Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie and New Buggy
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruserious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Newbie and New Buggy Reply with quote

Hello,

I am new to the forum and just purchased my first VW Buggy. I am wondering if anyone might know what type of body style this one is?

Cheers...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie and New Buggy Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum and the addiction...

Don't recognize the body style but it appears you have acquired a nice looking buggy that is a solid platform to do what ever you want with...

Might want to cruise over to this site and see if you can identify body style from information they have there...

http://dunebuggyarchives.com

The main tub looks almost pure manx but hood is very different... Many bodies were copied off Myers Manx tub and they just made hood and dash mods and some other cosmetic changes to give (slight) different appearance so the could put their own name on it...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie and New Buggy Reply with quote

Tell us more about the buggy. What are your plans? Is it a runner or are you taking it apart for a rebuild?

We like pictures!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie and New Buggy Reply with quote

With the headlight buckets in the fenders it wasn't hard to find on the Dune Buggy Archives. Didja look there?

Nice looking buggy ruserious.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
ruserious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie and New Buggy Reply with quote

Thank you for the welcome.

No I did not look in the archives. I will do more research.

I purchased this buggy to enjoy in San Carlos Mexico. Here we can drive in the street, the mountains and the dunes and some beaches.

It has a 1641 that runs very strong. I will pull the motor to check/replace the main seal and of course the clutch disc, pressure plate and bearing. Detail the motor while pulled. Upgrade the ignition and add a remote oil cooler. Add gauges and tachometer, fuse box to spades and replace all switches to relay switches. Add a steering wheel quick release hub.

Clean the whole tub, fiberglass any rough spots and apply a deep pearl orange paint job, with black bedliner on the lower body and under pan and floor pan and change the interior to grey with new seats.

Thanks again for the welcome.
jwalte01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie and New Buggy Reply with quote

I have the same buggy. Found it in DBA under X in the buggy ID's. It's X-0043
Frizbal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie and New Buggy Reply with quote

I like your tail lights... but I may be biased Very Happy
Frizbal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie and New Buggy Reply with quote

It actually looks like we may have similar blinkers too. I have no clue what they are from though.
56 manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie and New Buggy Reply with quote

Frizbal wrote:
It actually looks like we may have similar blinkers too. I have no clue what they are from though.

I have a pr. of those blinkers as well, but currently I'm not using them. They were made by Signal Stat the same company that manufactured the blinker switch/ modules that mounted on the steering columns.

Signal Stat was eventually was bought out by Petersen, the same Petersen as in the Petersen car museum located in LA I believe.

For some reason I've been seeing them all over lately, and as for mine I can't decide if there's a place on my buggy where I'd be happy mounting them or not. Sadly my gasket [rubber I think] need replaced, and there's probably no finding replacements for them, oh well.

I love them all the same even if I don't end up using them.

Frizbal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie and New Buggy Reply with quote

Well, nice to have some history on them. Never thought I'd find out. My rubber is dried out too, but doesn't bother me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: