Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Worn Upper Ball Joint | Moog
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Worn Upper Ball Joint | Moog Reply with quote

Hello All,

I wanted to get a gauge on how long your upper ball joints have lasted, or are lasting?

I swapped the stock ones out approximately 5 years ago with some Moog ones. I went in today to get an alignment since I recently installed a new steering rack, and the Moog ball joints that I had installed were totally worn! I'm a bit surprised.

What are your thoughts?

I have GW 1.5" lift springs with GW ball joint spacers.

FREEBIES: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkqzgREEtE9Aj7poRLxLuW-oGORuiQ?e=eSKThT
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Worn Upper Ball Joint | Moog Reply with quote

forrest.whitmore wrote:
...I wanted to get a gauge on how long your upper ball joints have lasted, or are lasting?...

84 Westy, front suspension is stock:

Uppers lasted about 25 years, 250K miles.

Lowers are originals.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Worn Upper Ball Joint | Moog Reply with quote

That is surprising to hear, unless you have a ton of hard miles on them in those 5years. I use lemfoerders and am happy. Never use Meyle, they will wear in short time. Ive had them wear in less then 5k miles before and almost destroy a new set of bfg tires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Worn Upper Ball Joint | Moog Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
That is surprising to hear, unless you have a ton of hard miles on them in those 5years.

Some Baja and highways...not a whole lot of hard miles.

Ahwahnee wrote:
...Uppers lasted about 25 years, 250K miles...

My stock uppers lasted the same...that's why I'm a bit dumbfounded by the "new" ones wearing out so quickly.

Colorado Yeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Worn Upper Ball Joint | Moog Reply with quote

Yep......used Meyle's when I fully rebuilt my suspension 4 years ago. Approximately 4000 miles later, one of the uppers was thrashed.....absolute utter crap. Just replaced it this last month. Never again.
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Worn Upper Ball Joint | Moog Reply with quote

no matter what the brand, i pull the rubber boots off, and look to see how much.
i always add grease, no matter what the brand.
i'm not a fan of the lifted springs, and ball joint spacers, many are, for free i wouldn't have them.
i would think it's that that may have shortened the life of your ball joints.
my opinion, i'm sure others will disagree

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Worn Upper Ball Joint | Moog Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:
no matter what the brand, i pull the rubber boots off, and look to see how much.
i'm not a fan of the lifted springs, and ball joint spacers, many are, for free i wouldn't have them.

Im not going to say whether the lift had anything to do with the OP bj problem. However I agree completely about the lift rubba. I've seen first hand too many suspension component problems from gowesty lift springs etc. usually its cv related, very short life due to the stressed angles, but its certainly possibly that lift could tax other components like BJ etc.,,
Good point on adding more grease, cheap insurance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Worn Upper Ball Joint | Moog Reply with quote

Colorado Yeti wrote:
Yep......used Meyle's when I fully rebuilt my suspension 4 years ago. Approximately 4000 miles later, one of the uppers was thrashed.....absolute utter crap. Just replaced it this last month. Never again.

Yea, I've known Meyle to be total crap, but I thought the Moog ones would at least have a long life.

rubbachicken wrote:

Yea, that definitely may have contributed to the short life. Spot on. Adding more grease seems to be the best bet regardless of brand. Idea

Chainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Worn Upper Ball Joint | Moog Reply with quote

Moog has been off the cliff for years, they just dont last anymore. Like so many things they made a name then quality went to pot.
Yondermtn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Worn Upper Ball Joint | Moog Reply with quote

Maybe these links would be helpful.

http://www.wagenswest.com/how_to/bus_vanagon_ball_comparison.php

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=538847&start=0
Viva.Sabata
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Worn Upper Ball Joint | Moog Reply with quote

Moog here. 20k miles and they are moving up and down. Just replaced them with Lemforder from T3. Hope they last longer.

GW 1.5” lift with Burley UCA. Incidentally the Burley heims are moving to and fro. Going back to my stock UCAs with GW ball joint spacers and power flex UCA bushings
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Worn Upper Ball Joint | Moog Reply with quote

$10.30 on Rock Auto.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,199...oint,10070

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Worn Upper Ball Joint | Moog Reply with quote

Some good examples of the tremendous added stresses from lifting the front end and the use of spacers. The only way spacers could be used is if the spacer was between the spindle and the joint, perhaps with a machined forging.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: