Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Woolverton/Woolverton & Sons History?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Woolverton/Woolverton & Sons History? Reply with quote

Hello Samba Members,

I'm wondering if any of you So. Cali residents know any history of the Woolverton VW dealership of El Monte? (Dealer 422/159).

I'm curious as to the history of the dealership: When it began, when it ceased operation, and when Woolverton became Woolverton & Sons?
(My dealer folder reads "Woolverton," however the maintenance record stamp shows "Woolverton & Sons"). And, are there any family members or former employees around? Etc. Etc.
Apparently they had an LA outlet as well. Note: On the dealer folder, it shows the El Monte 442-6150 telephone number, so it 'appears' that the 422 prefix was used as the first half of the dealer number, it this case 422/159. The LA phone number was 686-1051.
I've had no luck finding any history info using a Google search.

My '69 Beetle was purchased there, and according to the Maintenance Record portion of the owners manual, had it's initial (600 mile) engine and transmission oil change, and maintenance service on 02-07-69. Smile
There were subsequent services performed at Century Motors in Alhambra (422/123) and Colome Motors in Montebello (422/165), up to January 1971 (33,000 mile services lastly noted).

I've owned this Type 1 for two years now, and it's going through a s-l-o-w (and as thorough as I can) restoration. It's exciting to be doing this, and to know the Bugs' history. I've applied for a Birth Certificate as well.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for you time and interest!

Charlo/Southern Oregon
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Woolverton/Woolverton & Sons History? Reply with quote

I found this reference to Woolverton......a very old thread, but maybe a place to start and maybe a source for a plate frame.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=871491&highlight=woolverton#871491
cj92345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Woolverton/Woolverton & Sons History? Reply with quote

there was also a woolverton vw in Ontario calif, worked there shortly in the early 80's
Camuscletoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Woolverton/Woolverton & Sons History? Reply with quote

I’m hoping you get my reply to this, My Father was a Mechanic at that dealership in 1969 and I’m hoping maybe he might have been the one who Serviced that VW..
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Woolverton/Woolverton & Sons History? Reply with quote

Camuscletoy wrote:
I’m hoping you get my reply to this, My Father was a Mechanic at that dealership in 1969 and I’m hoping maybe he might have been the one who Serviced that VW..
WOW! What are the chances of that?
Charlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Woolverton/Woolverton & Sons History? Reply with quote

Camuscletoy,
How Wonderful that you found my post; on your first day with TheSamba too!.
The initials on the "Stamp of Selling VW Dealer" appear to be 'JRL,' which are also on the "Delivery Inspection" stamp location of the Maintenance Record - unfortunately it is not dated nor is the mileage shown (from the dealer lot).
As you can see, the first five maintenance procedures where done at Woolverton & Sons, from February through June of 1969. It's unfortunate that they are not initialed - so one would know if it were your father that did the service work.
I thank you for your post!!! Any info you may be able to provide me about the history of Woolverton, including any about your father that you wish to share, would be welcome and appreciated.
Regards.

Oct 2014 "found" in Pasadena, CA
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oct 2014 "found" Pasadena, CA

March 2015 Delivery to Oregon

origowner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Woolverton/Woolverton & Sons History? Reply with quote

I had my car serviced at Wooverton El Monte 1968 - 9. Yes it is the car I still have. If I remember right there was no LA locaton. The LA number was toll free from LA.
Moodster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Woolverton/Woolverton & Sons History? Reply with quote

"Note: On the dealer folder, it shows the El Monte 442-6150 telephone number, so it 'appears' that the 422 prefix was used as the first half of the dealer number, it this case 422/159. "

The pre fix was 443. I lived down the street from there in the early 70's and our number was 443-6666. So I don't see a correlation with the dealer number.

I do remember being on the lot in about 1974 with my dad and he was looking at a cool bay window bus. He never bought one though.
Camuscletoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Woolverton/Woolverton & Sons History? Reply with quote

Humm that’s a bummer that there’s no Mechanics information How ever the JRL if memory serves me right was John the service manager?? My Father was there’s until early part of 1979. I remember we used to have to stay in the back of our Pick up truck and camper in the summer when we were out of school during the day. We used to run the lot and I remember when the Things first came out and the Bays would come in. We used to pop the tops on them both and would help lot lizards wash the cars.. The owner gave us these toy Bugs that were pretty cool and if I knew then what I know now and we had held on to them.. 😞.. My first Var was a 58 Semiphore Bug I bought for $600 and it was 36h and 6 volt... drove it till I traded it for a 69 SQBack that I cal looked out , shaved door handles dropped and 1835 Blueprint and Balanced . Moved on to a 67 Ghia Vert which is still in the Family. Went to a 64 Notch and a 73 Standard Beetle. Those were the days..
MAVLAV1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Woolverton/Woolverton & Sons History? Reply with quote

Two different stores, same owners. Woolverton and Sons, El Monte, closed in 1983 when they opened Glenn Chevrolet in El Monte. Woolverton and Sons was Jack(father), Glenn and Larry (sons).

Woolverton Volkswagen was in Ontario, Glenn and Larry owners. Woolverton Volkswagen ceased business in 1995.

Thanks for the interest in my family's business.

Leslie Woolverton Valles
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: