Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi D series carburetors
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi D series carburetors Reply with quote

Do you have to call? Somehow unable to find anything but the kit on their site.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi D series carburetors Reply with quote

I was there just yesterday picking up my case and some new goddies.. the phone number isn't on the web site to order stuff, but just google Carcraft for the number. That's what I did. They answered right away. They are kinda busy and won't shoot the shit with you, but so far I'm pretty happy with the speed of their work. They had the new EMPI D carbs on the counter so I could play with them Laughing
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi D series carburetors Reply with quote

I emailed Ron and he replied that yes he had them and call to order.

I am really interested to see if the 6 port 36s are better and if the jet doctors cause lower MPG over stock.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Empi D series carburetors Reply with quote

Emeraldlion wrote:
Does anyone know if you can buy just the carbs alone? I he manifolds linkage and filters from cb.

https://www.appletreeauto.com/40mm-d-series-carb-for-dual-setup/
Cheaper than eBay! Direct ship from EMPI.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Empi D series carburetors Reply with quote

Wow. I would have expected carbs alone to be cheaper than the kit. Carcraft sale price is looking pretty good
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi D series carburetors Reply with quote

Emeraldlion wrote:
Wow. I would have expected carbs alone to be cheaper than the kit. Carcraft sale price is looking pretty good

Here's another vendor with a good sale price also. Smile

https://www.appletreeauto.com/dual-36mm-d-series-carb-kit-deluxe-kit/

https://www.appletreeauto.com/dual-40mm-d-series-carb-kit-deluxe-kit/

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Empi D series carburetors Reply with quote

Empi has posted their most recent 2018 catalog online, and you can get a little more info on the carbs starting on page 82.

http://vwcatalog.empius.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Empi D series carburetors Reply with quote

Why is the Empi D series carbs cost more, than the Empi Hpmx series? Confused

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi D series carburetors Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:

They are just going off the market prices. Used DRLAs in good condition are pulling $600 so they figure "new and improved" should be a little more.

I guess if they dont sell that many they will go down in price, if people are paying the inflated price it will stay or go up. Give it some time and the chinese will offer a clone of a clone for $100 too.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi D series carburetors Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:

They are just going off the market prices. Used DRLAs in good condition are pulling $600 so they figure "new and improved" should be a little more.

I guess if they dont sell that many they will go down in price, if people are paying the inflated price it will stay or go up. Give it some time and the chinese will offer a clone of a clone for $100 too.

Ok, I didn't know Empi was going by the used DRLA's used price range. From the info in the 2018 Empi catalog, sounds like the Empi D series carbs, are better than the Hpmx series. One thing I know so far, is that the Empi D series 36mm kit, fits on engines with the stock oem fan shrouds.

02/76 Beetle sedan
luis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi D series carburetors Reply with quote

Was wondering if anyone has an update on these Empi D series carbs? I have a 1776 with a Engle 110. Considering them but not sure if I should get 36’s or 40’s
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi D series carburetors Reply with quote

Any idea why they wouldn’t fit under the deck lid of a type 3? They use the same linkage and stuff as an IDF...
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi D series carburetors Reply with quote

ekacpuc wrote:
Any idea why they wouldn’t fit under the deck lid of a type 3? They use the same linkage and stuff as an IDF...

It appears that the linkage pokes up too high
luis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Empi D series carburetors Reply with quote

luis wrote:
Was wondering if anyone has an update on these Empi D series carbs? I have a 1776 with a Engle 110. Considering them but not sure if I should get 36’s or 40’s

I ended up getting the 40s. They arrive tomorrow. Was wondering if it matters to port and polish the manifolds. If so, how smooth, because my heads are ported and polishing? Once I get it running I will give an update
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Empi D series carburetors Reply with quote

Looks like the single carb manifold is properly designed. It would be cool to see different tube diameter versions explicitly categorized for smaller and larger displacement applications.

-Frank
luis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi D series carburetors Reply with quote

luis wrote:
luis wrote:

I ended up getting the 40s. They arrive tomorrow. Was wondering if it matters to port and polish the manifolds. If so, how smooth, because my heads are ported and polishing? Once I get it running I will give an update

Reviving this thread. I had to return my first order as I was sent HPMX carbs instead of the D series. I now have the D series from car craft. Received them today as I waited a bit to re order. The first supplier I will not name. I will update in a few days as I am in no hurry to install.

This is not a daily driver. I only drive the bug once or twice a month. I only drive the car in town no more than 10 miles from home. I will never race the car. I have an electric fuel pump set at less than 3 psi. Despite all the negative comments I have read I think I will be ok.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi D series carburetors Reply with quote

After having delt with these carbs on my dyno and such(the original posters carbs) I would stay far away from them, they are total piles with no support at all. The poster is an Army person that I really tried to help, he sent me the carbs with a 100$pre-paid card. I spent a hundred and fourty bucks on parts, probably 10-15 hours on them, After running them on my dyno on a mule engine I sent them back with the pre-paid card, I cant charge someone if I can't make it better. Please, stay far away from these carbs, they are total garbage.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Empi D series carburetors Reply with quote

Thank you for giving us your dealings and take on them! I was on the verge and decided to get og dells and shell money for quality rebuild and setup. This is unfortunate to hear, as it would be nice to infuse fresh carbs and parts if they can get the function/quality right.
luis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Empi D series carburetors Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
After having delt with these carbs on my dyno and such(the original posters carbs) I would stay far away from them, they are total piles with no support at all. The poster is an Army person that I really tried to help, he sent me the carbs with a 100$pre-paid card. I spent a hundred and fourty bucks on parts, probably 10-15 hours on them, After running them on my dyno on a mule engine I sent them back with the pre-paid card, I cant charge someone if I can't make it better. Please, stay far away from these carbs, they are total garbage.

I believe your experience was with 36 mm. I have the 40 mm ones. I always seem to find a way to make things work. I have a love hate thing for the globe logo. Not sure I will return them just yet. Here is how they were packaged.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

greenhornet-1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi D series carburetors Reply with quote

Got mine about a month ago. 40's also. I have to say i'm a little discouraged after reading the post above. I have to try and make them work also...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 17

Jump to: