Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need a new fuel gauge sending unit
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Need a new fuel gauge sending unit Reply with quote

For my 1974 412. Will a unit from any other VW work if I can't find one for a 412?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new fuel gauge sending unit Reply with quote

If its a late 412.....it "may" have the arm and float style like a late bus. Or does it have the cylindrical tube type?
The only fuel gauge sender part # the book shows is 411 919 049. It is almost identical to the type 3 unit.
There are a few repair how to threads in the type 3 forum.

I think you were looking for one last year....and I never got around to measuring the length of my spare sender. I will do that in the am and poat it. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new fuel gauge sending unit Reply with quote

Okay, I just checked. It's the arm and float style. My 1971 411 has the cylinder kind.
So maybe a new Bus one will work on my 412?
I should add that the reason I think I need a new one is the gauge only works when the tank is full. As soon as it goes down a bit the gauge just drops to zero.

Interestingly, for a while I had a 411 clock and fuel gauge in the car. Of course it fit alright; the only cosmetic difference is the chrome bezel of the 411 model. But the fuel gauge bounced erratically; apparently the 412 sending unit didn't match up quite right with the 411 gauge?
SO now I have the original clock and fuel gauge back in. The gauge was dead with half a tank of gas; when I filled it up it went to "full" and is now working fine. But the tank is still full; I expect it to drop to "empty" when I've driven a few miles more.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new fuel gauge sending unit Reply with quote

Sorry.....I forgot to measure. But....so you have the arm type. I do not know the resistance difference in the two but I can dig it up.

If there is a big difference......yes......the gauges will be different. Can you post a pic of what the top mount with screws looks like? I have only cursory experience with the late arm type.
It "possible" that if the flgas tanks are the same....you could put in an earlier sender and earlier type gauge.

My parts book does not show 1974 so it may in fact be a bus type gauge. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new fuel gauge sending unit Reply with quote

I've read that maybe I can take my sending unit out and simply clean it?
Just a matter of gunk buildup in the tank over these many years.
I've used about two gallons since filling it up. The gauge dropped down to zero as I drove on level ground; when I parked on a slope ( driver's side downhill from the passenger side ) the gauge went back up to full! And then back to zero when I drove away again.
Not a huge problem, but still like to fix it.

I just checked online and several places sell the late-model bus sending units. They look pretty much just like mine. Should I order one?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new fuel gauge sending unit Reply with quote

kirk knighton wrote:
I've read that maybe I can take my sending unit out and simply clean it?
Just a matter of gunk buildup in the tank over these many years.
I've used about two gallons since filling it up. The gauge dropped down to zero as I drove on level ground; when I parked on a slope ( driver's side downhill from the passenger side ) the gauge went back up to full! And then back to zero when I drove away again.
Not a huge problem, but still like to fix it.

I just checked online and several places sell the late-model bus sending units. They look pretty much just like mine. Should I order one?

Very possible it could simply be varnish on the rheostat.

According to all I can find....which is never enough.....all the 411 and 412 had the same gas tank. Its possible you can just use the earlier cylindrical sending unit and match it with an earlier clock/gauge unit. Ray
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new fuel gauge sending unit Reply with quote

Arrgghh! I just switched out my 411 clock/fuel gauge and put the 412 one back in!
Do you think I can go with the bus sending unit? Several parts places sell them.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new fuel gauge sending unit Reply with quote

kirk knighton wrote:
Arrgghh! I just switched out my 411 clock/fuel gauge and put the 412 one back in!
Do you think I can go with the bus sending unit? Several parts places sell them.

I have no idea. I will check the books for gauge/sender resistance on each sender....then check to see what the bus gauge resistance is.

The thing I cant do is physically compare the two sender float arms. Even if the bus unit is the same resistance.....if the arm and float are made for a tank of different depth and cross section.....it wont help you.

Also post a picture of the top of your sending unit where it screws into the tank. Ray
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new fuel gauge sending unit Reply with quote

Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same issue.
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new fuel gauge sending unit Reply with quote

reluctantartist wrote:
Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same issue.

No - I just live with it. Make sure I reset the trip meter at every fill up. But one of these days I'll get around to it again!
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new fuel gauge sending unit Reply with quote

If you guys are still having issues with fuel senders, PM me. I have a friend in the VW business that rebuilds them better than new for $40.00
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new fuel gauge sending unit Reply with quote

What I need to figure out is if it the sender or the gauge. But that is good info to know thanks.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Need a new fuel gauge sending unit Reply with quote

reluctantartist wrote:
What I need to figure out is if it the sender or the gauge. But that is good info to know thanks.

If the circuit is like the Big and Type 3 gauges, with ignition on, you ground the wire to the sender and see if the gauge reads full. If so, the gauge itself is probably good. If not, the wire or the sender is bad.

By the way, make sure the sender is well grounded; some have added a separate ground wire to one of the hold-down screw to be sure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: