Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shifting woes.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
z33taxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Shifting woes. Reply with quote

First off I want to thank everyone who helped with the wiring question I posted yesterday. That is all taken care of and of course something else pops up. I have been working on this issue for 2 days now and it has me scratching my head.

I just overhauled my engine. Complete rebuild. New clutch, resurfaced fly, new pressure plate. I DID NOT repalce my TO bearing because the one that was shipped was a newer style.

The problem The other day I was able to drive the car. However, an electrical issues caused me to bring the car back into the garage. At the time it ran R and 1st gear ran great. They previously were not engaging, but I consulted the manual(s) and forums and saw that I had to adjust my clutch cable, which I did. End play 1", worked great.

Today I hop in the car after rewiring everything...Start the car in Nuetral, go to shift into 1st **grind**. Try reverse **grind**.

So I jack the car up, check the wingnut and it looks to be in the same place, but I loosened it a bit and then tightened. I also messed around with the shifter plate and took the cover off the coupler so I could see it. Car started, I reversed out of the garage, and went up to third gear. I came to a stop. Tried shifting into first **grind**. Shifted into 2nd and drove home.
As soon as I got home, 3 mins later, grinds into every gear.

What I'm thinking is the clutch cable is either stretching or the wing nut is backing off. From memory I cannot confirm if it is an original wingnut with the "notches."

I have an idea to set the wingnut, get it to where all the gears shift and either throw two nuts above the wingnut or a nylon nut.

This will hopefully be the last issue I will encounter before my road trip. If this isn't resolved I obviously am not going to risk taking the beetle on a long trip. I one day ordered a bunch of parts which will be here either mon/tues. I ordered everything from the clutch pedal to the wingnut and everything to rebuild the shiftier bushing/coupler
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifting woes. Reply with quote

Quote:
my TO bearing

Sounds like the bearing fell off of the forks. Major boo-boo.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
z33taxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifting woes. Reply with quote

What could have caused that? the little ear clips?
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifting woes. Reply with quote

z33taxi wrote:
What could have caused that? the little ear clips?

Yes. The reason I know that might be it was it's happened to me. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
z33taxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Shifting woes. Reply with quote

IS there anything else it could that would be easier to check first?

I know i've messed with the wingnut a few times with results, albeit short lived, but I'm dreading pulling the motor again.
z33taxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Shifting woes. Reply with quote

I think I may just have found my issue
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=148307

I definetly have an older style throwout bearing and according to the pictures of my new setup I have no centering ring.

Question is, switch pressure plate? Switch to a newer style T/O and change the arm in trans?

Why didn't I catch this before. I have to look at my old pressure plate to see if that had a centering ring or not
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Shifting woes. Reply with quote

Quote:
Switch to a newer style T/O and change the arm in trans

More involved than that. To use the newer style TO bearing your transaxle needs a 'guide' tube around the input shaft. 'They' sell a retro tube that fits older transaxles. IMO stay with the older style TO bearing and put the ring back on the pressure plate. Hope that's all that needs fixing from this 'oversight'.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Shifting woes. Reply with quote

You have a 1968 transmission. You need a pressure plate with a center ring/collar. That's the easiest fix, and the right fix.

If your old pressure plate was not slipping, maybe use that (I doubt that the center ring from that will fit your new pressure plate, but "maybe"). Or buy a pressure plate with a ring designated 1967-1970 Beetle.

The clutch disc will be the same for either, no worry there.

I actually had to do the opposite when I installed engine from my 1970 into my 1971 a decade ago: I had to remove the center ring from my pressure plate.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
z33taxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifting woes. Reply with quote

Previous pressure plate. Seems to be ok. No chips or cracks. Straight. Is there anything missing from it? I know what looks like bushing in some images, but I didn't have a bearing when I pulled the motor; just the spline thats on the clutch disk itself.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifting woes. Reply with quote

That looks pretty good, has that center ring; if it was working OK before, I think I'd install that.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: