Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mid Engine Subaru EJ22 & 4EAT Auto Trans. Running. NOT THEORY
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid Engine Subaru Build with Subaru 4 speed Automatic Trans. Reply with quote

Magnifique!
Bravo!

1986 Vanagon GL full camper westfalia
(brown/tan interior)
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid Engine Subaru Build with Subaru 4 speed Automatic Trans. Reply with quote

I saw it a while ago on FB, I thought it got posted on TS too no?

Impressive work !!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Mid Engine Subaru EJ22 & 4EAT Auto Trans. Running. NOT THEORY Reply with quote

Thank you all for nice comments. It was a challenge, but a challenge that has yielded great satisfaction. I tried to answer questions asked in original post.

My reason for posting here is because it was originally posted on Facebook. At the time Facebook was searchable and could be viewed without an account.

. Since that time, that has changed. Facebook has isolated itself in bizarre ways so the Vanagon Cult Page has had every single member removed, been made unjoinable and unreadable with only a single member. This is because it can not be completely removed, except by Facebook. It took me 3 days to remove each member. I have repeatedly tried to delete my personal account but they keep reinstating it so I guess I will have to remove every single piece of content.

I will no longer participate in their bizarre experiment.

I used to use yahoo chat, it was great, bots ruined it. I used to use yahoogroups subaru vanagon site because the samba users were either syncro or purist snobs but they changed the format and ruined that.

Now subaru vanagon guys are at least tolerated here on thesamba and the forum is searchable so out of respect for the guys that shared their builds here and the ones that need the information like I did, I posted it here.

Hopefully someone gets something useful out of it. Cool

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid Engine Subaru Build with Subaru 4 speed Automatic Trans. Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

on this van, did the subaru engine not fit the engine space? why mid motor?

If it was mounted rear-engined, he would have 4 speeds in reverse.
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid Engine Subaru EJ22 & 4EAT Auto Trans. Running. NOT THEORY Reply with quote

Now that is an awesome project. Thanks for sharing! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
mustard675
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid Engine Subaru EJ22 & 4EAT Auto Trans. Running. NOT THEORY Reply with quote

Wow! Great post.

How come you chose to fabricate the engine "box" using wood instead of sheet metal? Sorry if I missed it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid Engine Subaru EJ22 & 4EAT Auto Trans. Running. NOT THEORY Reply with quote

Neil,
You have made something that does everything you wanted - even pull a sweet boat. I think that's what these vans are great at doing, providing a platform for just that.

We're certainly glad to have you here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid Engine Subaru EJ22 & 4EAT Auto Trans. Running. NOT THEORY Reply with quote

Where I really fell in love with it was the picture of the simple but beautifully crafted clip holding the 40 gallon fuel tank up. Beautiful work, I want to do something nice to my van now, thanks for showing!
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Mid Engine Subaru EJ22 & 4EAT Auto Trans. Running. NOT THEORY Reply with quote

So, you selling a kit for this conversion? Wink
Nice Neil.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid Engine Subaru EJ22 & 4EAT Auto Trans. Running. NOT THEORY Reply with quote

Thanks, no. I see no market for a kit. Drool

I do truly believe if I converted Westys using this method, built a trunk, and left the radiator up front I could sell the crap out of them for real money. 💰

I'd use a subaru 6 cylinder with a 5 speed probably.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid Engine Subaru EJ22 & 4EAT Auto Trans. Running. NOT THEORY Reply with quote

you are the man neil! I still haven't reviewed the entire page--up to the electrics--but using more suby equipment is better for performance and reliability--you qualify for the smog referee sweetheart award as well. I'll bet that power kit is nice and smooth. you just cant beat a factory-matched engine and transmission. todd
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Mid Engine Subaru EJ22 & 4EAT Auto Trans. Running. NOT THEORY Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:
Thanks, no. I see no market for a kit. Drool

I do truly believe if I converted Westys using this method, built a trunk, and left the radiator up front I could sell the crap out of them for real money. 💰

I'd use a subaru 6 cylinder with a 5 speed probably.

Neil2

It does look that with the radiator up front, this would protrude far less into the passenger compartment that I would have ever imagined! That's pretty intriguing when you see something contradicting what you would think.

I was thinking of the rear trunk when I saw this as well. Could be a pretty damn large space! Could even have a "wet locker" with a drain in the floor for wet suits, PFD's, or hauling fish home.

Great job and mad skills!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid Engine Subaru EJ22 & 4EAT Auto Trans. Running. NOT THEORY Reply with quote

Your skills are amazing! Not something I'd ever do when there are such relatively easy conversion products out there, but I applaud your tenacity, capabilities, and creativity.
Italjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Mid Engine Subaru EJ22 & 4EAT Auto Trans. Running. NOT THEORY Reply with quote

Just found this tread thrugh facebook, and I must say that is some fantastic work Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Mid Engine Subaru EJ22 & 4EAT Auto Trans. Running. NOT THEORY Reply with quote

This is a most amazing modification!

I have skills but nothing approaching yours.
Thanks for documenting and posting the project for us, I for one really appreciate you having done so.

Rough guess on hours invested?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Mid Engine Subaru EJ22 & 4EAT Auto Trans. Running. NOT THEORY Reply with quote

Great thread and excellent fab skills!! Very Happy

Having been through an engine swap and the spendy transaxle mods, I really like the idea of using the donor trans that is built to handle the power, geared properly and cheap to replace if needed.

Had I to do it again, I'd think about doing it your way (in-fact there is one person who did put a TDI in a Bay Window mid-engine). The only thing I'd do different than you would be to put the radiator up front or flat underneath to gain back the back seat.

Great stuff and thanks for such a detailed post. I hope it inspires more to think about this approach and maybe kits to make it easier for those with less fab skills.

Mark
syncrogreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid Engine Subaru EJ22 & 4EAT Auto Trans. Running. NOT THEORY Reply with quote

Nice work! Way to go for a 2wd! Enjoy that towing beast Smile

Greg

travel pictures:
http://instagram.com/crepeattack/

- the Pastis build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434656&highlight=subaru+diesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mid Engine Subaru EJ22 & 4EAT Auto Trans. Running. NOT THEORY Reply with quote

I thump my chest about having a 2.2 in my Vanagon. I feel inferior to this. I love the look of the rear with the Truck rear lid grafted in.
While I prefer my Mods to look stock and be 100% Reversible with out hours of work. I love the finished product and start to finish in 6 weeks, WOW.
Will you be going to Descend on Bend with this van? I'd love to look at at.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: