Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No endplay with 3 flywheel shims
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: No endplay with 3 flywheel shims Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm rebuilding my 36hp, and I'm facing a small issue.
With the original flywheel shims, I have no end play. I ordered thinner shims, but it will not be enough to reach the 0.07mm minimum play.
Is it totally stupid to put a thicker paper gasket.?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: No endplay with 3 flywheel shims Reply with quote

Have you calculated the exact shim size needed? If so, you can purchase a single shim of that thickness from Stoddard for a Porsche 356 engine.

They are the same inner/outer diameters as a 36hp VW. Porsche only used a single shim and is appropriate for our 36hp engines.

This is how I rebuilt mine and several others have gone down this path as well. For a long time, 36hp shims of various sizes were not available
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: No endplay with 3 flywheel shims Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. But it starts at 0.8mm, and it's too big.
I've purchased 3 pcs of 0.25mm shims from Virtanen, but it will be still a little too thick.

With the standard 0.20mm paper gasket, I have something like 0.76mm total play.
So my Idea was to put a 0.30mm paper gasket, 3 shims of 0.25mm, and I will end with 0.11mm of end play.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: No endplay with 3 flywheel shims Reply with quote

I'm trying figure out why your gap is so tight. Crazy to have only .76mm without shims.

I recommend posting the Vintage Speed section.

Perhaps the flywheel nose should be machined versus a thicker gasket
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: No endplay with 3 flywheel shims Reply with quote

Perhaps the Bearing is thicker than an original.
It's a REPCO bearing at 23mm wide.

Or maybe the guy who cut the trust to 23mm made a mistake.
I really don't know.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: No endplay with 3 flywheel shims Reply with quote

I would recommend machining the flywheel versus a thicker gasket. You know how much needs to come off and it better to be closer to the minimum end play.

Not sure how available machine shops are in your area, but that's a simple process
wurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: No endplay with 3 flywheel shims Reply with quote

What about machining the bearing?
What is the risk of putting a thicker gasket?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: No endplay with 3 flywheel shims Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend touching the bearing. The case thrust cut has to be exact or the bearing wouldn't fit. It's possible that the bearing flange thickness is causing the issue.

I do not like the gasket period. Another common practice is to use sealant in lieu of the paper gasket.

The paper gasket can get saturated in oil and tear or change its thickness. Either way it leads to leak I believe a thicker gasket would make this worse.

I'm not saying their is anything wrong with the standard gasket...it will work fine as proven over the years. I just wouldn't us a thicker one.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: No endplay with 3 flywheel shims Reply with quote

nothing wrong with using a thicker gasket since the ones that come with the kits now are nowhere near the thickness they used to be Wink
Nothing will bad will happen if you go that route.
Make sure there are no burrs, edges etc on the parts to keep from a solid fit.
Been thrashing these 36 HP for over 20 years and have tried nearly everything known to keep them going.
I usually run the single thick shim but this last time it wouldn't work so I used 3 thin shims and on thick gasket, good to go now.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
wurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: No endplay with 3 flywheel shims Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
nothing wrong with using a thicker gasket since the ones that come with the kits now are nowhere near the thickness they used to be Wink
Nothing will bad will happen if you go that route.
Make sure there are no burrs, edges etc on the parts to keep from a solid fit.
Been thrashing these 36 HP for over 20 years and have tried nearly everything known to keep them going.
I usually run the single thick shim but this last time it wouldn't work so I used 3 thin shims and on thick gasket, good to go now.

I don't know if you're saying right, but it's exactly what I wanted to read.
I will use top quality paper, even if I know that there is so much pressure between the crankshaft and the flywheel that the oik can't damage it.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: No endplay with 3 flywheel shims Reply with quote

OK is this better reading ? So much for proofreading Wink
3 thin shims and 1 thicker paper gasket.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: No endplay with 3 flywheel shims Reply with quote

There you go, that's the beauty of the forum.

The .30mm gasket will put you close to the maximum allowable end play though.

.07mm to .12mm
wurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: No endplay with 3 flywheel shims Reply with quote

I will play with the different gaskets and shims I have to reach as close as possible the 0,07mm.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: