Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon transaxle specs and interchange
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Vanagon transaxle specs and interchange Reply with quote

I searched in threads/FAQ and only got bits and pieces, if you have a link with the info already, share it please.

Can somebody give me the gear specifics as well as ring and pinion options between the years? Interchange details?

My '84 4 spd belched some parts out the drain plug and want to get my facts straight for a donor trans. Goal is to be driving in 2.5 weeks. This is not a rebuild thread.
jkallo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon transaxle specs and interchange Reply with quote

I am up to my eyeballs in exactly this right now. If you PM me your email addy, I'll send you this very nifty spreadsheet I have been using. It's designed to allow comparison of rpm/speeds amongst the trans, and it has a comprehensive list of all the vanagon trans options and gearings.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon transaxle specs and interchange Reply with quote

You should be able to swap in any of the commonly available North American 091/1 trans from MY "83.5--'91. They're all virtually identical, though the late '89 and up have some internal upgrades

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon transaxle specs and interchange Reply with quote

Look for any WBX 4 speed. Codes DU, ABD, ACW for USA market.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: