Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tachometers and other auxillary gauges.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamtonio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

I hope this isn't a repeat topic. I am considering installing this NOS MotoMeter tachometer I picked up. I was thinking above the speaker holes on my dash since I don't have a speaker and no plans on putting one there and I wouldn't have to do any unnecessary modifications. I am curious to see how other people have done simar gauge mounting for tachs, oil pressure/temp, engine temp gauges etc...
Any info one might have about the MotoMeter tach I have would be appreciated as well.
Thanks for your thoughts. Please post photos!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"The more walking-around money I have, the less I walk around."
-Iggy Pop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

Here's a pic of my first 1971 bus. Notice the VDO oil P, oil T, and voltmeter plus the tach in the clock area

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jamtonio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Here's a pic of my first 1971 bus. Notice the VDO oil P, oil T, and voltmeter plus the tach in the clock area

That looks cool. What gauges did you use, especially that tach?

-Iggy Pop
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

All VDO cockpit series. Actually you can buy an adapter ring and mount the tach from the back so it looks correct. You can also buy a tach (not VDO) that looks original and matches your speedo. I have one in my current bus.

http://www.justkampers.com/tachometer-type-2-bay-window-1967-1971.html

These guys have good prices on gauges

https://www.egauges.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=21001
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
The real Curly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

These are some great ideas!!
Mine has nothing in that spot now, how do I get to it, do I do it from the back or do I pull the gauge panel and slide it out?

1931 Model A truck (Model A folks are smart and handsome)
jamtonio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
All VDO cockpit series. Actually you can buy an adapter ring and mount the tach from the back so it looks correct. You can also buy a tach (not VDO) that looks original and matches your speedo. I have one in my current bus.

http://www.justkampers.com/tachometer-type-2-bay-window-1967-1971.html

These guys have good prices on gauges

https://www.egauges.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=21001

Thanks for the links...I believe ispwest makes a tach that fits in the clock part of the cluster too. So many choices out there.
I like my MotoMeter tach, and think it could look kinda unique if mounted just right. It may stink up the place too. We shall see. I like the look of the smaller gauges on the lower dash.
I was also looking into outfitting a type 3 clock too on the cluster if my MotoMeter works out....
It's a whole new world for me to obsess about.

-Iggy Pop
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

You first have to remove the steering wheel. If it's been on there for the last 40 years that can be a real bitch. I finally bought a special puller so I wouldn't damage the SW. Then you've gotta remove the heater and fresh air levers and that can be a bitch if the plastic rivets are still in place. Once you do that you take off the speedo cable from under the dash and remove the four screws holding in the gauge cluster. Now you can slowly pull out on the cluster but several of the wires will be short so you might need to remove them and try to keep track where they go. Sometimes it's best to take the gauge cluster to the bench and check all the background lights using a test battery while you're at it. Then you mount the new tach and put it all together hoping you got all the wires installed. I usually forget to hook up the speedo cable but that's not too bad once you've done it.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

Quote:
You first have to remove the steering wheel.

I installed my VDO tach in the clock hole without taking my steering wheel off. Was pretty easy
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

That is a cool looking tach.....here's my solution.....not to everyone's taste, obviously.....it is one piece, 1/8 inch birch plywood, with an L-shaped wooden trim piece glued at the top, a few small screws hold it to the dash bottom, certainly would give away in an accident....

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

Nice workmanship there bro but who chose the colors?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
The real Curly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

But how does the tachometer/clock delete plate come out? Does it screw off the back?

1931 Model A truck (Model A folks are smart and handsome)
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

Nice work by both Aeromech and Rodmullet on the below-the-dash gauges. The only problem I see is that you have to take your eyes off the road for a loooong time to see and focus down that low. I made a funky mount that goes on top of the dash speaker location for 3 gauges and some computer fans for ventilation.
The clock delete pate come right off the back. I flipped mine over and drilled a 2 1/8" (?) hole in it and mounted the VDO tach in it.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

To each his own. If your happy with that set up that is all that matters.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

That Tach is not stock. There was no stock tach for a Late Bay. Most people install the VDO tach where the clock resides. I have every gauge there is but they are all hidden. You will see some beyond hidious examples of what not to do. Do not hack your dash board. VDO gauges are dog shit. Spend your money wisely and go with Dakota Digital. The only people that will say the VDO gauges are sufficient for trending are full of shit. They had a hard time opening their wallet and are trying to justify it. The Tach from VDO is good....the rest are not accurate...not even close.
jamtonio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

Rodmullet wrote:
That is a cool looking tach.....here's my solution.....not to everyone's taste, obviously.....it is one piece, 1/8 inch birch plywood, with an L-shaped wooden trim piece glued at the top, a few small screws hold it to the dash bottom, certainly would give away in an accident....

That's very unique! If it's a reflection of who you are as a person, seem like you a interesting and fun person to hang out with!

-Iggy Pop
jamtonio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
That Tach is not stock. There was no stock tach for a Late Bay. Most people install the VDO tach where the clock resides. I have every gauge there is but they are all hidden. You will see some beyond hidious examples of what not to do. Do not hack your dash board. VDO gauges are dog shit. Spend your money wisely and go with Dakota Digital. The only people that will say the VDO gauges are sufficient for trending are full of shit. They had a hard time opening their wallet and are trying to justify it. The Tach from VDO is good....the rest are not accurate...not even close.

Good info, I'll look into the Dakota digital stuff.

-Iggy Pop
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

my set-up... i used the radioblockoff plate from samba vendor 'werksburg' it fits right in and is stiff enough support the gauges. and i have room for one more if i need it.

the CHT diwn below is held on with 2 sided tape to the underside of the dash and is great. the wheel blocks my view when driving so im not alwaya seeing the blue light but its easy to glance down

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
jamtonio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
my set-up... i used the radioblockoff plate from samba vendor 'werksburg' it fits right in and is stiff enough support the gauges. and i have room for one more if i need it.

the CHT diwn below is held on with 2 sided tape to the underside of the dash and is great. the wheel blocks my view when driving so im not alwaya seeing the blue light but its easy to glance down

I love the use of the radio hole!!! I thought about that too, but have not decided yet on gauges. Great use of that space, especially considering all the different options for music systems linking to phones and what not, that do not use conventional car stereo applications.

-Iggy Pop
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

Dakota Digital CHT, OP, and OT under the radio (from Phil) if you want the template to mount them there, I have it.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:

Hey, is that one of those ASPX wide band meters?, do you like it?, how does it behave?, was the wire long enough?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: