Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

IMPORTANT brake master cylinder information!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: IMPORTANT brake master cylinder information! Reply with quote

Damn....I hate being TOTALLY WRONG! Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad

But on the other hand I like learning something new...especially after almost 40 years of working on these cars.
I probably could have found that others in these forums already knew this information...if I had asked or looked deep enough.

So....titan3c asked a very important question that I "thought" I was giving the right answer to.

" If the brake light switches on the master cylinder go on the top holes/ports...why do all the books show them in the bottom holes/ports?"

I said that the fluid lines to the brake cylinders should have the larger holes...obviously......and I was wrong!

My very first 411 mechanic (high school)...a genius...but obviously didn't know everything! Laughing ...had pointed out to me that the fluid ports to the wheel cylinders and calipers MUST have the greater fluid flow...and it all sounded and looked right...so I NEVER...even noted that all of the books show it the other way around.

So:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This IS the correct location for the brake light switches...in the lower holes.

Why is this?

I found this in the InterEurope shop manual. A manual that is kind of rare in the US...I have only had for about 1.5 years....and is very incomplete...but has some REAL gold nuggets of type 4 only information.

This information is NOT in the Haynes manual, the Clymer manual, the Drake book, the Chiltons....and is not in the Bentley for type 3...but I'm not sure the type 3 has this feature.

As the text notes....to keep from having to use residual pressure valves on the fluid outlet ports which can cause brake drag in some situations....they used restricted/smaller drillings in the fluid outlet ports ....to allow for faster pressure build up while bleeding the brakes.

Damn...very cool!

This is the top "restrictor" port that feeds the metal brake lines to the calipers and wheel cylinders

This is the lower port that feeds the brake light switches.

Sorry for the blue pictures....I had to use my LED light to illuminate these.

In your fluid lines and brake switches are reversed...like they have always been on my car...even before I bought it....this will NOT cause any problems with braking. It may just make bleeding a little more difficult/slow.

Since they have always been reversed on my car...and my very first mechanic also did this.....I do not feel totally alone in my misunderstanding of the system.... Rolling Eyes Laughing .

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT brake master cylinder information! Reply with quote

Yes, the Type 3 masters had two sized orifices to aid in bleeding:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=509786
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT brake master cylinder information! Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Yes, the Type 3 masters had two sized orifices to aid in bleeding:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=509786

Ah.....good to know that type 3 has this as well. The brown Bentley makes no mention. Then again the defunct early MC with the small bore warning light cylinder uses residual pressure valves....so probabaly does not have this restrictor drilling.

Your comment in the other thread about uneven braking.......yes....it "could" give uneven braking if say....one circuit was plumbed to a restrictor and one to a non-restrictor port.

However I know from...sadly....experience. Laughing .....that plumbing the brakes to either hole will make no difference in braking.

Two of my type 4s had the hard lines plumbed to the wrong ports....my first one and current one. My other 411s and 412s were all ....normal....meaning correct. ...and it makes no difference on actual braking.

Looking back....it does make a big difference in bleeding a system when starting from scratch....meaning system drained.

Thank you for the confirmation. I learn something new/old every day. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT brake master cylinder information! Reply with quote

Thanks Ray, we all learn from this good info!
Im not under the dash right now but isnt it quite obvouis which brake line to go to what port when you try to re fit the master.?..I remember the lines to be wery stiff...

Also I nowdays try to N O T drain the lines going to the wheels whatever I do yo the brakes...as we kmow bleeding the lines to the rear is a BIG p.i.t.a. if they have been emty... Crying or Very sad

Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT brake master cylinder information! Reply with quote

Lars S wrote:
Thanks Ray, we all learn from this good info!
Im not under the dash right now but isnt it quite obvouis which brake line to go to what port when you try to re fit the master.?..I remember the lines to be wery stiff...

Also I nowdays try to N O T drain the lines going to the wheels whatever I do yo the brakes...as we kmow bleeding the lines to the rear is a BIG p.i.t.a. if they have been emty... Crying or Very sad

Lars S

Yes Lars....it "should" be obvious......if a PO has not bent the lines to fit the other ports. This is how the car I have was when I got it.....and how my first 411 was "modified" by my mechanic back in 1978.

I think titan3c also noted that at least one of his lines lead to the wrong port the way it was shaped.
On one hand....no real harm done braking wise.....but obviously it makes it damn hard to bleed.
Hahing bled clutch slaves without this feature....AND without a residual pressure valve (like my Saab 900).......it makes a huge difference. I am surprised that this is not most of the type 4 shop manuals. Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT brake master cylinder information! Reply with quote

This all comes at the time I am installing a NOS mc, and I was just going to start the bleeding procedure today.

The new mc had the switches on the bottom, and the old mc which came with the car when new (71 sedan) are on top. When I was installing the new mc the brake line nearest the fire wall lacked about quarter of an inch being long enough. So I took the mc out, and moved the switches to the top, and everything went well. Since I haven't got everything buttoned up yet, and haven't done the bleeding----I may just do it over, and put the Switches back on the bottom. If I remember correctly there isn't any possibility of stretching the short line. It's a real straight line to the lower connection, no bends. It would require making a short line "hook-up), or maybe I could find some kind of connection that would make up the shortage. If I had already done the bleeding I would live with it--- I'm a well known recipient of "murphys law", and use to it. So changes and corrections are not new to me. Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT brake master cylinder information! Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
This all comes at the time I am installing a NOS mc, and I was just going to start the bleeding procedure today.

The new mc had the switches on the bottom, and the old mc which came with the car when new (71 sedan) are on top. When I was installing the new mc the brake line nearest the fire wall lacked about quarter of an inch being long enough. So I took the mc out, and moved the switches to the top, and everything went well. Since I haven't got everything buttoned up yet, and haven't done the bleeding----I may just do it over, and put the Switches back on the bottom. If I remember correctly there isn't any possibility of stretching the short line. It's a real straight line to the lower connection, no bends. It would require making a short line "hook-up), or maybe I could find some kind of connection that would make up the shortage. If I had already done the bleeding I would live with it--- I'm a well known recipient of "murphys law", and use to it. So changes and corrections are not new to me. Bob

You will have no braking issues no matter what holes you put them in....as long as the brake lines are all in the same size hole...
So put both switches in both the upper holes....or in both the lower holes.

It is just a bleeding difference.

Yes.....the brake pipe fit is very tight....and its hard to work under the dash. From my memories....the brake pipe fit....and ANGLE is so tight.....that if you bend the lines almost any amount.....they will be damn hard to fit back up again once the MC is installed.

I believe this is how it gets started....that the switches and brake lines get moved around.

I know this for fact. If everything is hooked up correctly....switches on the bottom and lines on the top......if you have to replace a brake light switch...especially the one closest to the driver....just pushing your hands and a socket in there around the brake lines to get a switch out....will warp/bend the lines enough that the next time you remove and replace the master cylinder.....you can feel the Union nuts are tight taking the lines loose and they are damn near impossible to get realigned and installed correctly with the MC already bolted to the pedal cluster.

One more than one car.....I had to remove the C clip and clevis pin holding the pushrod to the pedal.....then I had to install the switches....then install the brake lines.....then wrestle the pedal up against the pedal cluster and install the bolts.....then install the pushrod and clevis pin.

This is one of the main reasons why when I last worked on mine....I had no issues of remoging that damn steel shield on the right side of the pedal cluster. It made everything q bit easier. Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT brake master cylinder information! Reply with quote

Yep, I've been thinking it over, and I think I'll just leave my installation intact the way I got it. This afternoon I will start the bleeding process, as you explained it.

As for that little tin shield-----it sure was a big help to cut that off. I cut mine off too. I'm planning on working that into a take off item like engine tin, and bolt it back on. Still can't figure out why it was there in the first place. But I'll give the engineers credit for it being there for some reason, and bolt it on

BTW Ray, That composite cover that goes underneath all of this is laying in the trunk of my car, and is in good condition, not perfect but real good. If you need it for mold pattern we'll work out a way to get it to you. Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT brake master cylinder information! Reply with quote

Funny you should mention that cover. I was working that one....and the valance in the rear window over in my head....again....this past weekend.

I already know how to mold them.....and funny enough....the mold will either be high eensity plaster or fine portland cement....or a combination.

The issue I have been working over is what to make these parts from.....fiberglass, casting resin etc.....will all warp in the heat.

I see why they made them from cast cardboard....but they need to be a little tougher.....and coated for water resistance.

I have decided to make the first one.....from heavy aluminum foil. Like twice the thickness of store bought heavy aluminum foil. About 5-6 layers with a thin layer of sprayed bedliner in between. I will then put a spray texture on the outside. The texture will be slightly different from factory.....but will look professional. Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT brake master cylinder information! Reply with quote

Awwright, that sounds great. I'm looking forward to the results. When I think of molds I think of pouring something in them. But there are press dies or molds too. I'm not an expert on the proper material for particular uses, as an metallurgist like you. That rear window part will sure make an improvement on the inside appearance, and so will the other one. Bob
lofoxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT brake master cylinder information! Reply with quote

If I should post a new thread, by all means, let me know - figured this was active and somewhat relevant. Bought a master cylinder for my 411, installed, and it seems the seals are rather corroded... it barfed brake fluid all over the place. Any thoughts on options for a better master? Or a custom master install?

Thanks in advance, guys.
Loren
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT brake master cylinder information! Reply with quote

lofoxx wrote:
If I should post a new thread, by all means, let me know - figured this was active and somewhat relevant. Bought a master cylinder for my 411, installed, and it seems the seals are rather corroded... it barfed brake fluid all over the place. Any thoughts on options for a better master? Or a custom master install?

Thanks in advance, guys.
Loren

Yes...you are probably in the right place...kind of.... Laughing but should probably be here. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=668756

But for now...lets address at least one question to get you started.

1. was this an NOS master cylinder, used or rebuilt?
2. What brand and do you have any pictures of the packaging?
3. What do you mean it barfed brake fluid everywhere....from where?
4. Yes....the other thread I listed is about alternate master cylinders and other modifications.

I am having Everett rename the other thread so it reflects more than just one modification....and covers all modifications.

Its an ongoing conversation to find out what master cylinders can be fit into the 411/412.

For the moment.....if your cylinder is not horribly rusted....you can rebuild what you have by buying a kit for another master cylinder....and using the SEALS and BRASS FLAP VALVES...ONLY.

That is in this thread...and in the next day or so I will be posting what needs to be done for a basic "refurb"....which includes cleaning....derusting/descaling/honing....cleaning up the piston seating surfaces.....and tricks/tips for getting the new seals off of the pistons they come with and putting them on your old pistons.

The trick is.....with master cylinders...is that the pistons never wear out unless they are heavily corroded on the flap valve sealing faces and cannot be resurfaced. I will post methods to clean up the sealing faces on teh pistons as long as they do not have deep holes or pits.

Also....you can use a hone on the cylinders....but it should be a very fine hone. The typical brake hone you buy at a parts store is 360 grit...which is too rough. The brake master cylinder is not an engine cylinder. It requires only the very finest tooth to keep lubricant ahead of the sealing cup. Anything more and it wears the cups.

Also the MC should only honed JUST enough to get any rust pits down to about .002" deep or less. If after honing....the bore is more than .004" larger than the pistons....it cannot be used. So also having a fine hone helps to prevent this.
You would rather have an ultra fine hone of about 600-800 grit....so you will have to hone it for a while, stop, inspect, measure, repeat...rather than hone it for 30 seconds and have it risk being oversized real quick.

The tool I have found that works the best is the 600-800 grit flex hone

http://www.brushresearch.com/brushes.php?c1=1 These are about $29 and last ages.

If you look around you can find them cheaper. Buy the Flex Hone brand ONLY...and always NEW not used.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-4-034-19mm-Flexhone-flex-hone-lifter-bore-600-grit-/351986497023?vxp=mtr

I will be putting all of that rebuild information in this thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674249

Lastly.....coming up this week....I will be adding to that thread...a note about making a long term stock replacement alternative for the 411/412 master cylinder.

The gist is....that I can hone cores out to make sure all rust is gone, acid and caustic treat to totally derust down to bare cast iron.....and then plate the bores with NICKLE.
Nickle is hard and very rust resistant. In fact it will not rust. I can bring the honed bore back up to NEW tolerance during the plating process...then give it a quick hone with 800 grit to put the fine tooth on it.

Then the stock pistons can be rebuilt with seals from cheap NEW kits for type 1 and 3 that are available on Rock auto for about $23. If you do not scratch up the bore....these master cylinders should be rebuildable easily for the rest of your life.

I will also probably put a flash plating (about 1/3 the thickness of the bore plating)...on the outside of the cylinder. So..yes...they will be pretty as well Laughing ...not have to be painted ....and will not rust.

It will cost me about $350 to get this set up for plating. So...I will put out a poll to see who is interested in having one or more stock master cylinder cores plated for a low cost to help defray the cost of setting up.

If I can get about 10 people to kick in and ship cores to me (I have four to start with)....I am thinking that cleaning, honing and plating for a cost of about $30 each.....would get it covered. If you have more than one core to plate....it would be something like $30 for the first core and maybe $5 for each additional core just to cover the cost of cleaning chemistry and nickel replenisher.

Ray
lofoxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT brake master cylinder information! Reply with quote

1. was this an NOS master cylinder, used or rebuilt? (NOS, but just old...)
2. What brand and do you have any pictures of the packaging? (ATE
411 611 015B - I don't have the box at the moment)
3. What do you mean it barfed brake fluid everywhere....from where? (From the master)
4. Yes....the other thread I listed is about alternate master cylinders and other modifications.

Thanks Ray!!! Seems like it might be a good option just to customize rather than keep going after old borked parts...

Thanks!
Loren
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT brake master cylinder information! Reply with quote

lofoxx wrote:
1. was this an NOS master cylinder, used or rebuilt? (NOS, but just old...)
2. What brand and do you have any pictures of the packaging? (ATE
411 611 015B - I don't have the box at the moment)
3. What do you mean it barfed brake fluid everywhere....from where? (From the master)

Thanks Ray!!! Seems like it might be a good option just to customize rather than keep going after old borked parts...

Thanks!
Loren

Ok.....so it blew out the back seal on the piston the pushrod contacts?

Yep.....this is one of the problems common with NOS cylinders.

Yes.....a bracket can be built and type 1 or type 3 MCs can be installed.....its a bit of modification....a bracket, the lines need to be bent to new location......pushrod clevis extended etc.

You might also look at my thread about having the cylinders plated so they can be rebuilt with just new seals anytime it needs it..... indefinitely . Or you could have the original cylinder bore can be resleeved......about $150-180......with stainless and should also largely last forever. Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT brake master cylinder information! Reply with quote

Just a couple of technique questions: How to remove the reservoir connections on top of the mc. And how to put pressure on the push rod spring when removing the clip ring to keep innards from flying out, perhaps hitting you. This may sound silly, but I've never done this, and I can see the possibility of a ooops. Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT brake master cylinder information! Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
Just a couple of technique questions: How to remove the reservoir connections on top of the mc. And how to put pressure on the push rod spring when removing the clip ring to keep innards from flying out, perhaps hitting you. This may sound silly, but I've never done this, and I can see the possibility of a ooops. Bob

The reservoir hose removal Crying or Very sad ......this is one of the primary reasons I really wanted to get the master cylinder out from under the dash.

First you want to drain all of the fluid out of the reservoir....or clamp the blue brake hoses. Either way fluid is going to flow out and dribhle all over.

So you remember what kind of force it took to get those nylon 90° elbows into the rubber bungs right?.....not that much but it took a little twisting around.

I take a fairly wide width of flat blade screwdriver......and slide it under the plastic elbow where it is attached to the blue feeder hose. Either lever against the master cylinder by twisting it.....to pop the elbow out......or ....if you can reach this....lay another screwdriver on top of the MC at about a 90° angle to the one you are pruing with to act as a leverage bar. I will post a picture of this in an hour or so.

Ok......the spring set up.
First.....go ahead and remove the 8-10mm inner circuit locking screw from the side of the MC now and put it and it's copper seal in a safe place.

Now....you need to either put the MC in a vise standing vertically....use rags to soften the jaws. Make sure it is secure and not going to shift sideways.

The piston set will not come flying out more than an inch.....but that "C" ring can. Take a thin flat blade screwdriver and place it in the space between the one of the legs of the C ring close to the open section of the C.
Place your thumb over the C ring at the back of the C to keep it from flying away.
Pry up the leg of the C ring so its out of the groove. Grab it with needle nose pliers and walk it out of the groove.
The pistons will now spring up about 1/2" to 1" at most. You can pull the primary/outer piston assembly out......but you will have to pick up the master cylinder and rap it on a table or wood block to get the inner piston set out.

On reassembly.....and this is important......you need to mount the cylinder securely back in the vise. Then set up a bright light or flashlight pointing to the small hole for the 10mm inner piston stop screw......so when you look in the cylinder bore.....you can see light shining through the hole.
You must do this....so that when you push in the inner piston set......you know it has cleared that hole.......so that the stop screw does not come up against the side of the piston and damage it.
Use brake fluid or brake assembly lubricant to lube the inner piston set. Insert it spring first....and use a blunt plastic or wood pick....to work the skirts of the rubber cups into the cylinder.

I use a CLEAN 3/8" socket extension with a 8 or 9mm socket on the end as a pusher to push yhe piston in past the stop screw hole. There is a small raised disk or knob of about 7-8mm on top of the inner piston that will keep the socket from slipping sideways and contacting the bore. You can also use a 1/2" wood dowel but make sure its hard wood and clean to leave no sawdust or splinters.

Have the seal on the stop screw and have it at hand ready.

I lean on the socket extension or rod....to push the piston down until I see daylight through the stop screw hole when looking in the bore.

This is the hard part....you have to hold that piston down while you screw in the stop screw. If you can get it screwed in all the way to where its just about to seat on the copper washer....you are good. If it only goes in 1/2 to 3/4 of the way and meets resistance......then you have let the pistin slip upward and the screw is contacting the piston in the wrong place.

Back the screw out and rest your arm and try it again.

The outer piston set.....lube it....use the plastic or wood picks to work the cups in.....and I use a fairly large Phillips screwdriver about 12"- 14" long....in the pushrod bore so it will not dent the bore .....to push in the piston. You will want to put the washer on the screwdriver.....have the C ring at the ready. Push the piston in so its just below the inner face of the washer. Let the washer drop into place.....stick one leg of the C ring into the groove. This will help hold the assembly in place as your hand gets tired and the piston tries to put pressure on the washer. Keep the thumb of your other hand on the C ring so it cant pop out. Hold it down with its one leg in the groove. If you can use your fingers and thumb to push sideways on theC ring to compress it and pop the other loose leg into the groove.....do so.....otherwise....keep pressure on the C ring....release the screwdriver....and use a blunt flatblade screwdriver to push the leg of the C sideways until it pops into the groove.

So.....if you can wait until near the end of the day I will post some pictures of this whole sequence. Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT brake master cylinder information! Reply with quote

Titan3c........I know you are trying to get your car back on the road.

So aside from bleeding attempts it sounds like the NOS cylinder may have had the "old seal cup" syndrome.

This does not make it a bad deal ....just temporarily useless. It should have a nice clean bore and no oversize issues and clean pistons and hopefully clean flap valves.

If you want......you can send it to me to put seals in it for youm I have three seal sets and can get it together in about an hour or two and have proper brake paste and a few little tools for putting the seals on and a good bit of practice.

I will post how to make a little "spoon" that really helps to get seals on without damage.....in lieu of the unobtanium tapered sleeves like the factory manual shows.....but its still a b*tch.

The seals only ran me $3 a set so no charge. I can use yours to photograph for the how to. Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT brake master cylinder information! Reply with quote

OK---sounds good to me. I could send the nos or the old one or both. You might find the old one interesting since it has been in the car since new. Use the PM for mailing instructions if you wish. Bob
lofoxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT brake master cylinder information! Reply with quote

Hi Ray,

What are the chances I could send you a master cylinder for my '72 411 for you to rebuild? Can't find a kit to save my life... the car is ready to roll outside of this piece.

Thanks in advance,
Loren
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT brake master cylinder information! Reply with quote

lofoxx wrote:
Hi Ray,

What are the chances I could send you a master cylinder for my '72 411 for you to rebuild? Can't find a kit to save my life... the car is ready to roll outside of this piece.

Thanks in advance,
Loren

Its not a problem. What is the condition of your current cylinder? Is it just in need of new seals or does it have rust problems in the bore?

If its just seals......a Raybestos MK514 type 1/type 3 kit will work for the seals, boot, clip, washers and flap valves. The pistons will be thrown away.after removing the seals.

If you Google that Raybestos part #....summot racing has them for about $20. A few places on Amazon have them for $20-30.

If you have no bore rust pits...and you buy a kit.....I can do it.

If the bore has rust pits......thats a different gig......BUT......I am gathering interest and people together for a "group buy" of sorts.

Take a look at this thread. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=676949

I have two people with three cylinders interested. I will have three cylinders at least in the mix at the same cost per cylinder to me. I will be plating brake master cylinders as soon as I get enough interest to place an order for the plating tank chemicals.

With nickel plate.....I can bring them back to factory specs in the bore and make them largely rust proof all over. Along with your old pistons and the seals and valve from an MK514 kit.....you can get a pretty much lifetime cylinder with overhaul for about $55 total.

If you cannot wait.....NAPA lists a type 4 specific rebuilt MF for $36.99 with a $3.00 core .....part # NMC P2199.
I have no idea of the quality.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=Master%2...m-savedveh

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: