Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

learning from the Samba (or, better, the sambanisti)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: learning from the Samba (or, better, the sambanisti) Reply with quote

Had my first no-start today and went through some brief diagnostics:

• Fuel pump works
• Starter makes click as if it wants to work
• Jumping the starter battery from the aux doesn't work
• Metered both, they have adequate charge (12.5, 11 and change)

Hmm.

Went back up three flights to get a hammer (second trip, as I had to get the meter from up there), took a few good whacks at the solenoid, success…

Ran my errands, started twice more without incident.

So I need to be sure a hammer is in my tool roll…

I might have gotten there eventually but all my reading of threads on here paid off. Some of it I have no idea what's going on but I read on…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: learning from the Samba (or, better, the sambanisti) Reply with quote

it's good... but you can give some whacks till the day it won't stat even with a good beating...

Very Happy
Chainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: learning from the Samba (or, better, the sambanisti) Reply with quote

WACK IT!!👍
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: learning from the Samba (or, better, the sambanisti) Reply with quote

Classic "fix" for a sticky starter, but I gotta say I'm not a fan of your battery charge level(s)... FWIW:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Batteries were new when...???

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: learning from the Samba (or, better, the sambanisti) Reply with quote

Learning grammar too on TheSamba.

I would say, Sambanisti doesn't sound right, it sounds like the plural of sambanisto, which would sound italian, vs sambanista which we heard here before, more of a latin american origin, thus plural should be Sambanistas.

Cheers!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: learning from the Samba (or, better, the sambanisti) Reply with quote

i would not recommend hitting a starter motor with a hammer, they ALL say on them now, do NOT strike with a hammer.
i think you are more likely to do more harm than good.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: learning from the Samba (or, better, the sambanisti) Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Classic "fix" for a sticky starter, but I gotta say I'm not a fan of your battery charge level(s)...

I like that so much I went and found another (lead-acid):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: learning from the Samba (or, better, the sambanisti) Reply with quote

Yeah, my house battery needs a good topping up. If my planned 200 mile round trip tomorrow doesn't do it, I'll have some questions. The starter battery is of…indeterminate age. Installer never punched out the date codes so I'm at a loss. It might need replacing. The house battery is just a couple of months old and was discharged pretty deeply a couple of weeks back. Still catching up.

I'm not a fan of whacking things with a hammer (other than nails) but I'm even less of a fan of not getting on my way. So I compromised. When should I be thinking of getting a new starter in there?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: learning from the Samba (or, better, the sambanisti) Reply with quote

it depends...
Do you want peace in mind? if so then new starter and new main battery

Very Happy
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: learning from the Samba (or, better, the sambanisti) Reply with quote

Start with the battery, it's the cheaper option (maybe both need changing, but start with the cheaper one first).
I've been down this road before, thinking it was the starter when a new battery worked wonders...
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: