I just Talked to my Sister In Law a few minutes ago (Southern Oregon) and I mentioned the Van will probably be going away....... she was "really?! Melissa My Niece in Washington...... BTW NICEST PERSON EVER!!!) would really like to have one"..........

It may stay in the family!

Dave

WIN! Do what ya gotta do, but keep it close if you can... Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

New ignition coil

djkeev wrote:
New ignition coil arrived to replace old one with rusted cracked terminal.
Same Bosch numbers as the original, only made in Brazil.
0 221 122 349
Part number
00 061

Gave the new one a few coats of clear Laquer to keep rust and corrosion at bay.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

This is the post that finally made me say “this is an amazing build”. Sure, this was 29 pages in but to see Dave laquer the new part to keep corrosion at bay made me realize this is going to be a clean van for a long time. I thought it was neat at the time and it stuck with me for a few years. That’s a good build thread.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

Your reaction was better than mine. Razz There's a saying an engineer friend of mine has said, "The #1 cause of problems is solutions." Considering the exploding coil issue with extended idle, it made me wonder if coating the coil with lacquer would exacerbate that issue by reducing the heat transfer/dissipation.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

I think if the lawnmowers work together you Can market it as a synchro with a set of Snapper tools
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

Waldo, that is an interesting quote. I understand, but not sure I agree, unless the waterboxer and much of the Vanagon was part of the "solutions" that the engineer spoke of. I can think of no other vehicle that has so many issues that need upgrading. From the ignition switch to the floppy mirrors to the alternator mount to the waterboxer cooling system to the stretch rod bolts to the digijet idle system to the 3/4 slider to the air conditioner to the seam rust to, well, you get the idea. So we need solutions to the solutions. I seem to remember a German company that painted coils for decades. Was the discontinuation of that practice due to heat buildup or economy of production?
Which brings me to my point. Dave, look at that list you wrote. You have accomplished all those solutions, and enjoyed it and the trips you have taken. Now you have a van that you know and can trust. And, many of the rusty bits that are seized together with rust have been dissembled in the comfort of the garage. Potential roadside maintenance is simpler due to the footwork you have done these last years. Can you imagine doing it all again?
The reason I keep pushing on this is that I once sold a motorcycle that I had invested a lot of time and money in, and ultimetly enjoyed it immensely. I sold it during a weak moment when I thought I needed the money. I did need to spend some of the money, and it took 2 years to save up enough, and find a motorcycle that I could replace it with. Then, it was to go through the whole thing to repair it's potential issues, so I knew it well enough to trust it long haul. I learned from this lesson, and I have not sold anything like that since.
So, I will get off my soapbox. I think the most interesting thing is re-reading your original post from last year. You talk about the loss of missing the community. I think that's a message, to yourself. The community is responding to you, 5 pages worth. You will be missed, and you will miss your van.
Sell it if it's not a mistake, but if you think it is, figure out another way. There often is another way.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

"The #1 cause of problems is solutions."

I agree completely. The internet is full of home-baked solutions that address one part of a system while ignoring the other 99 parts that the engineers carefully considered as a system (we won’t mention the marketers and bean counters here). That said, sometimes the engineers, bean counters and marketers (we’ll mention them here) miss an opportunity and it’s nice to see the internet gang fill those gaps.

I don’t know where coil finishes fall on that continuum.., Very Happy

As for Dave’s conundrum, it seems like a Ghia build could fill the need for a dialed vintage car, a $2,500 domestic van can fill the need to haul lawn mowers and tools and some unknown rig can fill the needs for comfortable x-country travel (perhaps with the head, etc.). The Weekender may not fit in the stable.

Come to think of it, my grandpa owned a Ghia and a 70s GMC van. This just got a bit weird. Oy. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I think if the lawnmowers work together you Can market it as a synchro with a set of Snapper tools

Well..... the mowers are now both working, Start up on one pull now.
One was mine from the house, a curb find I fixed up, it wasn't used at all last year. I got a rider because of my knee.
This is going to a coWorker with a young family struggling to make ends meet.

The other was a curb find by my daughters house. An almost new (wheels aren't even dirty) $400 Toro electric start with pace self propulsion.

It had sat with fuel in the carb for a year or two and inside was a gooey yellow mess.
A quick drain and clean, an oil change, a new plug, and vroom! Off it goes.
This one will return to the house..... keeping it mainly for the electric start feature. Wife says she needs the exercise.....we shall see!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

Tbob wrote:

So, I will get off my soapbox. I think the most interesting thing is re-reading your original post from last year. You talk about the loss of missing the community. I think that's a message, to yourself. The community is responding to you, 5 pages worth. You will be missed, and you will miss your van.
Sell it if it's not a mistake, but if you think it is, figure out another way. There often is another way.

No, I appreciate your opinion.

Fact is, life changes while you are making other plans.

Honestly, we aren't camping now. We have a "travel pod"
We used to camp more when we had the 66 Ghia back in the 70's! But we were young and resilient too!
As I mentioned at the rebirth of this thread, I am going to need a Van for part time retirement income, probably a handyman kind of thing.
I haven't any interest in a full size American Van.

In the service industry I feel that your transportation choice tells others about you.
If you have a modern over priced full tricked Mercedes Van, you are saying "I charge way too much!"
If you drive a rusted out 80's, 90's 00's Van with dents and scratches, you are saying, "I just don't care. I don't care about my stuff and I certainly won't care about your stuff."
If you drive a vehicle that is clean, in good shape, nicely lettered, no matter the brand or Vintage it says, "I am a PROFESSIONAL, I take pride in what I do, you are in good hands with me."

I, because of my age, want an older Van. One that looks nice and is nicely lettered, but is an unusual vehicle. One that stands apart and says, "I've been doing this for half a Century, I am experienced and competent, I take care of my stuff. Relax.... all will be just fine, Grandpa is coming with his tool box to fix what ails your house."

To this end I will probably seek out a Vanagon Tin Top. I'll focus more on appearance than the long distance endurance I did with the camper. I won't be often traveling more than 10-15 miles from home.
My daughters social network would probably keep me hopping for years! Whenever I do things for her home her friends are aways asking if I can come do XYZ for them. I need extra cash, not a new career.
Fix this, fix that, paint, garage doors, new windows, trim, hardwood floors, etc.
old guy stuff, no additions or big projects.

I'll look for a tin top once my Ghia rolls, I cannot let it sit decaying once again.
If a super bargain (I'd even consider an air cooled) falls out of the sky sooner, it will simply park and wait patiently in line behind the Ghia for attention.

Cross Country travel?
Yes, a more modern freeway cruiser has a big appeal. The ability to actually do the Speed limit in Montana would be a welcome change! Laughing Laughing
Honestly I am stangely drawn to the Ford Transit Connect. Shocked As a potential travel pod. Used ones are getting cheap now.

I am thinking that a West Coast trip in the Ghia would be fun at least once.
When complete it will have A/C (thanks TK for your online A/C education! I'm building my own in dash system!) and a hitch for a small motorcycle sized pull behind trailer.
Maybe one of those campers where a full size tent camper magically appears from a two foot square box!

Anyway, no plans to leave Vanagon, a hiatus from ownership until the next one, a tintop, finds me.
I'm done with campers.
I know where two Bay Window campers lie rotting away in yards. I am resisting stopping and knocking on doors........ now if they were tin tops........ somewhere that unloved and unwanted Vanagon tin top sits next to a garage waiting for me.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

Bang!

Fisrst classified I see when opening them up!
91, needs motor, $2500, tin top

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2165308

They are out there........

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

How you can’t pass when a seller writes...

“AC was not working when it was parked ”
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

If you need a retirement van and don't camp any more--take a look at my retirement mobil workshop/tool box/truck/car/and sometimes motel. There is a Multivan, but I don't think any gets any more multi than mine. Check out jump seat hardware for extra seat when.......... Also note grill behind driver's seat. That's where the rear heater went. The ECU is in the rear quarter panel, so nothing to damage or be in the way of loads. Glove box gone so 14' 2 x's will fit with rear hatch closed.

Unfortunately, soon after this photo was taken, my best crystal decanter (ya gotta look good on the road) fell out and was broken,

The tailgate was one of the best mods I did. A pair of beefy strap hinges with the pins driven out and ground so they come out with fingers. Chain straps (covered with canvas to eliminate rattling--and idea I stole from my parents '41 Ford woodie) with the top link cut so they can be lifted off. <45 seconds to remove for engine work. I have a tent that goes over the hatch so on rainy days epoxy and so on won't get wet.

Gonna add a ragtop this summer for ease of standing and loading awkward items.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Bang!

Dave

Go get it. You can buy the long block off the '91 I am driving back to MD this weekend. I am going to replace the existing long block with a Rocky Jennings rebuild anyway. Let it sit behind your Ghia until that is done. Bingo! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Bang!

Dave

Go get it. You can buy the long block off the '91 I am driving back to MD this weekend. I am going to replace the existing long block with a Rocky Jennings rebuild anyway. Let it sit behind your Ghia until that is done. Bingo! Very Happy

I have a good complete 86 2.1 waiting for a refresh and a home sitting under a tarp in my driveway. It is my "just in case" engine. But I can't carry it like the other smaller parts!

But..... I'm not going to buy anything right now. It does look nice but getting it from Texas....... and deals always pop up.

I must admit when I saw it this morning I thought YES!!

but then logic prevailed......

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

I was going to suggest the transit connect until I read your post.

It makes sense sticking with a Vanagon. If anything goes wrong you are already familiar with it enough to troubleshoot the problems. You have all the tools and a bunch of spares to deal with the issues.

Plus the transit can't fit a full-sized sheet of plywood. I think you can in a vanagon.

This is a local company in our area but they have the creepiest paint job. I suggest you do something similar. Peekaboo.

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
This is a local company in our area but they have the creepiest paint job. I suggest you do something similar. Peekaboo.

I frequent another forum that features an "A**hole Parking" thread and it looks like this job qualifies.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of selling - Revisited Reply with quote

DuncanS
Yes, thats what I'm thinking. A work vehicle, looks good on the outside, utilitarian on the inside.

Thanks for posting, those photos really show why a camper cannot be a practical work van!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: