Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speakers & Kick Panels
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
julesmast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Speakers & Kick Panels Reply with quote

I purchased the kick panels from glass action so I can install some front speakers. Would anyone want to share what kind of speakers and size they are using in a similar setup? I realize there is not a lot of right or wrong to this and its more personal preference.. However, I would love to hear what brand speakers are putting out some great sound as you cruise down the road before I make a purchase!

Laughing

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7711662#7711662
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Speakers & Kick Panels Reply with quote

Hi Jules,
Well you're going to get all sorts of opinions on "good sounding speakers", I have always been an a/d/s fan so I would be looking around on ebay for a good used component set from that brand but the cost can run pretty high. Another good set from the old school days would be Soundstream Exact or SPL series. Those would be my preferences.
But new you can have Pioneer, Alpine, Infinity, JBL, Polk etc that have volume sales and can usually be found for fairly inexpensive prices, and then there are Diamond Audio, Focal, JL Audio, on the slightly higher end IMO.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Mavans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Speakers & Kick Panels Reply with quote

I run this set up and am pleased with the sound...

http://www.jbugs.com/product/USA630-68-79-KIT-4C.html?Category_Code=vw-stereos-beetle-68-85

I'm not happy with my Glass Action kick panels.. contrary to what the sites advertises for my Convertible, they provided only 1" of clearance. I made and added my own speaker rings to them to get sufficient mounting depth. The Rockford Fosgate P1650 6.5" speakers I mounted in the panels only have a 2.25" mounting depth.

Previous: 1973 SB Autostick, 1977 Vert
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers & Kick Panels Reply with quote

Mounting depth is an issue. I eded up with a 4" neodymium system and modified glass action kick panels
since I wanted a discreet sunken appearance.
http://www.axton.de/speaker-2/atf-n-coaxialsysteme/?lang=en
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note the felt on the driver side hasn't the speaker cut out yet.
hperez71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers & Kick Panels Reply with quote

How are the kick panels attached to the car? Can the stock carpet be used? My vert came with ugly 6x9 boxes in the cargo area behind the back seat. Not a fan of 6x9s and when the top is down they are pretty much covered by the top boot. Would like to change them soon.
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers & Kick Panels Reply with quote

Maddel, that looks really good.

I attached the kick panels with flanged sheet metal screws, I think about 3/8" long or so, then covered with carpet.

Speakers used front/rear

I added rings to the panels to ensure no depth issues plus I liked the slightly raised look. I've never knocked into the panels getting in/out.

Rears on removable shelf over 10" sub/amp

I'm sure that there are better systems out there but for me the sound is really clear with a nice range.
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Speakers & Kick Panels Reply with quote

hperez71 wrote:
How are the kick panels attached to the car? Can the stock carpet be used? ...

I affixed them using this stuff: http://gluetec-industrial-adhesives.com/product/ms-polymer-black

If smartly aligned the Glass Action kick panels will be covered by the stock carpet.
But I had to modify the panels quite a bit to do so...
jfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Speakers & Kick Panels Reply with quote

Maddel wrote:
hperez71 wrote:
How are the kick panels attached to the car? Can the stock carpet be used? ...

I affixed them using this stuff: http://gluetec-industrial-adhesives.com/product/ms-polymer-black

If smartly aligned the Glass Action kick panels will be covered by the stock carpet.
But I had to modify the panels quite a bit to do so...

If you don't want to use sheet metal screws or self-tapping screws to hold your panels in place, something like that stuff might work; that way you're not putting shiny new holes in your car. Shocked I wonder if construction adhesive that comes in the caulk-like tubes would work?

As far as coverings go, if you can get the carpet material to cover, that looks dang sharp. That won't work for me, so I have some "auto carpet" that I got at Wally World (you could probably get it at AutoZone, too) that should blend nicely with the black carpet I have on the floor. I will just cut to fit, then glue it to the GlassAction panels I have... Actually, I might try to prep the panels tonight and then maybe I'll post pictures... not guarantees, though!

As far as speakers, I decided to go with 5 1/2" Kicker 2-way speakers up front in the panels. In the back, I will do 6"x9" Kicker 3-way speakers. I got my new speakers off eBay for a good price (vs local stereo shops and big box stores). I went with the Kicker brand since it seems to have good overall review of range of sound and clarity AND it fit my budget. I also like that they are all black and not ridiculously flashy in nature. I want them to be there, without stealing the show; know what I mean? The rear speakers will be in boxes for now, until I build a fancy-pants shelf like TX-73 did. That looks sharp! Best of all, it's removable!

SOLD:
1968 VW Beetle, Daily Driver, #68flybug

Photos: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=jfly
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hperez71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers & Kick Panels Reply with quote

So panels are first attached with glue/epoxy or screws and then speakers installed (assuming holes were already cut and speaker wiring is done)?
jfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers & Kick Panels Reply with quote

hperez71 wrote:
So panels are first attached with glue/epoxy or screws and then speakers installed (assuming holes were already cut and speaker wiring is done)?

Yup

SOLD:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evillrdnikon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers & Kick Panels Reply with quote

Purchased the MAX kick panels from Jbugs! Hoping they work out! Anyone put Tweeters in their bug? If so where di you mount them? Was thinking if it would be possible to mount above the dash? or the top left/right corner of the windshield facing into the car.
jfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers & Kick Panels Reply with quote

The PO of my dad's Super Beetle installed tweeters in place of the little round dash vents.

SOLD:

Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers & Kick Panels Reply with quote

A few pics...

CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers & Kick Panels Reply with quote

Very nice kick panel speaker "boxes". I was planning on putting in ALPINE SPR-50C speakers in the front, however I didn't know how I was going to install them. Thanks for the heads upon these kick panels. I'll for sure be getting myself a set for my Sportsbug.

I've read good things about the ALPINE SPR-50C, so am leaning towards those. No decision yet on the 6x9's for the rear.

Thomas
CWAVE
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Speakers & Kick Panels Reply with quote

I put Focal's in my son's bug, with those glass panels. Had to put a ring to get them to fit.
Turned out that with his color scheme and all, leaving the panels uncovered worked out pretty good. Only issue I have is that they used silver screws on a black panel Evil or Very Mad

There isn't the overwhelming sound quantity/quality that I was hoping for, but the kid doesn't seem to notice for now.

On the tweeters, I saw several images on the glass site where they just put them above the speakers, just need to cut that extra hole.
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers & Kick Panels Reply with quote

I recently made my own speaker panels, because I couldn't get panels for the 1303 (super) beetle.
I made them out of plastic that I've put a speaker "bulge" into it by heating it up.
Pictures and explanation can be found on this post on my website.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris913653
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers & Kick Panels Reply with quote

this is how I did mine, I tuned it so that the 5" I have in the stock position is just putting out the higher frequencies for some front staging, it's basically a tweeter.

Then I did a discreet install (I live in South Africa y'all, crime is an issue lol)

Customizing the deck that I bought that just so happened to fit perfectly:

Underneath, I put it on hinges so there's easy access and you can even hide things under there lol:

What it looks like to others (I straightened it out after this):

I have since added a slimline sub underneath the rear deck to give some more oomph, and I always get comments on "Oh my god, where is that coming from" lol - I also have a 72 with a generator so I didn't want to put in an amp that would suck too much power out of it.

It's not perfect but I am happy with it, I prefer to listen to the motor most of the time
Very Happy
pole_80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Speakers & Kick Panels Reply with quote

Maddel wrote:
A few pics...

Ciao Maddel, is your car a 1302 superbeetle?

I am really interested in your solution of kick-panel, did you create by yourself?
1990 T3 Multivan 1.6TD Whitestar Edition
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Speakers & Kick Panels Reply with quote

pole_80 wrote:
Ciao Maddel, is your car a 1302 superbeetle?
I am really interested in your solution of kick-panel, did you create by yourself?

Yes it's a 1302 S.

I used the Glass Action Super Beetle kick panels : https://glass-action.com/index.php/products/bug-super-beetle/Speaker-Panels-Sedan-p70394580
I didn't like the "out of the box" fit and modified them quite a bit.

I'm not into the plastic panels available over here in Europe so I bit the bullet and got the fiberglass
ones from the States since I was too lazy to create panels from scratch on my own... Rolling Eyes

Shipping & customs charges were higher than the price of the panels. Laughing
But it was worth the money & effort.

Drop me a PM and I'll trawl through my pic archive for further info.
Weezle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers & Kick Panels Reply with quote

gorgeous car. im assuming it came with the padded dash and is modded back to the classic look. Beautiful. if i ever got another bug it would be a 1302. right after my psych eval. Laughing

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604918&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=759868&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: