Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 Superbeetle rim conversion.
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Postino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: 71 Superbeetle rim conversion. Reply with quote

I need some advice on my 71 SB. It has the shimmy. I put new cheap tires on a few years back and had them "balanced ". The tech said one of the rims was bent. I also know one of the rims has a different offset as it rubbed on the strut when I swapped wheels around. It still has the shimmy but I can't rule out the wheels. Knowing that it's important to have a solid balanced set of wheels to start with, I'm considering doing a Chevy swap out as the are more available and cheaper. Can anyone give me a link to information on this topic that includes rim offsets . Would appreciate any help / information. Thanks.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Superbeetle rim conversion. Reply with quote

The wheels alone do not cause the shimmy, the wear items in the front end do, all the bushings must be in proper working order or you will have the shimmy and shakes.

But, to answer the question, running wheel adapters will push the wheels out further, and on the front this is a real problem without going to wheels that have a heavy offset to push most of the wheel under the fender... Better idea is to get new drums and/or rotors drilled for the correct bolt pattern. Most disc brake kits list this as an option at time of purchase.

I can almost guarantee you that a set of bushings and maybe even tie rod ends/balljoints are the true cause of your problem though.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: