Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trail Riding Manx/Off Road Abilities
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TahoeManxter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Trail Riding Manx/Off Road Abilities Reply with quote

Hello guys and gals. I'm a long time reader of TheSamba.com but this is my first post. I have a question about the Manx and or clones. I have been interested in purchasing a buggy for many years but wanted to ask the group as to the off road abilities of one. I live here in Northern Nevada and would like a buggy for riding around in the mountains and trail riding on tight rocky dirt roads. I also will be using the buggy for a fun around town car and summer cruiser. My question is this; how do your buggy's preform on narrow, steep, rocky dirt roads? I'm not looking for ATV or Quad type capabilities, but will they be able to climb steep hunting roads? Do deep ruts pose much of a problem compared to a Jeep. Can it compare at all to a UTV or Side-by-side? Do they have power to go up steep hills at slower speeds? Thank you all so much for the answers. I appreciate and value the expertise here.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Trail Riding Manx/Off Road Abilities Reply with quote

Probable perform as well as any stock Jeep... Only issue may be ground clearance.... While I like my buggies lowered you may want to have yours raised...

If mine was sitting at "stock VW height" I would have no qualms taking it on basically logging roads and trails suitable for a 4 wheeler (not necessary 4 wheel drive)...

I have street buggy, but also have jeep cause I'm on west side of Sierras love the back country... I know the country, I know buggies capabilities...

GO for it...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Trail Riding Manx/Off Road Abilities Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It can be done. Mine is a swingaxle which limits rear suspension travel and it goes anywhere. Get a later CV axle transaxle and you can really jack it up.

Slower is better for climbing crappy roads. So gearing and tire selection are critical. Spend some time in the offroad forum doing a search on those topics.

I have the lowest gearing R&P and low gears overall in my beetle transaxle to achieve low speeds with tall tires. Many go with a bus transaxle which already has low final drive and gears.

I'd advise seeing if you can find a buggy with a bus transaxle and start there. Good luck!
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Trail Riding Manx/Off Road Abilities Reply with quote

I have had my manx clone for about 15 years, and it has seen quite a few trails. It rides softer than most jeeps, and if you arent trying to go rock crawling, it will go were a jeep can go. It will also perform better on the sand, and are so maneuverable that many times you can squeeze thru obstacles, or go around them
Having said the above, you should be aware that buggies depend on engine rpms to get up hills, and I have found myself feathering and slipping the clutch constantly when going up a steep, rocky, bumpy hill. I recently installed a 5 rib trans in my buggy, and its now more suitable for the above. The advice about gearing is right on.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Trail Riding Manx/Off Road Abilities Reply with quote

Watch this video of the 1966 Georgetown Rubicon Jeep run and you'll see how well swingaxle buggies with 36 and 40hp engines did against Jeeps then. Just have Jeeps have improved buggies have too with high clearance and longer travel and better suspensions, tougher components and more powerful/reliable engines and brakes. However the short wheelbase buggies are still about the same size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrQpohzdxc4

If you want to see the rock negotiating capability of some buggies now

https://www.facebook.com/tracy.ring.50/videos/t.100002152320496/660006617407016/?type=2&theater
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Trail Riding Manx/Off Road Abilities Reply with quote

A stock 1600 with a stock swing-axle will take you over many rough roads. This setup has been very good for me. Not a lot of HP but good torque for crawling up a rocky road.

With good tires and a skidplate you can have tons of fun and you will be very surprised where these buggies will go.

My friend prefers an IRS bus transaxle. You can get more height with them.
There is a limit to climbing steep hills and you will figure it out after having to back down a few.

1500 single port with IRS

1600 dual port with swing-axle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Trail Riding Manx/Off Road Abilities Reply with quote

Wow, great footage of Bruce and Old Red and other buggies!

BL3Manx wrote:
Watch this video of the 1966 Georgetown Rubicon Jeep run and you'll see how well swingaxle buggies with 36 and 40hp engines did against Jeeps then. Just have Jeeps have improved buggies have too with high clearance and longer travel and better suspensions, tougher components and more powerful/reliable engines and brakes. However the short wheelbase buggies are still about the same size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrQpohzdxc4

If you want to see the rock negotiating capability of some buggies now

https://www.facebook.com/tracy.ring.50/videos/t.100002152320496/660006617407016/?type=2&theater

TahoeManxter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Trail Riding Manx/Off Road Abilities Reply with quote

Thank you all so much for the replies. Everyone echoed what I was hoping to hear and you all have lit a spark in my sole where I must get a buggy sooner rather than later. One more quick question? How well do they flat tow? Does axle type make a big difference in that regard? Pardon my ignorance. I'm humbled by the collective knowledge of this site.
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Trail Riding Manx/Off Road Abilities Reply with quote

I have towed our buggies for a couple thousand miles, total, over the years. My swing axle buggies tow like they are not there.

They follow very well but you can't back them up. Have to plan where you park so you can pull in and drive out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doubravsky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Trail Riding Manx/Off Road Abilities Reply with quote

+1 - super easy to tow. Tow bar costs $75 - and if you do get stuck (like I did with RV and had to turn around) - you can just disconnect in like 3 minutes, back up, turn around and reconnect.

I've towed behind my 4 cylinder subaru forester with no problem.
woodoctr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Trail Riding Manx/Off Road Abilities Reply with quote

Almost any VW based fiberglass car flat tows like there is almost nothing behind you. I've got a kit car set up with a collapsible tow bar which is great. Take my vehicle to where I'm going and ten minutes later my wife and I can split up with no trailer to deal with. I was towing at between 75 to 78 most of the time and still got 25 mpg. with my v6 Hyundai Santa Fe. Just remember, backing up is not a good thing.... just disconnect it as said, piece of cake.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Trail Riding Manx/Off Road Abilities Reply with quote

No problems towing. If it drives straight it will tow fine.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Trail Riding Manx/Off Road Abilities Reply with quote

As others said, no problem. Just make sure if you have a locking steering wheel, that its not locked, make sure parking brake off, and make sure its in neutral. If I stop somewhere, I always check the above in case some joker decides to play a trick. I also have set up the tow bar with safety chains (they dont usually come with them), I think some states require them.
My buggy started as a swing axle, and now its IRS. They both work great, in case you are wondering.
Bob Elgin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Trail Riding Manx/Off Road Abilities Reply with quote

We make a lot of trips to Colorado, San Juan Mountains. My yellow spatz is 2010 cc stroker with a bus trans axle my buddies is a manx stock 1641 with bus trans axle hers some a video on my youtube page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyoIIioOh6Y&t=77s
My Build http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5987690#5987690
My Youtube page
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqd2r1Af7uZgqlnxAtMap4A
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Trail Riding Manx/Off Road Abilities Reply with quote

I tow mine on short trips behind my Vanagon.

One bit of general towing advice... If your tow rig is ever out of your sight on a trip, say at a gas station when you use the head, check to make sure some evil jackass hasn't put your buggy in gear or monkeyed with the towbar. Think of it as a safety check. There are unfortunately people out there who think such things are funny.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Trail Riding Manx/Off Road Abilities Reply with quote

To flat tow a buggy its critical that it has fairly light and neutral steering which will follow the tow vehicle and self center after making a turn.

Lots of folks put wide tires on the front of a buggy, mostly for looks. Wide tires increase steering effort and can cause problems with flat towing. Besides having the right width tires, you should also run caster shims under the lower torsion tube, which improves stability and self centering. Alignment, king pin/ball joint condition and steering gear box condition should all be good
Bob Elgin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Trail Riding Manx/Off Road Abilities Reply with quote

I prefer the big tire up front, drives easier for me. And i like the looks better. I have the normal p235r15s, I have in the past towed my buggy from Texas to Colorado in the past, made sure nothing was anywhere near the steering wheel. Oh yah we also bungied the steering wheel works pretty good .
My Build http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5987690#5987690
My Youtube page
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqd2r1Af7uZgqlnxAtMap4A
TahoeManxter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Trail Riding Manx/Off Road Abilities Reply with quote

Excellent info guys. I really do appreciate the replies. Everything that has been said makes me excited and ready to go get my buggy. Now to find the right one... Really what I am looking to do is have a hunting/fishing/camping setup. I currently have an f-350 diesel truck with an overhead camper. I want to be able to flat tow a buggy wherever I go and have that as my off road rig when I get to my destination without having to take the overhead camper off my truck. I am currently looking at a buggy with a 2.2L Subaru engine bolted to a VW bus transaxle. The problem is the buggy slips out of reverse and is also misfiring on a cylinder. The price is only $2,000; does that sound like too much trouble for what it is worth? Apparently it has been sitting for quite a while.
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Trail Riding Manx/Off Road Abilities Reply with quote

Most buggies that have been sitting are projects. You must decide how much of a project you want.

When reverse pops out, the trans most often needs to be rebuilt. The Subaru motor might be more engine than you need. 1600 VW motors are cheap to maintain and are easy on the trans. $2000 seems like a lot for this one.
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Trail Riding Manx/Off Road Abilities Reply with quote

I see this in Phoenix. Seems like a good way to go. You buy the motor and trans and off you go. lots of buggies in the $6000 to $8000 price range for sale.

This would get you on the road cheaper than that.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/6042644652.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: