Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kick panel windlace channel orientation?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
uffdakev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Kick panel windlace channel orientation? Reply with quote

This is the area I am trying to reinstall the kick panel and windlace channel after nine years.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have the 2 channels:

Should it go in this way:

or this way:

Both ways cover the hole for the door switch wire. Why is there a cut out in the channel that doesn't correspond with the wire hole?

The kick board from Sewfine had a corresponding hole.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Kick panel windlace channel orientation? Reply with quote

Have you tried the other metal piece? Judging from the screw holes and the gap for the switch wiring, that one looks like it might fit on the RH side.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Kick panel windlace channel orientation? Reply with quote

I can't help with your question but are you able to measure the cross section of the channel and upload a sketch showing the dimensions. Mine are missing and I need to make up a pair and this would be very helpful.

Based on photos in different posts, there seem to be different versions of these channels - some have the cut outs and some don't. Anyone know why?
uffdakev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Kick panel windlace channel orientation? Reply with quote

Kiwi, it does the same thing on the other side, either too high or too low.

Mellow, here is my best attempt to draw the channel.

The gap (4mm) is dependent on the thickness of the kick panel which is inserted into it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Kick panel windlace channel orientation? Reply with quote

I answered a similar question in another thread with these photos so maybe these will help.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Kick panel windlace channel orientation? Reply with quote

It seems to me that different styled boards were used or are provided. Here's a photo of an original (from my '68 Ghia) with the later styled one above.

The dimensions provided by Uffdakev's accord with the original channel pieces from my car. The screw holes on the channel piece also match the screw holes on the later model boards.

Which leads me to ask this question: If the channels are from Uffdakev's car, then they must fit, and it should be the new board that needs to be cut to provide access to the lightswitch.

As an aside: Mellow Yellow is welcome to the channel piece in my photo. And the later styled boards with the levers and vents are available to go to a good home (meaning someone with a post '68 Ghia or an earlier Ghia with the later floorpans - with warm air outlets next to the seats and not on the elbow piece).
uffdakev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Kick panel windlace channel orientation? Reply with quote

Thanks Sputnick, I have seen those photos, but it appears that you have a 2 piece affair for the channel. I could just have the wrong channel for my year.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Kick panel windlace channel orientation? Reply with quote

Can you just cut another recess in the channel you have in the proper location and use it? It's covered by the carpet anyway, is it not? Seems like only the channel edge is visible once assembled.
uffdakev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Kick panel windlace channel orientation? Reply with quote

Pete, I totally agree. If I even use them (I'm thinking of using glass actions speaker kick panels) I would cut out that area to have access to the door switch. However I have a channel from a 74 donor car that is the same and in the picture Kiwi shows it has the same cut out. It's odd nobody knows why.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Kick panel windlace channel orientation? Reply with quote

uffdakev wrote:
Mellow, here is my best attempt to draw the channel

kiwighia68 wrote:
Mellow Yellow is welcome to the channel piece in my photo.

Just getting back to this now - thanks uffdakev and kiwi, I will have a crack at making some up myself based on the drawings and photos
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Kick panel windlace channel orientation? Reply with quote

I also need to make up the L shaped brackets for the rear windlacing:

Is anyone able to provide a drawing showing the dimensions and thickness?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: