Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lawn mowers!
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Lawn mowers! Reply with quote

I saw this on another site and thought I'd post it here where there is a lot of interest in all things fabrication--from cars to wagons to bikes of all kinds, why not lawn mowers!
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/go-karts/124444-mini-push-mower-project.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Lawn mowers! Reply with quote

Mad fab skills!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Lawn mowers! Reply with quote

Wow! Too pretty to mess up with grass clippings and dust and the like.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Lawn mowers! Reply with quote

Honestly, that is an appliance I had never thought to customize. Though I do recall quelling the urge to paint flames on Dad's new riding lawn mower when I was 16 and he was on a two week motorcycle vacation. I guess the thought of getting my ass kicked kept me away from the masking tape and spray cans.

Dad was a cop. I was a scrawny kid. We're cool now, though.

On topic, the free Snapper from @1984 that I picked up at the dump to mow the ditch next door might need some custom work this summer. Driving lights and a tail fin? Really small flames?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Lawn mowers! Reply with quote

I was happy enough with my yard mower when I fixed twice in 2016: replaced a broken "sacrificial" key, and replaced a leaky carb float. With new machines costing $200 with warranty, typically not worth paying for a repair on these.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Lawn mowers! Reply with quote

Very cool! Even a "hood ornament".

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Lawn mowers! Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I was happy enough with my yard mower when I fixed twice in 2016: replaced a broken "sacrificial" key, and replaced a leaky carb float. With new machines costing $200 with warranty, typically not worth paying for a repair on these.

What are you cutting in Phoenix rocks and cacti? Don't look at the new Honda mowers they start around 700. My fav used to be the old two stroke lawn boy.
Real easy to fix, light all aluminum.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Lawn mowers! Reply with quote

Holy crap thats Kool. Now you got me thinking, I picked up a 1976 Troy-Bilt garden tiller the other day at the local pawnshop. Runs, but needs restored.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Lawn mowers! Reply with quote

I would have loved to be mowing the yards in my neighborhood with such
a cool looking machine back in the late 1950's

Totally cool Wink thanks for posting it
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Lawn mowers! Reply with quote

I have a garage wall full of 50's-80's Clintons, Briggs & Stratton Tecumseh and a Cushman. Late Father-in-Law was into small engine repair. Gives me some idea's Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Lawn mowers! Reply with quote

The oldminibikes site brought back a bunch of memories. I lusted after a mini bike in grades 4 through 8, but that was never happening in my family.
Thanks PattyB for the cool mower and the trip down memory lane.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Lawn mowers! Reply with quote

Ive got a 70's crapsman rider .looks about new. and....hear it comes........ there it go's .........didnt you hear it?? no??? Ive got a electrick riding mower. that sucker is quiet and dosent stink. that way I can sneek up on the grass&weeds.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Lawn mowers! Reply with quote

This Jetsons model for the wife looks like it has air conditioning? Very Happy

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1021141232...mp;theater
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Lawn mowers! Reply with quote

Another offer to join Facebook, thanks but no.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Lawn mowers! Reply with quote

While pushing the Toro around dealing with my hate/hate relationship with the lawn I dream of Flymo
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Lawn mowers! Reply with quote

The custom fabricated mower is really well done, I like that the builder seemed surprised how well it worked out.

Flymo is still around - http://www.flymo.com/uk/products/hover-mowers/
Looks like the new ones get good reviews too

Old 2-cycle lawnboys are the best, light and easy to maneuver.
Mine usually starts in a pull or two.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Lawn mowers! Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
The custom fabricated mower is really well done, I like that the builder seemed surprised how well it worked out.

Flymo is still around - http://www.flymo.com/uk/products/hover-mowers/
Looks like the new ones get good reviews too

Old 2-cycle lawnboys are the best, light and easy to maneuver.
Mine usually starts in a pull or two.

I barrowed a Lawn Boy from a family friend when I was a kid to mow our lawn.
I hit wooden scrub brush and broke the about six inches of the discharge chute off of the mower deck. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Lawn mowers! Reply with quote

I mowed a lot of grass with those as a young teen. Liked that they worked well, hated the offset front wheels.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Lawn mowers! Reply with quote

I've been refurbishing Lawn-Boy 2 stroke mowers for nearly 10 years now. It started when I was a little kid cutting lawns, but it became a massive addiction for a few years.

Here are two of my favorites. a 1970 5024 with the 'bricktop' engine design, and a 1878 8232AE with full alternator charging system, electric start, and 'capstan' style friction rear wheel drive.

Fun fact, the 'cap' in my username is a reference to said system, and the 10323 is another lawn-boy model number.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: