Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tachometers and other auxillary gauges.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

Thanks to all that complimented me on my gauge panel....I am solely responsible for any and all design/color choices, but I will listen to my wife's suggestions.....Yeah, you do have to look down to glance at these, but all you really need is a quick glance....I try to look down at stop lights/signs only.

Here's a different angle that shows how the panel fits in with the rest of the "décor"
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And just for fun....

Rod
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
aerosurfer wrote:

Hey, is that one of those ASPX wide band meters?, do you like it?, how does it behave?, was the wire long enough?

I saw that being discussed in another thread, mine is an Innovate LC-2. didnt need a long cord as the brain box for the thing is located in my fridge cabinet. It came with a 6 foot cord which was plenty for my needs.

I have been very happy with it! originally thought about renting the portable one, but decided to buy instead. initially used the tailpipe clamp and had it mounted in in the engine bay on the left wheel well. Once I decided to mount it in a proper bung where the EGR attachment would go on the muffler I was able to relocate it out of the engine bay. All wiring is routed through the drain hole in the spare tire well and along the wall into the fridge cabinet. My only hack was having to enlarge the hole in the spare tire well a few MMs so the thicker O2 cable, specifically the connector could pass through, but found a snug fitting gasket to fit the new size. All othe wiring is as out of sight and unobtrusive as I could make it (personal pet peeve). I'll make a retro build thread next week when I'm home in the daytime if anyone wants to see the wiring, components and routing. Instructions were basic, but pretty clear. Setup was a breeze once I figured it all out. And I can still connect a computer to data log if I wanted to.

Well worth the money, under $200 when I did it, even with the tailpipe clamp I no longer need.

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
...........I'll make a retro build thread next week when I'm home in the daytime if anyone wants to see the wiring, components and routing............

Hell yeah!, please do!
The last thing I need is one more gauge to watch, but with the price of gas now I wouldn't mind doing some fine tuning and driving style adjustments to squeeze the most out of every gallon.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:

What size is that tach? 3 1/8 or 3 3/8?
2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4
Past:
01 Honda Insight, 06 Beetle TDI, 77 Toyota, 96 Geo Metro, 06 Tacoma, 13 Jetta Wagon, 05 Jetta, 96 Corrado VR6
Other ICE Machinery: Alco 251F 16v & 8v
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
All VDO cockpit series. Actually you can buy an adapter ring and mount the tach from the back so it looks correct. You can also buy a tach (not VDO) that looks original and matches your speedo. I have one in my current bus.

http://www.justkampers.com/tachometer-type-2-bay-window-1967-1971.html

And this is what inspired it:

Here is my first phase of retro-fitting supplementary gauges:

I hope soon to fabricate a replacement main instrument binnacle and matching supplementary binnacle (to replace the sheet-aluminium on above), which collectively will accommodate a 100 mm VW Type 1 Beetle speedometer (integral fuel gauge & seven warning lights), eleven 52 mm VDO Cockpit supplementary gauges and two 60 mm Lucas 8-segment warning-light clusters.

A few days ago, I acquired an NOS VDO Cockpit -50~0~50A ammeter, dating from October 1979, in original packaging, for £8·99 on E-bay. I intend to convert it from an internal-shunt ammeter into a remote-shunt ammeter, which is MUCH more appropriate to a rear-engine vehicle.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

Home made but based on PLX devices AFR system.
Can slide it out and plug it in in engine bay for tuning up.
Choose 2 from:
AFR , RPM, CHT, MAP, battery voltage 1 and 2, oil pressure. More to come.
Since I took the picture I have tidied it up a bit

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

I love that you have MAP. Why did you include that?
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:

What is the purpose of the switch with the water tap (aka faucet in USA parlance) emblem!?!

aeromech wrote:

These guys have good prices on gauges

https://www.egauges.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=21001

As you mentioned earlier, e-gauges appear to be quite a good source of VDO Cockpit International and other styles of gauges. They are also a source of overheat switches, including some for monitoring cylinder-head temperatures.

http://www.egauges.com/Temperature-Senders-s/23114.htm

http://www.egauges.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=23115

http://www.egauges.com/250F-120C-Max-Temp-M10-x-1-5-Temp-Switch-s/23315.htm

232-001 Temperature Switch: 194F (90C) - M10 - M4 Stud - Sale Price: $36.99

http://www.egauges.com/356-482F-180-250C-Max-Temp-M10x1-5-Temp-Switch-s/35432.htm

http://www.egauges.com/232-002-M10-430F-220C-w-338F-170C-S-P-p/232-002.htm

232-002 Temperature Switch: 338F (170C) - M10 - M4 Stud - Sale Price: $36.57

http://www.egauges.com/232-006-M10-400F-200C-w-300F-150C-S-P-p/232-006.htm

232-006 Temperature Switch: 302F (150C) - M10 - M4 Stud - Sale Price: $40.00

http://www.egauges.com/232-020-M10x1-5-482F-250C-w-383F-195C-S-P-p/232-020.htm

232-020 Temperature Switch: 383F (195C) - M10 - M4 Stud - Sale Price: $33.35

I am still contemplating where on the VW 1800 Type 4 style engine cylinder heads, I could reasonably fit some of these or similar long-reach overheat switches, without compromising the cylinder-heads’ strength and/or crack resistance.

The other question I have yet to resolve, is what make-point temperature would be most appropriate, given that there will variation in temperature at different locations on the cylinder head and a temperature gradient through the cylinder head, between the inside of the combustion chamber and the external air-cooled surfaces.

Looking in my 1992 VDO Automotive & Industrial Products Catalogue, I found the following description and details of three overheat switches with M4 electrical-terminal studs, listed under “Switches for Monitoring Cylinder Head Temperatures”:

« Designed especially for the monitoring of cylinder head temperatures on air-cooled engines. In conjunction with a signalling device it operates an optical or acoustical signal whenever a preset temperature is exceeded. Operating voltage 6~24 Volts. Contact rating: 3 watts non-inductive. Contacts close as temperature rises. Electrical connection: screw terminal M4. »

Part No. | Make-Point Temperature | Mounting & Terminal Threads | Nov. 1992 List Price

232.011.005.014 | 120 ± 5 ºC | M10 x 1•5 mm & M4 | £21•06

232.011.005.017 | 150 ± 5 ºC | M10 x 1•5 mm & M4 | £24•89

232.011.005.004 | 170 ± 5 ºC | M10 x 1•5 mm & M4 | £24•89

They appear to be of virtually identical appearance to those featured on the e-gauges website. There are two other switches listed, with 96 ± 3 ºC & 105 ± 10 ºC make-point temperatures, but supposedly with 1/8” x 27 NPTF mounting threads, which seems to me to be an incredibly small thread size; 1/8 inch being approximately equal to 3•2 mm.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
A few days ago, I acquired an NOS VDO Cockpit -50~0~50A ammeter, dating from October 1979, in original packaging, for £8·99 on E-bay. I intend to convert it from an internal-shunt ammeter into a remote-shunt ammeter, which is MUCH more appropriate to a rear-engine vehicle.

If one has an internal-shunt ammeter, then one needs to have “a big cable feed”. Most automotive accessory ammeters are of this type, but they are not ideally suited to rear-engined vehicles.

Remote-shunt ammeters are ideally suited to rear-engined vehicles, but they are also equally suitable for any vehicle, irrespective of the locations of the ammeter, generator and battery.

If one is fortunate enough to have a remote-shunt ammeter or has been able to convert one’s internal-shunt ammeter into a remote-shunt ammeter, whose shunt-resistor is no longer mounted inside the casing of the ammeter, but instead, is external to the gauge housing and mounted remotely (can be a considerable distance away from the ammeter and dashboard), such as inside the engine compartment, between the generator and the battery, then one only needs two very thin cable feeds from the remotely-mounted, external shunt-resistor in the engine compartment, to the ammeter on the dashboard.

The only disadvantage of remote-shunt ammeters, is that they typically cost much more than internal-shunt ammeters; possibly because they are manufactured in smaller quantities and a separate housing is required for the shunt-resistor, which requires a minimum of two, but preferably four, screw-terminal connections! There are two connections for the thick cable carrying the vehicle’s main supply current and two connections for the thin cable carrying minimal current (less than 0•1A) for the ammeter’s moving-coil galvanometer.

Both voltmeters and ammeters are a combination of a moving-coil galvanometer, which requires only a tiny voltage (mV – millivolts) and current (mA – milliamps) to fully deflect the needle, together with a supplementary resistor.

To create a voltmeter, which can measure volts or kilovolts, etc, one needs to connect a high resistance (called a voltage multiplier | very much higher than the resistance of the galvanometer) in series with the galvanometer, which may be either internal or external to the galvanometer casing. The galvanometer’s scale is calibrated according to what one has adapted it to measure.

To create an ammeter, which can measure amps or kiloamps, etc, one needs to connect a low resistance (called a current shunt | very much lower than the resistance of the galvanometer) in parallel with the galvanometer, which may be either internal or external to the galvanometer casing.

In essence, the galvanometer which takes only a tiny current, is connected in parallel to the shunt-resistor, using only thin-gauge wires. It is the small potential difference across the shunt-resistor, through which a large current is flowing, which causes a small current to flow through the wire coil of the galvanometer, creating a magnetic field to deflect the galvanometer’s pointer.

Nigel A. Skeet

jamtonio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

Lots of cool ideas running around out there. I kept mine simple and I am please with the results. I went with a set of 3 made by ISP West.

"The more walking-around money I have, the less I walk around."
-Iggy Pop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blackpony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

Has anyone installed the Smiths Original Style Tachometer?

https://www.mecatechnic.com/en-GB/tachometer-vw-bu...NS-COM.htm

SMITHS tachometer in the original style 68 ->73 with central silver-plated band, graduated up to 6000rpm. Ideal for equipping your Combi Bay with a tachometer matching the original speedometer. Works on 12-Volt electrical circuit. Comes with all you need to fit it in the dashboard. Superior quality, manufactured in England.

For VW Combi Bay Window T2
Years: 08/1967 ->07/1979

Happy New Year White Bay Bus
VW Logo Blackpony
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

why not use the ceiling too? Lots of room up there... Laughing

Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

Blackpony wrote:
Has anyone installed the Smiths Original Style Tachometer?

61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

I decided to mount my extra gauges in a pod on top of the dash. Great visibility and no cutting or drilling the dash. I fed the wires individually through the existing speaker holes on the top of the dash and the pod is held in place by velcro backed with sticky tape. The tach is in the usual place. I also cut out a custom dash cover out of automotive carpet that I purchased from my FLAPS.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

that looks nice. Minimal damage too.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

I just run a volt gauge currently. The red button is wired to the aux battery system with a diode to prevent feedback to the main side of the system, if the button is pressed with the key on.

This allows me to monitor the voltage while the bus is running and driving. And also to monitor the aux battery while in "camp mode" using only one gauge for both systems.
folks55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

jamtonio wrote:
I hope this isn't a repeat topic. I am considering installing this NOS MotoMeter tachometer I picked up. I was thinking above the speaker holes on my dash since I don't have a speaker and no plans on putting one there and I wouldn't have to do any unnecessary modifications. I am curious to see how other people have done simar gauge mounting for tachs, oil pressure/temp, engine temp gauges etc...
Any info one might have about the MotoMeter tach I have would be appreciated as well.
Thanks for your thoughts. Please post photos!

Here's mine

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
Here is my first phase of retro-fitting supplementary gauges:

I hope soon to fabricate a replacement main instrument binnacle and matching supplementary binnacle (to replace the sheet-aluminium on above), which collectively will accommodate a 100 mm VW Type 1 Beetle speedometer (integral fuel gauge & seven warning lights), eleven 52 mm VDO Cockpit supplementary gauges and two 60 mm Lucas 8-segment warning-light clusters.

In addition to the NOS - new-old-stock VDO Cockpit -50~0~50 A ammeter (in original VDO packaging | VDO part No. 190.004.039.002 | dated October 1979), I have also since acquired via German E-bay for about £5 plus postage, an unused VDO Cockpit -30~0~30 A ammeter (nominally NOS with no packaging | VDO part No. 190.004.039.001 | dated May 1988).

Given that the 1973 VW Type 2 battery, is unlikely to be charged or discharged (excluding engine starting) at currents of more than 30 A, I shall probably instead convert the VDO Cockpit -30~0~30 A ammeter to being of a remote-shunt type.

Another VDO instrument I eagerly await which I have just acquired, is a NOS - new-old-stock 52 mm diameter, alternator-sensed VDO Cockpit 0~6000 rpm tachometer (in original VDO packaging | VDO part No. 333.230.105.003 | said to be circa 1980s | listed in my November 1992 VDO catalogue), which better matches the style of my existing, as yet unused, NOS - new-old-stock 52 mm diameter, alternator-sensed VDO Cockpit "Night Design" 0~6000 rpm tachometer (VDO part No. ***.230.146.001 | dated October 1983), which will become surplus to requirements.

52 mm VDO Cockpit alternator-sensed 0~6000 rpm engine-tachometer

52 mm VDO Cockpit 'Night Design' alternator-sensed 0~6000 rpm engine-tachometer

Until recently, mine was the only VDO Cockpit [b]'Night Design' instrument I have come across, but I have since discovered a few more on E-bay.

52 mm VDO Cockpit "Night Design" 7000 rpm engine-tachometer

VDO Cockpit "Night Design" 50~150 degC oil-temperature gauge

VDO Cockpit "Night Design" 40~120 degC water-temperature gauge

VDO Cockpit "Night Design" -30~0~30 A ammeter

VDO Cockpit "Night Design" -25~0~40 degC ambient-air temp gauge

Nigel A. Skeet

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
Another VDO instrument I eagerly await which I have just acquired, is a NOS - new-old-stock 52 mm diameter, alternator-sensed VDO Cockpit 0~6000 rpm tachometer (in original VDO packaging | VDO part No. 333.230.105.003 | said to be circa 1980s | listed in my November 1992 VDO catalogue), which better matches the style of my existing, as yet unused, NOS - new-old-stock 52 mm diameter, alternator-sensed VDO Cockpit "Night Design" 0~6000 rpm tachometer (VDO part No. ***.230.146.001 | dated October 1983), which will become surplus to requirements.

52 mm VDO Cockpit alternator-sensed 0~6000 rpm engine-tachometer

The three 52 mm VDO Cockpit, 0~6000 rpm alternator-sensing tachometers (VDO part No. 333/230/105/003 | two dated October 1986 and one dated February 1987) arrived safely in the mail on Monday, 4th June 2018.

Job-lot of three 52 mm VDO Cockpit, 0~6000 rpm alternator-sensing tachometers

First Marked: 230/105/3 | 12V | 993 1660 Hz | massefrei | 10.86 | justierbar | NO2 10.86

Second Marked: 230/105/3 | 12V | 993 1660 Hz | massefrei | 10.86 | justierbar | NO2 10.86

Third Marked: 333/230/105/3 | 12V/993 1660 Hz | 2.87 | justierbar | masseFrei | NO2 2.87

This type of tachometer is listed in my 1992 VDO Automotive & Industrial Products Catalogue (Autocat 925); for which the recommended retail price was £67•90 according to the November 1992 price list.

According to my British, 1992 VDO Automotive & Industrial Products Catalogue (Autocat 925), there also exists a similar 52 mm VDO Cockpit, 0~7000 rpm tachometer (VDO part No. 333.230.105.002) for 4-cylinder petrol engines; designed for connection to Terminal-1 of the ignition coil. The recommended retail price was £56•89 according to the November 1992 price list.

Nigel A. Skeet

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometers and other auxillary gauges. Reply with quote

ah, that's where the coffee goes.

and what is this?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: