Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for information on dealer installed Golde sunroofs
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Looking for information on dealer installed Golde sunroofs Reply with quote

I am wondering if anyone out there knows anything about aftermarket/dealer installed GOLDE three fold sunroofs into split beetles. I know that Golde made sunroof kits for many different cars, that could be installed by a dealer or distributor. While VW was installing three fold sunroofs at the factory, there are also some split beetles that received sunroofs at a later date.

anyone familiar? or does anyone own a split beetle with an added three fold sunroof?

does anyone know the current owner of this rometsch four door?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for information on dealer installed Golde sunroofs Reply with quote

I know the owner. What exactly you want to know. Maybe I can ask. He does not come on samba. Car is stil in restauration but progress is made since those picts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for information on dealer installed Golde sunroofs Reply with quote

well, I am wondering all there is to know! I would like to see some detail shots of the the mechanism, as well as how the top structure is built. I have seen some with a sculpted wood frame that attaches under the roof skin and aluminum slider rails that attatch from above sandwiching the roof skin.

but more-over, I would like to know if anyone has any period/historical information as to how these conversions were offered, and where.
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for information on dealer installed Golde sunroofs Reply with quote

I will ask him. Not sure if I can get detail picts. I have never know that Golde made aftermarket kits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for information on dealer installed Golde sunroofs Reply with quote

Some of the earlier ragtop / sunroof conversions used wood. I had a 1956 Goliath Express bus made in Germany and they use a wooden header bar, and a wood frame around the inside of the sunroof opening in the metal roof to screw the sunroof rails to. I can't remember if this was a Golde roof or not?? I know Webesco used wood as well. Did I spell that right?

vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for information on dealer installed Golde sunroofs Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the 1948 split beetle that was on the Samba for sale that had the ragtop in the UK had wood around the ragtop??
Porsche904
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for information on dealer installed Golde sunroofs Reply with quote

vintage fiberglass wrote:
Some of the earlier ragtop / sunroof conversions used wood. I had a 1956 Goliath Express bus made in Germany and they use a wooden header bar, and a wood frame around the inside of the sunroof opening in the metal roof to screw the sunroof rails to. I can't remember if this was a Golde roof or not?? I know Webesco used wood as well. Did I spell that right?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1632207.jpg[/img]

it could easily be an early Webasto ragtop, they started their production in midt 30's making aftermarked ragtops - called the "Baier Ragtop"
many cars - at least european cars - got one of these ragtops instaled
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for information on dealer installed Golde sunroofs Reply with quote

I don't think these dealer installed ragtops were coded in anyway as well. I know they were not coded in Ghias. In split beetles they were (11G) and in buses they were by model I think. But if a dealer added one to a new beetle back in the 1940's or 1950's?? Unless you had documentation? anyone could have added it somewhere along the line. At least that is my take on it?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for information on dealer installed Golde sunroofs Reply with quote

Quote:
I know Webesco used wood as well. Did I spell that right?

Webasto. Stands for Wilhelm Baier, Stockdorf. The "We" in the company name is the German pronunciation for the initial "W" (sounds like "vay"). Company history here: https://www.webasto.com/us/about-webasto/corporate-information/history/

Golde installation: http://karmannghias.org/Golde1.htm
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for information on dealer installed Golde sunroofs Reply with quote

It is known that Hummer-Binder in New York was an authorized Golde installer that would put a sunroof in any vehicle which they could put one into. There had to be installers in europe as well.
I have seen a period film of a lowlight Ghia with a cloth sunroof, which could be a Golde. I have seen a very rusty '60 cloth sunroof Golde Ghia that sold on ebay in Germany about a decade ago. There was also a Ghia cloth sunroof clip That sold on Ebay in Germany around that time supposedly off of a '65. There is a '57 Ghia and a '61 Ghia with original Golde cloth sunroofs, both complete original cars in the USA. Does anyone now of any others?

Here is a picture of the wood inside a ghia sunroof header bow.

This Ghia sunroof was installed in Germany. It is the '61 mentioned above.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for information on dealer installed Golde sunroofs Reply with quote

My Lloyd has a wood framed Golde sunroof assembly also.
This is my spare assembly for reference, all my wood was rotted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for information on dealer installed Golde sunroofs Reply with quote

Think Webasto was a more common aftermarket supplier of sunroofs than Golde. They lost the competition to deliver to VW in 1950, but started to deliver for the aftermarket from then. A friend have a 54 oval, he know the Webasto was in the car in 57, when the car was in his family. I bought a new Webasto 3-fold some years ago. When Webasto in Germany stopped the production in the early 70', the English distributor bought all the parts and molds, and still deliver them.

http://www.tudorwebastosunroofs.com/

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: