Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Splitty Poptop Sheet Metal Needed
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kapa1524
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Splitty Poptop Sheet Metal Needed Reply with quote

Hey everyone,
I have a 67 poptop. The opening in the roof needs to be repaired and need the sheet metal to replace what rusted hole is left. Any idea of how to get something like this? Thanks!

Josh
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitty Poptop Sheet Metal Needed Reply with quote

Embarassed shipping might be a problem- we just cut a hole for Rivi top and have that piece leaning against the wall.

Feel free to come to Az. and pick it up.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kapa1524
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitty Poptop Sheet Metal Needed Reply with quote

Awesome. How big is it? I think it might work to ship it but depends on size. If there is just a couple inches around the hole thats all I need. Thanks for replying!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitty Poptop Sheet Metal Needed Reply with quote

looks like just a slab with a slight curve to it- nothing special- looks like a visit to a metal shop would get you the same stuff- I'll see If I can find a pic if the stuff.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kapa1524
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitty Poptop Sheet Metal Needed Reply with quote

Ah maybe I want clear. I need the actual from factory hole that vw made on pop tops. It's more than a piece of sheet metal.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Splitty Poptop Sheet Metal Needed Reply with quote

The flange on the pop top opening on a split Westfalia was hand formed in place at the Westfalia factory from the existing roof skin while it was on the bus, a skilled sheet metal person can re create that from flat patches.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Grönis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitty Poptop Sheet Metal Needed Reply with quote

When i changed the roof on my westy I made the hole and formed the flange with hammer and Dolly.
Its not so hard but needed a lot of measuring.

I made the hole 2*15mm smaller for the flange.

Had the original Wood strengthener as a referens.

kapa1524
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitty Poptop Sheet Metal Needed Reply with quote

Thanks. So the best way to do it looks like having it custom made? Or if anyone has a bus with a poptop roof they don't need. HA HA! Thanks for the info!!!
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitty Poptop Sheet Metal Needed Reply with quote

kapa1524 wrote:
Ah maybe I want clear. I need the actual from factory hole that vw made on pop tops. It's more than a piece of sheet metal.

A specific picture of the area in question goes a long way to helping.... Smile

kapa1524 wrote:
Thanks. So the best way to do it looks like having it custom made?

More than likely yeah, a small patch is probably easier to fabricate. If you needed and entire hole area replacement - it's probably still easier to meld a non-poptop piece and fab the flange.

it's a flange, it's not hard. Smile if it's the corners, it's a bit harder, but practice practice. another way to do it is to do the roof section first (matching the roof curves, then cut the opening to match the finished flange minus. take a small flat piece to become the new vertical flange and weld it in place (T joint). then cut off the bottom (inside the hole).

lots of ways to approach it, but pictures of the actual area can help! Smile
...david - '66 SO-44 #231
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: