Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DBR Seats
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glassy Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: DBR Seats Reply with quote

Hi Everyone. I would love to buy a pair of these seats with the matching back seat as well. I notice the website is no longer available. I know some of you folks have them in your buggies. Has he stopped producing them? Does anyone have any contact information? Thank you so much.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: DBR Seats Reply with quote

Personally I dislike those style seats (poly shells)... I prefer a full suspension seat, more comfortable over long haul....

I have PRP Roadsters in my buggy and would do it again just for the comfort

http://www.prpseats.com/product-category/seats/roadster/

Had poly shell seats in "auto cross" prepared buggy and hated them they were uncomfortable from the moment I got in till I got out...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Glassy Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: DBR Seats Reply with quote

Thank you for the input Dale. Something to consider for sure.
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: DBR Seats Reply with quote

I remember seeing those advertised on their website. They were listed as reproductions of original Manx seats and upholstery, and the seat shells were fiberglass not poly. They looked like a high quality item, but did not seem to be marketed very well.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: DBR Seats Reply with quote

Those were not Poly "blow mold" seats, they were fiberglass. I got to have a set in my hands to look at, and the quality was very high, not EMPI trash.

And I too thought the marketing was poorly done. Most likely why they are not around.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: DBR Seats Reply with quote

Don't know if my ass could tell the difference between poly and fiberglass. Both are hard.

The suspension seats are the way to go for comfort, in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: DBR Seats Reply with quote

Those were replicas of the Foyega seats, one of the seats which Meyers Manx sold. With modern high density foam and if the glass bucket is a proper shape and the upholsterer knows his job, and the occupant isn't too
big, they can be reasonably comfortable.

They also look perfect in an original buggy

andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: DBR Seats Reply with quote

Seat comfort probably depends a lot on how you use your buggy. My current buggy has PRP suspension seats, and they are pretty comfortable, but not a comfortable as the professionally narrowed and reupholstered late model Mustang buckets that were in my last one. I think the seats pictured could do the job for weekend cruises, but probably not for cross country tours. I do like the classic look, and nice stitching, materials and matching rear seat treatment out of the box.
WMAGRU
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: DBR Seats Reply with quote

Hey Dale,

The PRP seats look great. Do they mount on standard VW seat frames like I have in my buggy restoration?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: DBR Seats Reply with quote

You need to get adapter and then sliders.... They are not designed to fit vw seat rails unless you mod old seat bases to fit to seats..... I just drilled out spot welds and removed VW rails and bolted new sliders directly to floor...

Round plastic disk on bottom of sliders are shipping details to protect threaded studs... A few dollars cheaper for same product...

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal-Seat-Sliders,7103.html

http://www.prpseats.com/product/slider-kit/

Seat brackets..

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal-Seat-Mount-Plates,7104.html

http://www.prpseats.com/product/universal-angle-mounts/

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
laurie18
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: DBR Seats Reply with quote

Just found this thread. Should have bought the DBR seats when they were available. Anyone know if original Manx style seats are available anywhere else? Got some ridiculously high quotes from trimmers in the UK to produce something in that style, with the fluted basket weave vinyl.
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: DBR Seats Reply with quote

tgodber wrote:
Don't know if my ass could tell the difference between poly and fiberglass. Both are hard.

The suspension seats are the way to go for comfort, in my opinion.

Ditto.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: DBR Seats Reply with quote

laurie18 wrote:
Just found this thread. Should have bought the DBR seats when they were available. Anyone know if original Manx style seats are available anywhere else? Got some ridiculously high quotes from trimmers in the UK to produce something in that style, with the fluted basket weave vinyl.

Find something at auto salvage yard usually a lot less expensive than new "custom"...... Lots of great seats out there ... Unless your buggy is long wheel base back area behind seats is a "package area" and does not need seat upholstery all it needs is a bit of carpet to finish "floor"...

Dale

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: