Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diagram with specs and wiki
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Diagram with specs and wiki Reply with quote

Have you thought about putting something up sort of similar to a wiki with drill down diagrams? We see diagrams like these in the manuals and on sites such as Wolfsburg.

For instance, you could have diagram for a car where someone could click in a certain area and then in that area it would show the bolts. For each bolt it would show the size, torque, specification, etc.

Then another diagram would show all of the parts for that area. You might even be able to put sponsored links to those parts at certain suppliers.

Also, on maybe the bottom half of the page you would have tech notes. For instance when someone clicks on the distributor you could have timing notes. I see many notes repeated in the forum and this would give us all a way to reference notes that have been 'scrubbed' clean.

I have thought about this idea a few times and why I like it is because sometimes it is difficult to search for exactly what I want because I do not know what it is called. I can find it on my vehicle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagram with specs and wiki Reply with quote

It's not live-linked like you are asking for, but the Parts Books break things out this way.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagram with specs and wiki Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
It's not live-linked like you are asking for, but the Parts Books break things out this way.

Is that on this site?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagram with specs and wiki Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Is that on this site?

Some are, in the Technical area of the site.

The Beetle Parts book is not. I have several of them from various years. The largest one is HUGE.
My copy is not in the greatest condition but even if someone had a nice copy it would be a huge undertaking.
What you described above would be even more work, my guess would be about a year of work.

The torque specifications are not in the parts book but a lot of them are on here too, in the Technical Section under the "Without Guesswork" booklets.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagram with specs and wiki Reply with quote

By the way, some parts vendors have this, at least for many of the parts they sell. ISPwest does this for several Types.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagram with specs and wiki Reply with quote

True.

http://www.vwispwest.com
and
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/

Have nice diagrams similar to the Parts Books where you click on stuff to order parts.

There is a 1967-era Bus parts book at
http://oacdp.com/

Type 3 parts book here
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type3_parts_book/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Diagram with specs and wiki Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
What you described above would be even more work, my guess would be about a year of work.

Are you speaking of the programming part or the part to enter the information?

The programming shouldn't take that much time as long as you have a way to implement the clickable maps.

I do see creating those maps and the information in them taking a long time but I expect just as the forums are created from user content and help these would too.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Diagram with specs and wiki Reply with quote

With hundreds of parts and a dozen different models the logistics are significant!

Or are you volunteering for the job pro bono?
Wink
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Diagram with specs and wiki Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Are you speaking of the programming part or the part to enter the information?

The programming shouldn't take that much time as long as you have a way to implement the clickable maps.

I do see creating those maps and the information in them taking a long time but I expect just as the forums are created from user content and help these would too.

The scanning of multiple parts books page by page and either entering or verifying/correcting the data (If you used OCR) and connecting it all together.

Remember that some of what you requested is not in the parts books, it would need to be collected from other sources and entered as well.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagram with specs and wiki Reply with quote

I understand the difficulty. I assume it will all have to be created. If you get the page that allows creation of the diagrams I would be willing to help out to create the diagrams. If you can't do it on a web page I could help with a desktop application to create it. We would just need to have an integration point.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: