Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Making good paint better
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Making good paint better Reply with quote

Hello Paint Experts!

Below is a picture of my new toy. You can see the reflection of a tree in the front trunk of this car. The paint is nicer than anything I've ever had. Yet despite that, when I get close to it, I see something in the paint that looks like orange peel. It's more like pebbles or raised dots. I can't help but think that this paint could be improved by color sanding, but I'm afraid I'll screw it up. It's single stage paint. Any advice on that?

Secondly, green wasn't my first choice in color, but it is a nice paint job and the car is otherwise solid. The color is growing on me quickly, mostly because it's essentially finished and one less thing to worry about. That being said, my kids and my wife hate the color. Really hate it.

So my second question is what do you think it would take to change the color (outside only) since the body is straight and the paint is already good. Just scuff it and paint it? Any idea what I'd have to pay for at least a comparable job? Note that my trunk area and door jams are already a shade lighter than the outside of my car, so I was thinking of re-doing them with automobile paint put into a aerosol cans. I figured that would be "good enough" for a trunk area. I guess I could completely change the color for the same level of effort, so my question is really oriented toward painting the outside of the car.

TIA,

Steve

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Making good paint better Reply with quote

be careful that the small bits in the paint you describe isnt microblistering. Thats moisture from the substrate coming through the topcoat and cannot be rectified without a bare metal strip and repaint
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Making good paint better Reply with quote

That's a scary thought. I think the car was painted at least 6 months ago, so hopefully the paint is stable. I'll try to take a close up picture of it, but I think it's just minor orange peel.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: