Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pertronix/Compufire/Tach
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Pertronix/Compufire/Tach Reply with quote

I've run both the Pertronix and the Compufire and found no real noticeable difference between them. (Didn't have a tachometer back then!) After frying both of them - Embarassed - eventually I got another Pertronix. Now, I have been running points on the Bug's engine and there has always been a slight "miss" going on that bounces the tach needle just a bit. Recently I scored me a distributor that has a Compufire in it so I threw it in the Bug's engine and when I fired it up the tach's needle was bouncing hysterically all over the place!!! Barely steady at all at idle and just plain going crazy upon acceleration! Shocked

At first I thought maybe I screwed up the tach or it just lost it but before swapping it, I went back with the points distributor and the wildness stopped!?! Anyone here ever had this situation happening before??? Confused
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix/Compufire/Tach Reply with quote

Yeah ... Electronic module had poor ground where mounded to dist points plate... Cleaned area where module mounted and checked ground at dist body and made sure mount screw was tight... No problems after that... But that may not be you problem...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix/Compufire/Tach Reply with quote

I have them cheap Sunpro tachs from FLAPS in the Dormy and the Bug and both behaved the same way with the Compufire. I will try it in the Plump Truck which has a VDO tach. If it does the same thing then something is amiss with this Compufire when used with a tach, though it works fine as far as running the engine is concerned. Confused
larryducas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix/Compufire/Tach Reply with quote

Put a diode in series with the tach input. This fixed mine. 1n4003 from radio shack is fine. Almost anything works
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix/Compufire/Tach Reply with quote

I had to put one in for the VDO when I got it since it was not only erratic but way off too! I did take the diode from it and tried it with the Sunpro, it didn't make a difference. Neutral
tkelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix/Compufire/Tach Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my compufire and
the needle bouncing with the engine running. I tried
using inline diodes, checked and cleaned grounds,
all sorts of things...I ended up changing out the coil
and all the problems went away.

Tom
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix/Compufire/Tach Reply with quote

tkelley wrote:
...I ended up changing out the coil
and all the problems went away.

Tom

Think

I have a bucket full of'ems! Will try that next, thanks! Cool
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix/Compufire/Tach Reply with quote

I did replace the coil and though it helped, decided to go with points instead of the Compu-Fire diz. Ran bitchen....

Until this happened! Rolling Eyes

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So I bought a fresh Pertronix, just installed it and it fired right up! Sweet! Very Happy

However, I didn't get to actually drive it until this morning going to work. Though it starts right up, idles fine and runs good, the tach now reads WAY high! Normally at 70 to 75 it read around 3500 rpm and felt like it too. Now with only the Pertronix being different, it reads 5000 rpm! WTF?!?!?!? Confused

Though the difference between the points and the Pertronix might have advanced the timing some, I can't see why that would make the tach reading high!?!? Eh?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix/Compufire/Tach Reply with quote

Is tach set for 4 cylinder?...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix/Compufire/Tach Reply with quote

But of course! Everything is as it was and worked fine before this swap. Again, I do suspect the timing needs to be reset now but I just found this out and I'm at work. I will retard it some but can't really check it until I get home and put the light to it. Sad

FWIW, I have the same tach on the Dormy and have ran Pertronix and points without any difference in readings. Confused
larryducas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix/Compufire/Tach Reply with quote

put a diode in the tach sending line, worked for me
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix/Compufire/Tach Reply with quote

What you are trying to do with a diode is to kill off "ringing" which is a part of the way the coil works when it fires. The tacho counts 2 pulses instead of one sometimes. When I built my own rev counter the first version claimed that idle was 60K RPM because of the ringing.

Changing coils or condensers will change the ringing .

Another route is to filter with e.g. a 1000 ohm resistor from the coil -ve to tacho input terminal and then a 0.1 microfarad capacitor to ground across the tacho input (e.g. a condensor).

Tacho--------- 1k resistor ----------- coil -ve ----> contact breaker or module
|
Capacitor (condenser)
|
Chassis

In rhe end I built this circuit into my tacho sender computer.
This filters out the ringing.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix/Compufire/Tach Reply with quote

Well, how 'bout them apples?!? Confused

I think I did mentioned that once at work I did retard the timing a bit. Doubt that really "fixed" the problem but apparently the thing just calibrated itself! Shocked

On my way home from work it went back to normal! Idled fine and readings at speed were correct. Still wondering why this happened?!? Unlike the "jumpy" issue I had before with the Compu-Fire, the way high readings yesterday were steady as could be. Eh?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: