Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Staggered 17" rims
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Staggered 17" rims Reply with quote

Hi all
I am putting staggered boxster wheels on my lowered 87 Vanagon nonWesty type. It was recommended to me to run 215/50/17 on the front and 245/45/17 on the rear. Presently am looking for tires and would like some recommendations on the perfect tire? Also anyone that has photos of that configuration would really be helpful. that would allow me to see what they would look like. My imagination is very limited in that area. Thanks in advance.
nikko
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Staggered 17" rims Reply with quote

These are 225 not 215...but gives you an idea

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4584460#4584460

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Staggered 17" rims Reply with quote

I am running Yokohama YK740 GTX, front is 225x50R17, back is 225x55R17. I discovered there is no modern tire size that hits 805 rev per mile like the Vanagon wanta, so the smaller fronts were a compromise. There is still a slight discrepancy, speedometer shows 70, GPS shows 73.3. I think as the tread wears down the speedo will get more accurate. Not sure how much though.
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Staggered 17" rims Reply with quote

Porsche cup 2 wheels, 17x7.5 front, 17 x 9 rear.

235-50-17 front 265-50-17 rear

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Staggered 17" rims Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the info and pics. Did any of you have any problems with the sliding door? Spare Tires?
Gnariodious - How do u like the Yokohamas?
Rorygirl - What type tires are u running? brand?

Any comments on the Nokian ZLine tires
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Staggered 17" rims Reply with quote

Nikkoleto wrote:
Rorygirl - What type tires are u running? brand?

The pic is not my van...I do have the same wheels though, just haven`t bought my tires yet. Let me know what you get, lol!
wyldryce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Staggered 17" rims Reply with quote

Benz staggered wheels, wearing Kumo Solus TA 71s, 245/45/17 99W rear, 225/ 50/17, 98W front. They have been a fantastic tire so far… Quiet, handle rain well, and are appropriately loaded, especially for a lighter than camper van.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Staggered 17" rims Reply with quote

The 17 inch Yokohama car tires are definitely giving me a smoother ride, easier steering and better control than the old 14 inchers. I was advised that with a modern low profile tire the weight rating and other specs are irrelevant. But I have a lightweight tintop, a loaded Westy would be a different story.

New Beetle Heritage Wheels:

Kirsche Wasserboxer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Staggered 17" rims Reply with quote

I have the 17" Ronal wheels from Van Cafe on my Westy. It has these Nokian eNTYRE tires on it at the moment. https://www.amazon.com/Nokian-eNTYRE-All-Season-Radial-Tire/dp/B0100OG63A/ They are 225/50R17 both front and back.

[/img]
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Staggered 17" rims Reply with quote

Decisions decisions. I am kinda looking at Nokian Zline A/S Tires and Hankook Ventus S1 Noble Z any exp with those tires?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: