Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

hashmaster3k's 1963 project
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: hashmaster3k's 1963 project Reply with quote

hashmaster3k wrote:
So since its truly not a 1600cc motor what would the previous owner had to do in order to switch it to being considered a "1600cc dual port" motor? Here are more pictures to help with identification.

DPO would have stripped engine to short block and installed DP 1600 parts as needed.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: hashmaster3k's 1963 project Reply with quote

Case number makes it June of 66. Heads, not case make it dual port which here in the US didn't come until the 1600. Pop off a valve cover and post up the number on the heads. It will tell you if they are 1600 or fairly rare here 1300 DP. Most likely someone rebuilt your motor using the 1300 case and put larger pistons, cylinders and heads on it making it a 1600.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
hashmaster3k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: hashmaster3k's 1963 project Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Case number makes it June of 66. Heads, not case make it dual port which here in the US didn't come until the 1600. Pop off a valve cover and post up the number on the heads. It will tell you if they are 1600 or fairly rare here 1300 DP. Most likely someone rebuilt your motor using the 1300 case and put larger pistons, cylinders and heads on it making it a 1600.

Either way, the decklid must be popped open in order to properly cool the engine correct? Instead of doing the pop out decklid? Is it possible to just keep the bottom portion (where the handle is) open with a tennis ball while driving then shut it completely for shows and stuff? Will that be proper ventilation for the engine?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: hashmaster3k's 1963 project Reply with quote

I've heard different opinions. Being in Colorado I'd guess you'll have less of an issue than here in Florida.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
hashmaster3k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: hashmaster3k's 1963 project Reply with quote

UPDATE: I finally got the bug stopping! New shoes, drums, springs, cylinders, master cylinder, rubber lines, new reservoir, bearings, and seals all around! I did not bench bleed the master but rather once everything was installed just bleed the brakes about 4 times (including braking a line at the master). Once I started driving I noticed the pedal would start to engage at 3/4 down. I did another brake bleed to get any last air bubbles out and adjusted the pushrod. I went by the "keeping your VW alive" book when adjusting. Loosen the nut, use the bolt to push the rod all the way, then half a turn out and tighten lock nut. All in all the bug brakes much better! Engagement point is a lot earlier, however I am getting a pulsation when braking. I assume this is due to the new brakes wearing in. I think it will decrease once they wear into each other.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: hashmaster3k's 1963 project Reply with quote

Pulsing is more likely drum/s are warped a bit. That will smooth out from wearing in the shoes.
When you readjust the shoes in the next week or two, adjust the parking brake for five clicks. There after you need to readjust the brake shoes when you get six clicks of the parking brake.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: