Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Time for an engine swap
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IronBenderII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

So, we were on our way up to Portland to show my kid Portland State. Just North of Grants Pass I decided to take a dirt road to camp for the night. The road was a muddy, tight single lane that turned out to be a driveway. I backed out about 1/8 a mile and all was great until the very end when I saw the road disappear in my rear view. I ended up sliding into a ditch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I tried to get out but was wedged pretty good. I ended up getting winched out (thanks AAA!). I added some oil and it fired right up/sounded great. We went a couple hundred yards down the road and camped for the night. Well, when I left in the morning it was pretty clear that there was a lot of damage, confirmed by a local mechanic. I ran it too long with no oil pressure while trying to get out. So now I'm getting towed by my favorite uncle back home.

I bought this van because it is a diesel and I knew I could swap whatever I want into it but I wasn't planing on doing that for a couple more years. So now it is time. I've read EVERY thread on the whole internet on this subject (yes, all of them) and am not sure which way to go. So I thought I'd start yet another thread so entrenched interests can get back to war on the subject.

I was originally thinking diesel (Subaru or TDI) but I really don't want to worry about the transaxle. So I think I've decided on gas. I'd prefer not to have to put premium in because I don't know if premium will be available all the places I hope to take this van (think Drive Nacho Drive). So I think that takes out the 1.8T option (all turbos?). I've put some thought into the attributes that are available to me, in descending order. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

1) reliability
2) fuel efficiency
3) availability of parts (this could easily be a #2)
4) ease of maintenance
5) ground clearance
6) power (I want to pull hills at 65 without destroying anything)
20) cost (I want to do this once and do it right - never looking back and wishing I hadn't gone all the way) (don't tell my wife this is #20)

Jack
FIRST Robotics Coach - #3859 (Wolfpack Robotics) http://www.twitter.com/wprobotics

'82 Diesel Westfalia with an 1Z TDI, Peloquin, GW 1.5" lift springs, 27" BFG ATs

'75 Bronco with 408 stroker, 40" MTRs, ARB/Dana 60 front/rear, all home built.

And my kid has a really cool baja bug Smile
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

I think they all do everything on your list (except the 1.9/2.1 wbx...don't know about the other wbx'RS).

I've had a Bostig for a year and love every bit of it. Hauled up and over Snoqualmue pass yesterday at 60 - 80 mph and cruised to the east side of WA 70 - 80 mph. Silky smooth, quiet and reliable so far (my gf just took it for a trouble-free solo 3,800 mile western states loop and is headed for a longer midwest/SW loop in about a month).

The Zetec is stupid-simple and works (so far Very Happy ). I'm so pleased to have left the wbx in the rear view. It's an ancient design with way too many parts working far too inefficiently.

From what I understand other non-wbx motors do the same as the Zetec (although Subis have one too many heads for my needs).

Pick any one and enjoy the drive.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
IronBenderII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Those motors seem very tall, how is the ground clearance?
FIRST Robotics Coach - #3859 (Wolfpack Robotics) http://www.twitter.com/wprobotics

'82 Diesel Westfalia with an 1Z TDI, Peloquin, GW 1.5" lift springs, 27" BFG ATs

WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

Not trying to hijack the thread, but any idea how much a conversion like a zetec cost?
IronBenderII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

WestyWanter wrote:
Not trying to hijack the thread, but any idea how much a conversion like a zetec cost?

No hijack at all, good question.

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

As for cost, it's all here. http://www.bostig.com
Do the conversion yourself and save $$ and know your van.

Ground clearance is very good with the HC oil pan. It's made from plate steel and fairly stout, but add the engine guard and bounce off rocks!

Keep in mind that the only engines that are California legal are the stock engines, the Subaru 2.2, and the 1.8t. Your van being a diesel originally may allow you to skirt the law if they only look at the paperwork, but you may be up the creek if they check the engine compartment. Wink

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

Thanks for the link! I guess I would need to do a lot more research but think around 3k for a conversion?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

Quote:
Bostig Vanagon Conversion RG8 retail deposit (Total Price $7099)

Sorry but this item is currently unavailable.

When do they open up for a new cohort?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
Quote:

Looks for the new cohort opens in fall, I just read an article that said RMW has a kit but a quick look at their site there was nothing. I think I over simplified it for the Bostig conversion on my estimation but
1400 for kit
400 HC Oil pan
400 for Skid plate
~1000 for a motor?

What am I missing here that gives a conversion estimation of 7k?
IronBenderII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
As for cost, it's all here. http://www.bostig.com
Do the conversion yourself and save $$ and know your van.

Ground clearance is very good with the HC oil pan. It's made from plate steel and fairly stout, but add the engine guard and bounce off rocks!

Keep in mind that the only engines that are California legal are the stock engines, the Subaru 2.2, and the 1.8t. Your van being a diesel originally may allow you to skirt the law if they only look at the paperwork, but you may be up the creek if they check the engine compartment. Wink

That's pretty nice. I hadn't really considered a Bostig but maybe I should put it on the list. Simple and reliable are super important. Thanks for sharing the info.

Jack

Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

WestyWanter wrote:
Paulbeard wrote:
Quote:

Looks for the new cohort opens in fall, I just read an article that said RMW has a kit but a quick look at their site there was nothing. I think I over simplified it for the Bostig conversion on my estimation but
1400 for kit
400 HC Oil pan
400 for Skid plate
~1000 for a motor?

Your 1400 for the kit is just the deposit. Re-read the top line on Bostig's website. Total cost from Bostig is $7100, then there is the motor, $1k a good number, and some other parts. Figure $10,000 and you won't have an unpleasant surprise.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
WestyWanter wrote:
Paulbeard wrote:
Quote:

1400 for kit
400 HC Oil pan
400 for Skid plate
~1000 for a motor?

Your 1400 for the kit is just the deposit. Re-read the top line on Bostig's website. Total cost from Bostig is $7100, then there is the motor, $1k a good number, and some other parts. Figure $10,000 and you won't have an unpleasant surprise.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, well I better be checking coolant and oil levels on the daily LOL
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

IronBenderII wrote:

I was originally thinking diesel (Subaru or TDI) but I really don't want to worry about the transaxle. So I think I've decided on gas.

I won't even bother attempting to compete with all the offbrand chatter, but you're going to have to deal with the transaxle no matter which modern engine you choose. The stock DZ trans is geared far too low to comfortably cruise at 65mph, so plan on at least swapping in a DK from an aircooled or stepping up to an 091/1 from a WBX van, along with all the shift linkage.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

WestyWanter wrote:

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, well I better be checking coolant and oil levels on the daily LOL

You'll discover there's no need to check it because it's always the same. Modern reliability is a good thing.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
IronBenderII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
IronBenderII wrote:

I was originally thinking diesel (Subaru or TDI) but I really don't want to worry about the transaxle. So I think I've decided on gas.

I won't even bother attempting to compete with all the offbrand chatter, but you're going to have to deal with the transaxle no matter which modern engine you choose. The stock DZ trans is geared far too low to comfortably cruise at 65mph, so plan on at least swapping in a DK from an aircooled or stepping up to an 091/1 from a WBX van, along with all the shift linkage.

Thanks. I'll have to look more into it but I'd like to put a new transaxle in (5 speed?) with a limited slip. What I was talking about with the transaxle is breaking something in the middle of Peru. I just don't want to have a problem once I'm done.

buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

I had my Bostig for 6 yrs now. Overall, its been great. The fact that you do it yourself really does make it much more reliable. I've had a few issues, but non left me stranded and all were pretty easy to resolve.

I do wish it had more power. It is very driveable. But when fully loaded going up a pass it can get stuck between 3rd and 4th and you just have to sit in 3rd at 55mph. A tighter ratio 5 or 6sp tranny would help this.

From what I understand in Cali, you never have to smog at all if you have a "diesel" right? You would need a gas bellhousing which would raise your costs

The 10k figure is awfully high. Motors are still all over the place for $400. I almost bought a whole car for $600 cause I wanted a spare and the a/c compressor.

Last edited by buildyourown on Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

I'm no fan of diesels for a few reasons but...I'd just put in a better VW diesel for all the reasons you already listed; legality, transaxle, reliability, economy, etc.

I can't even imagine a better option for you. Certainly not a Zetec conversion...

I don't know if you've ever seen one but CA has mobile emissions stations (with Dyno!) they setup like dui roadblocks.

If they catch you with a petrol motor in a diesel van it will be impounded and crushed.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

What about a 1,9 SDI diesel ?
68hp 133nm
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

Buy a 93-99 golf or jetta for $300 an use the 2.0 motor and injection from it.
When you have adiesel already it is cheap, suoer reliable and parts are dirt cheap.

you can do it for under a grand an go from 48hp to 115hp.

You can mod it to get closer to the 130hp and have plenty of leftover cash.
david2676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

For what it's worth Ca road side emission check points are voluntary, all you have to do is say your in a hurry and refuse. Be polite and of course don't be dui .... if the van is smog exempt ... I would say so. Those check points are meant for racers etc ....

I did a 2.5 frankin. Have had zero issues getting it smogged, except one station did not want I'm guessing because they had no idea what to do. Block away smog check done with no issue.

I bought the engine as an almost turn key kit .... installed it and since it runs great. It's fun to drive a van with passing power.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: