Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Doing a transmission swap. What should I do while in there?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkallo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Doing a transmission swap. What should I do while in there? Reply with quote

It's been awhile since I've done a transmission (like nearly 20 years awhile) so help me remember what all I ought to do while I have it out and what I ought to have on hand. I am trying to avoid realizing I need an X (be it tool or part) on the day of and setting the process back by a week.

My clutch slave is newer so I am going to leave it. Would you get a full clutch kit? Would you plan on removing and resurfacing the flywheel?

I disconnected the half shafts today and didn't have any trouble, but I will probably order a new set of bolts for that. Nice to have new hardware going in. I have the 6pt ones. Are the 12pt ones (with the proper tool) superior?

Last edited by jkallo on Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Doing a transmission swap. What should I do while in there? Reply with quote

New kit
Pilot bearing
Rear main seal
Oil slinger
Clutch arm and bearing kit
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Doing a transmission swap. What should I do while in there? Reply with quote

Front trans mount and ground strap.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Doing a transmission swap. What should I do while in there? Reply with quote

jkallo wrote:
...I will probably order a new set of bolts ... Are the 12pt ones ...superior?

Yes. Also best to replace the serrated (Schnoor) washers with new.
The washers are what actually keep the bolts in place... Rolling Eyes Cool

All of the above recommendations, plus:
- new FW O-ring
- new felt seal
- check/adjust endplay
- new tranny input shaft seal (you'll trash the old one when you check the oil slinger)
- clean/clear tranny vent
- Rockford CV boots

Check it: Boston Bob Flywheel Video

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Doing a transmission swap. What should I do while in there? Reply with quote

All the above advice is good with one exception. Don't adjust the end play if it is out spec. Worn engines don't like that! Rather, it into account and use that knowledge to make a decision about future engine repair/rebuild.

Hans
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Doing a transmission swap. What should I do while in there? Reply with quote

People here mean well but with your 82 diesel 1.6 engine van you will get better advice from the diesel van Yahoo group you are also on.

Mark

jkallo wrote:
It's been awhile since I've done a transmission (like nearly 20 years awhile) so help me remember what all I ought to do while I have it out and what I ought to have on hand. I am trying to avoid realizing I need an X (be it tool or part) on the day of and setting the process back by a week....
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Doing a transmission swap. What should I do while in there? Reply with quote

While you have free access clean the years of dirt off the bottom side.
Cover the rear axle shafts in the trailing arms so they don't get full of dirt sticking to the grease.
Check your fuel lines if you have not replaced the recently and check them even if you did! Maybe replace them with new.
Check the wiring harness for good condition.
Check your coolant and A/C hoses it you have A/C.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Doing a transmission swap. What should I do while in there? Reply with quote

If you still have the insulated blankets above the transmission, consider pulling it and remove it completely or at least remove and check for / repair any rust before it gets worse.
jkallo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Doing a transmission swap. What should I do while in there? Reply with quote

metropoj wrote:
If you still have the insulated blankets above the transmission, consider pulling it and remove it completely or at least remove and check for / repair any rust before it gets worse.

I had no idea that stuff was even up there until I accidentally touched it yesterday. I was kinda surprised. So does removing it have any downsides? It felt like something that would seriously cause rust -- absorbent.
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Doing a transmission swap. What should I do while in there? Reply with quote

Downside is noise penetration into the cabin. The blanket helps keep the road, tranny and engine noise down. It also keeps the amount of moisture and rust inducing forces up Smile ... It can (and does) absorb water. I had rust to deal with under mine.

Many tear it out and insulate from the inside instead with dynamat or other such products. There is a cost involved to this step.

I used Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro over top of Luxury liner Pro sound deadener. It made a huge difference inside the cabin on my TiiCo gas Inline 4 that uses the Diesel mounting components. I did from the base of the rear bench in my westy all the way to the rear hatch.

At the very least it is worth pulling back and inspecting. The job is much more difficult with the tranny in the way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: