Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Autostick Grinds
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Autostick Grinds Reply with quote

I've read through the forums, with some help from sb001, trying to get an idea of what the issue is. The wire that is going to the shifter is disconnected. I pulled the shifter out to find the contact point. It appears to be deep inside the shifter. There is a brass fitting it appears to connect to. Is that correct?

If so, how do I get that grass fitting out so that I can solder it back on?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Grinds Reply with quote

Hmm are you saying that the wire is broken inside the shifter, at the point where it comes off the lower contact plate?
if so I am unsure how you would solder that back on. it might actually be easier to find another autostick shifter with the wire still attached. It may be able to be got to, but I have never tried it -- the only thing I have ever had to do with the shifter contacts is adjust them, which you do with the upper contact (pull the shifter boot up, loosen the locknut holding the upper contact in place, screw or unscrew the adjuster sleeve, then tighten the locknut back.)

Can you take a photo of it, maybe someone else will have an idea.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Grinds Reply with quote

BTW Kawfee I don't know if you are familair with this website but it specializes in autostick vehicles:

www.vwar.org

You might post this topic there and see if anyone has an idea.

1600 SP engine
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Grinds Reply with quote

Can I just ground that wire out and ignore hooking it up to the shifter?

Here is a picture of what I think is the contact:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here are some other pictures:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Grinds Reply with quote

Here's the outside of the connector:
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Grinds Reply with quote

Who makes the best parts for autostick rebuild/repair/replacement?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Grinds Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Can I just ground that wire out and ignore hooking it up to the shifter?

Well actually that wire IS a ground wire, it grounds the control valve in the engine bay when the contacts rub together to allow the control valve to operate (the control valve actually received power from a wire hooked to the + terminal on the ignition coil.)

So if you grounded it out, the control valve would be continously operating the clutch, without allowing it to reengage once a gear is selected. BUT you can temporarily ground it right now and see if allows the gears to engage when you have the car on, so at least you will know that is the issue.

That wire really needs to be affixed back to the contact plate in the shifter if you can figure out a way to solder it back on there (and yes that is the contact plate in the shifter.)

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Grinds Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:

Hold on a sec-- I KNOW sometime recently I saw a vendor selling that wire WITH the contact intact at the end of it. Let me see if I can find that again and I will post the link to it for you.,

1600 SP engine

Last edited by sb001 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Grinds Reply with quote

OK. Earlier I did try grounding it to see if it would shift. Thanks for confirming that would work.

I may try revving the engine up a bit to see if it shifts as well. I read that vacuum issues can cause it not to shift.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Grinds Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
kawfee wrote:

Hold on a sec-- I KNOW sometime recently I saw a vendor selling that wire WITH the contact intact at the end of it. Let me see if I can find that again and I will post the link to it for you.,

That would be good. I am going to try and pull the contact out. It looks like it comes out.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Grinds Reply with quote

Aha!

Good ol' Bughaus:

http://www.bughaus.com/Contact_Points_-_113713145A.htm

1600 SP engine
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Grinds Reply with quote

That brass contact pulled right out with some help. I'll drill it and solder in a new wire.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Grinds Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
That brass contact pulled right out with some help. I'll drill it and solder in a new wire.

Oh good. That should work too- or if not you can order that replacement wire with contact from bughaus I linked above.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Grinds Reply with quote

After you get the wire/contact reinstalled, and the shifter back together, adjust the contacts as follows:

Screw the upper sleeve downward until the contacts JUST touch together. Then unscrew the upper sleeve until the vertical travel of the shifter is between .25 and .4 mm. Then tighten the locknut and you should be good to go.

(If this adjustment causes the shifter to lean off center, you can loosen the lower locknut and rotate the shifter back into line, then retighten.)

1600 SP engine
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Grinds Reply with quote

That will be on my parts list so that I have a spare.

I drilled it out.

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Grinds Reply with quote

Thanks sb001. Hopefully this fixes it. I did try grounding out the wire earlier without results.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Grinds Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Thanks sb001. Hopefully this fixes it. I did try grounding out the wire earlier without results.

Let me know how this goes when you get it all back together. It may not be the only issue, we can tackle them one at a time.

1600 SP engine
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Grinds Reply with quote

I got everything back together. I revved the engine up a bit and tried to get it into gear. Nothing.

Another note, when I move the shift lever around I hear a little bit of whining. It's almost as if something is trying to engage but if I try to force it into gear it grinds.

I was reading on another thread there are some clutch adjustments/etc I can make at the transmission. Is this the next logical place to look?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Grinds Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
I got everything back together. I revved the engine up a bit and tried to get it into gear. Nothing.

Another note, when I move the shift lever around I hear a little bit of whining. It's almost as if something is trying to engage but if I try to force it into gear it grinds.

I was reading on another thread there are some clutch adjustments/etc I can make at the transmission. Is this the next logical place to look?

There are a few other things we can check before going there. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Let's run a jumper wire from that shifter wire straight to your control valve. (You can just run it around the outside of the car for now.) That way we can see if there might be a break in the factory wire. If you follow the shifter wire toward the back of the car, you should find it passes through a plastic connector under the rear seat. You can detach the shifter wire at that point and connect a jumper wire there. Then disconnect the other end of the shifter wire from your control valve (right side terminal in your photo above) and connect the other end of the jumper wire there.
While you are doing this, also one other quick thing to check- there should be an inline fuse on the power wire from your ignition coil over to the control valve. THis should have an 8 amp fuse in it. Please check to make sure that fuse is present and good.
Then try starting the car and shifting, let me know how it goes. (Also did you make sure to adjust the contacts in the shifter as I described?)

1600 SP engine

Last edited by sb001 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Grinds Reply with quote

The wire has electricity in it. It made sparks but I will try the jumper.

I did check the fuses. I try to check those first since they are easiest. There is a white fuse in there that looks good. The contacts on the device in the engine bay look a bit bad. I thought about cleaning them.

What is the whine/groan/low hum? Do you hear that when you move your shifter?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: