Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2002 Jetta transmission issue, how serious?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
platatomi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: 2002 Jetta transmission issue, how serious? Reply with quote

2002 Jetta, 148k.

Had my car at the mechanic for another issue, and after test driving, one of the techs said the transmission was slipping. The guy I talked to hadn't driven it so he couldn't give me any specifics, but said it would probably be fine. Though recommended a fluid change to see if that solves it.

I know enough about cars to be suspicious of this. Really, changing the fluid will stop it slipping? I know the new friction modifiers may make a difference, but if it's slipping it on it's way out anyway, right?

I've never noticed it slip. it DOES shift funny from 1st to 2nd, where the revs sometimes 'hang' momentarily in first before it drops into second. It does this very sporadically, and after it does, the next 1 -> 2 shift is usually much faster and firmer, like the computer is compensating.

I haven't been worried about it because it does not flare, jerk, slam into 2nd, just pauses briefly. It has done this for 18k miles now, so obviously it's not going downhill fast.

I think this is a sticking solenoid. Do you agree, and if so, would changing the fluid help significantly?

No idea how many miles are on the tranny, I find it hard to believe the original could have made it to 148k miles.

Update -

No longer daily driver but still fixing things...
mehran_mo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Jetta transmission issue, how serious? Reply with quote

I don't wanna talk negative but depend to the persons some workshops start to bold small things to make money. changing fluid (if its long time not changed) will make gear changing smother and in most cases fix the delay or rogh gear changing. but if you feel it ok and gears are changing smoothly in both condition when the car is cold and also when its warm then just drive and enjoy it.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Jetta transmission issue, how serious? Reply with quote

As a technician for 35+ years, it's my experience that new fluid rarely does anything to fix a transmission, but does wonders to the bottom line. If the fluid is low, yes, new fluid may appear to have fixed it, because you will top it off when you are completed.

It's most likely the electric solenoids that are acting up. This is a fairly common issue. The only problem is that you could spend a lot of money replacing those bad parts and find out the transmission is no good.

It's a crap shoot that is usually blamed on the technician. The only 100% fix is to rebuild the transmission which may be overkill.
platatomi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Jetta transmission issue, how serious? Reply with quote

Thanks for you thoughts.

Do you think resetting the transmission computer would help? I did this once before but don't remember if it made a difference, or if the problem slowly came back.

If resetting the computer does help, would that narrow down the problem?

Update -

No longer daily driver but still fixing things...
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Jetta transmission issue, how serious? Reply with quote

only fix is a 5 speed swap..

the hang up between 1 n 2 is signs its failing.. ive not to date seen a rebuilt one last.. vw sold all their NEW ones years ago for pennys on the dollar but to look in the classified section here on samba you will find the people who bought and warehoused the invetory... sadley not as cheap as vw sold it for.. but less then the 3k each vw sold them for when they failed...
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Jetta transmission issue, how serious? Reply with quote

It would not hurt to reset the computer.

As for rebuilding the transmission, I've seen many last.
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Jetta transmission issue, how serious? Reply with quote

I thought I would post a reply here just incase to help people with sticky trans on a MK4 VW
Well I have a MK4 Golf GTi with Triptronics I was having warm up issues allowing it to go great in reverse until it hits 190 degrees on the dashboard gauge... I was looking at a bill of over 2k for a simple fix of sticky valves.
I was told of an additive called muscle up a lube that I had hoped to loosen up the valves but alas after 2wks nothing then by off chance my buddy suggested Sea Foam Trans so I checked out Utube and they had a video too
so instead of putting the full 16oz I put 8oz and ran it through the gears.
then I let it sit for 8hrs then I fired up the car and low and behold it engaged with out problems...so my MK4 friends if you feel like you have lag and some sticky issues before crumbling and spending that hard earned cash Sea Foam it
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Jetta transmission issue, how serious? Reply with quote

Keep us updated since magic fluids sometimes do not last.

I'm glad that you got a positive outcome.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: