Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

84 Westfalia Vanagon, dormant for eight years - What to do?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigginbradley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: 84 Westfalia Vanagon, dormant for eight years - What to do? Reply with quote

I recently acquired this 1984 Vanagon camper. It has been unused for eight years but fortunately parked under cover and well taken care of. It has 70,000 original miles. I am a first-time Vanagon owner so please forgive me if any of my questions are elementary. I just wanted to see if there are any recommendations in terms of maintenance due to its dormancy. Everything seems to be running fine other than in it tends to want to die first start of the day. Here is a list of what I have done so far. Just FYI… I have zero mechanical experience.

1. New battery
2. Replaced fuel lines and filters
3. Changed all fluids
4. New spark plugs
5. New distributor cap
6. New ignition rotor
7. New ignition wire set
8. Replaced belts
9. Replace brake hoses
86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 84 Westfalia Vanagon / dormant for eight years / what to do Reply with quote

You're definitely going to need tires but it sounds like you've done the basics for rehabbing any vehicle. Does it start? Take it for a drive and see what it needs.

Congrats on your new toy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 84 Westfalia Vanagon / dormant for eight years / what to do Reply with quote

Replaced the fuel?

Oh and let's see some pics.

Craig
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 84 Westfalia Vanagon / dormant for eight years / what to do Reply with quote

Your going to want to flush that coolant, and dispose of properly. Once you get it running check the brakes and wheel bearings.

If the van then proves to be reliable and your brakes and engine are solid, start working on replacing the suspension bushings to improve ride handling and safety.

Yes, drain and replace fuel.

Good Luck

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bigginbradley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 84 Westfalia Vanagon / dormant for eight years / what to do Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bigginbradley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 84 Westfalia Vanagon / dormant for eight years / what to do Reply with quote

It starts easy and sounds good. Drives good, stops good. There is a minor squeeking sound coming from the left front that squeaks to the rhythm of the wheels turning. I replaced the tires with the only thing available in order to drive the vehicle back home after purchase. These tires are underrated and will need replacing. I see many folks going Gowesty 16 wheel and tire combo? Thanks for all info. I'm a rookie so this is very helpful.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 Westfalia Vanagon / dormant for eight years / what to do Reply with quote

nice looking rig…you did well. And you're off to a good start with fixes and safety updates. The wheel and tire stickies (especially the tire one) will be worth your time.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 Westfalia Vanagon / dormant for eight years / what to do Reply with quote

I suppose you have got underneath? I would check the coolant pipes, I believe 84 still used the metal ones and those tend to rust out, switch to plastic ones if they need replacing, you don't want to lose coolant flow!
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 Westfalia Vanagon / dormant for eight years / what to do Reply with quote

the best coolant pipes are stainless steel and cost about $500

sounds like you have made a really good find Exclamation

next thing is to inspect everything carefully, and then get it back on its long-term maint. schedule - goWesty has an entire library full of stuff
Bigginbradley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 Westfalia Vanagon / dormant for eight years / what to do Reply with quote

This is the only place I could find a hose kit for an 84. This do the trick? http://www.van-cafe.com/1.9l-hose-kit.

Do 16 inch wheels and tire upgrade really improve the ride considerably?
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 Westfalia Vanagon / dormant for eight years / what to do Reply with quote

no, but you have a choice of less rubber for a harsher ride, or bigger rolling radius that may eff up your gearing Exclamation
Bigginbradley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 Westfalia Vanagon / dormant for eight years / what to do Reply with quote

Is there a risk of damaging the manual transmission by moving to 16s?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 Westfalia Vanagon / dormant for eight years / what to do Reply with quote

Bigginbradley wrote:
This is the only place I could find a hose kit for an 84. This do the trick? http://www.van-cafe.com/1.9l-hose-kit.

Do 16 inch wheels and tire upgrade really improve the ride considerably?

FWIW - I have an '84 (with 4X the miles that are on yours).

- The big coolant hoses are original and still quite pliable - so I have never been tempted to replace them.

- The metal coolant pipes have not rusted.

- I still run 14" wheels with an appropriate tire (Hankooks in my case).

All I am saying - do some inspection and thoughtful consideration before to pursuing lots of replacement & 'upgrades'.

BTW - That looks like a very nice van.
Bigginbradley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 Westfalia Vanagon / dormant for eight years / what to do Reply with quote

All of this good grown up advice is killing me;) I will try to suppress my want for 16s. I would like to fix the rear ac though!
Chainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 Westfalia Vanagon / dormant for eight years / what to do Reply with quote

Congrats on the new van! Got my self an 89 with 70k on it not to long ago so wanted to share a tid bit. Wheel bearings! I just did mine, its shockimg how little grease is packed into them stock. Also repack the CV joints.
Bigginbradley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 Westfalia Vanagon / dormant for eight years / what to do Reply with quote

Got front wheel bearings packed today. I'm assuming there are no rear wheel bearings? I don't know what a CV joint is but I'll figure it out👊! This forum is crazy helpful.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 Westfalia Vanagon / dormant for eight years / what to do Reply with quote

Nice find! Welcome to the invanity!

Do a lot more research on going to larger wheels. There is plenty here to find and read about it.
Right now just drive it and instead of going to bigger wheels/tires right now invest in a Blazecut to go along with the Fire Extinguisher you are going to buy. Cool

Clean all your electrical grounds. Corroded grounds will effect the running more then you might think.
Perhaps think of upgrading the headlights...you'll find out why!
You say it's been sitting for a a good while I would think about replacing the seals on the brake master cylinder just to know they are new.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 Westfalia Vanagon / dormant for eight years / what to do Reply with quote

Bigginbradley wrote:
Got front wheel bearings packed today. I'm assuming there are no rear wheel bearings? I don't know what a CV joint is but I'll figure it out👊! This forum is crazy helpful.

If it is round and it rotates it has a bearing!

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 Westfalia Vanagon / dormant for eight years / what to do Reply with quote

Chainsaw wrote:
Congrats on the new van! Got my self an 89 with 70k on it not to long ago so wanted to share a tid bit. Wheel bearings! I just did mine, its shockimg how little grease is packed into them stock. Also repack the CV joints.

Do not overpack the bearings! That will cause them to heat up. It's a Goldilocks thing...too little is not enough, too much is too much, but there is a just right!

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 84 Westfalia Vanagon, dormant for eight years - What to do? Reply with quote

if you change tire diameter the final drive ratio is messed up, as small as a 10% change in diameter can really be determental on mountain roads, you may end up down shifting too much. these engines are under powered, the stock gear is set to optimize this, any change may effect this badly.

also 16 inch rims with same diameter tires will not change the final ratio, but you loose side wall cushioning, and you become more prone to rim damage, less off road ability. save the low profile tires for your sports car, not your camper, else you may not be able to go over that rutted dirt road to your camping spot.. dont go for useless bling, think function for camping. now if ypu stay on the highways and camp at a paved KOA camp, then you might consider low profile tires for the cool look, but functioality be damned

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: