Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's wrong with this picture?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

Ows this look ?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

Needs a 90 degree spin on the bracket.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Needs a 90 degree spin on the bracket.

Tim

Clockwise
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

And the wires aren't hooked up but I guess you knew that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

And the generator clamp it not oriented correctly either.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
And the wires aren't hooked up but I guess you knew that.

And those terminals could use a good slathering of di-electric grease.
Coffee Freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Ows this look ?

Looks like the one I posted in this thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

asking for help identifying what my generator was out of. Nice of you to not only NOT help in my thread, but then turn around and ridicule me on how I installed the generator since my motor was literally handed to me as a box of parts of unknown origin, I'd say I did pretty good putting the pieces together. I thought this was more of a community where people go for assistance with their VW problems, instead of it being like so many other boards where a couple of know-it-alls sit around and belittle those actually trying to build something out of nothing.

But by all means, proceed.
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

A flat belt on a "v" grooved generator pulley?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

If you take this as ridiculing you are going to find life very, very hard.
Tom Butler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

agree 100 percent.

He was at best just ribbing you bud.

Take it as a compliment.

Proud Member Pata De Perro Vw Club

iowegian wrote:
Instead of converting your car to a different color, why not just buy one that is a color you like?
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

Take it in kindness. Zundfolge1432 is a real nice guy.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

goober wrote:
A flat belt on a "v" grooved generator pulley?
I think that's a V-belt. Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

missing some tin work.gen look fine to me.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

And the dipstick handle is pointing the hot direction.

Did you find this picture in a "Highlights" magazine?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd say the gen clamp needs to be turned so the fastening is at 3 O'Clock, nut down to stay clear of wires etc.

There's no plastic cap on the gen hole. The top hole had a plastic water/dust cap.

I can't see any brushes or brush holder assembly in the gen hole, but it might be my angle of view.

There's a screw missing on the tin.

The crank pulley is aftermarket, and it looks like it's not got a V-shaped groove. The belt also looks like it is not a V belt, again bad angle.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
wet_bread
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
And the dipstick handle is pointing the hot direction.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

More, and more when I suggest the forums here for an info resource, the response I'm getting is, "it's full of a bunch of know it all smart ass assholes". I'm not trying to directly call anyone specific out, but one persons joke may be interpreted as another's insult as read without body language/voice tone. Those who stir the shit for no apparent reason with the crowd I hang out with either have their cars "cross critiqued" to the point they go crying home to their Mommy regretting they ever bought their car, or they find themselves getting up off the ground. It's great you guys have 4 digit post counts, but there was a time in your lives when you installed stuff on your car incorrectly from ignorance too. What was even the purpose of this thread?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

Writing can be difficult especially if you consider all the audiences. There is what you want to say, and there is what you say, there is what people understand your words as, and what they think you mean, etc, etc.
ladyaria
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Abscate wrote:

More, and more when I suggest the forums here for an info resource, the response I'm getting is, "it's full of a bunch of know it all smart ass assholes". I'm not trying to directly call anyone specific out, but one persons joke may be interpreted as another's insult as read without body language/voice tone. Those who stir the shit for no apparent reason with the crowd I hang out with either have their cars "cross critiqued" to the point they go crying home to their Mommy regretting they ever bought their car, or they find themselves getting up off the ground. It's great you guys have 4 digit post counts, but there was a time in your lives when you installed stuff on your car incorrectly from ignorance too. What was even the purpose of this thread?

Applause
Excellent post, well said.

I am not sure what difference it makes whether this bracket is installed the correct or incorrect way? It's just a bracket. If it is installed incorrectly then you can politely point it out, but to steal the photo from another thread where someone was simply trying to get some information, and use it to start a thread asking "what's wrong with this photo" seems deliberately harsh. I am not sure how some people don't see that.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

As long as its not a safety hazard, I tend to not say anything at all.

Being introduced into a world of concours factory restorations at the place I work at now, and being in the aircooled hobby going on 28 years, the bar gets raised higher, and higher. I've witnessed a nationally accredited Mercedes-Benz Judge review a car with 100% positive comments. It was only when he was ASKED by the owner what could be done to make the car better did he point out anything incorrectly done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: