Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Doka rear cab interior panel?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TKentT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Doka rear cab interior panel? Reply with quote

Anyone know the dimensions of this piece? Any pre-made source? I can find rear door panels at Sewfine, for example, but not this rear panel.

Thanks!

1986 Doka Transporter, 14" Syncro w/dual lockers -- 60,000km Swedish firetruck...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682322

30+ VWs before them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Doka rear cab interior panel? Reply with quote

Quote:
rear cab interior panel

What piece?
TKentT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Doka rear cab interior panel? Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Quote:
rear cab interior panel

What piece?

The one on the back wall of the cab, behind the back seat.

1986 Doka Transporter, 14" Syncro w/dual lockers -- 60,000km Swedish firetruck...

30+ VWs before them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Doka rear cab interior panel? Reply with quote

Sounds like you are working with a Tristar, is that correct? My standard model truck has no covering there.
TKentT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Doka rear cab interior panel? Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Sounds like you are working with a Tristar, is that correct?

No, but mine has the remnants of some paper-type panel, similar to the rear door/side panels. It is missing, and there's not enough left to get a good measurement. The one on the driver's side is very damaged with a huge hole in it.

Is this rear panel, behind the seat back not original? If it is not, I won't worry about it, though it would be nice to insulate and add sound deadener there...

30+ VWs before them...
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Doka rear cab interior panel? Reply with quote

You are going to have to post a picture. Maybe someone can identify it.
Where did your truck come from? Maybe they were outfitted differently there, mine is canadian.
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Doka rear cab interior panel? Reply with quote

My 84, ex-bundeswehr truck has no evidence of a rear cab panel. My truck came with a 40/60 seat (2 seater and a single) in the rear. In all of my parts sourcing I have never seen a panel behind the rear Doka seats.

That is what your asking yes, a panel behind the rear seats?

If you want one, the base model rear cards were just a glorified cardboard, you could cut and paint as you see fit from modern materials.

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Doka rear cab interior panel? Reply with quote

Best bet is to make a template out of cardboard and then trace onto some hardboard.
If you can't find a single piece of cardboard big enough you can always tape together several smaller pieces. Just keep trimming away the cardboard until you get a nice fit.

I don't think even the TriStar had one behind the seat (I can't remember for certain) but in this picture of my old one you can just barely see that there is nothing behind the seat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Doka rear cab interior panel? Reply with quote

The Tristars do 100% have a hardboard panel behind the back seat. It goes under the rear window and rises to the roof on each side of the window. There is also generous amounts of sound deadening material behind it.
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Doka rear cab interior panel? Reply with quote

This photo does not show a rear panel (does not mean there was not one), but it does show the sound deadening behind the TriStar rear bench. I took this photo when I bought a TS rear bench for my Doka back in 2011.

Those holes on the vertical frame may have been for a card attachment...

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
TKentT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Doka rear cab interior panel? Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:

Where did your truck come from? Maybe they were outfitted differently there, mine is canadian.

Sweden. Base model, 5-seater with a few options such as heated drivers seat.

Bman wrote:

That is what your asking yes, a panel behind the rear seats?

If you want one, the base model rear cards were just a glorified cardboard, you could cut and paint as you see fit from modern materials.

Mine's an 1986 model, not yet in my hands (Bus-Man is shipping) and I'm just trying to source parts in advance. The driver's side panel (dark brown) is very wrinkled and moisture damaged. The driver's side rear card has a huge hole in it.

From photos, it appeared to have the remnants of a card behind the back seat, below the window. But now you guys are convincing me that I was imagining things...

Thanks for all the feedback! I'll just focus on a set of four, front and rear side) panels!

30+ VWs before them...
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Doka rear cab interior panel? Reply with quote

Bman wrote:
This photo does not show a rear panel (does not mean there was not one), but it does show the sound deadening behind the TriStar rear bench. I took this photo when I bought a TS rear bench for my Doka back in 2011.

Yep, that's how mine looked. No panel.
In any case, you can always make one.

My blue Syncro Doka had this black vinyl surrounding the window, but no panel behind the seat.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Doka rear cab interior panel? Reply with quote

Bman wrote:

Hahaha. You guys were meaning actually physically behind the seat? Nope, you`re correct no panel. I was visualizing the panel that covers the tin above the seat area, around the back window. Same material covering the hardboard as the headliner.
Birdcage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Doka rear cab interior panel? Reply with quote

I have panels in my tristar for the rear section. I remade them a few years ago to integrate speakers and 12v/USB plugs. There's pics on the tristar Facebook page under my name (Dai stoker). Edit: I just posted a pic on my Instagram for ya.
@syncrostyle
kco2949785
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Doka rear cab interior panel? Reply with quote

Last summer while on vacation in Sweden I stopped at the junkyard on the road between Falun and Leksand. They had a Tristar four door Doka they were parting out. The interior panel you describe was gone but I was able to take photos of how it's attached. In particular there are metal strips welded from the edge of the rear window opening to the cab corners. The top of the panel attaches to these metal strips. I was thinking of adding an TriStar back interior panel to my single cab but decided it was not worth the effort. You might be able to source a used one from Germany at the TriStar-connection.de . They have a lot of T3 truck parts.
pdxleaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Doka rear cab interior panel? Reply with quote

You don't have to go stock...[/img]
kco2949785
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Doka rear cab interior panel? Reply with quote

Here's a photo of the TriStar doka in Sweden. It shows the metal strip to the side of the window opening that the top of the rear panel mounts to. Also note there is a metal strip at the top of the window opening. These metal strips were thin and wouldn't be hard to weld in. Hope this helps.
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Doka rear cab interior panel? Reply with quote

TKentT wrote:
Mine's an 1986 model, not yet in my hands (Bus-Man is shipping) and I'm just trying to source parts in advance. The driver's side panel (dark brown) is very wrinkled and moisture damaged. The driver's side rear card has a huge hole in it.

From photos, it appeared to have the remnants of a card behind the back seat, below the window. But now you guys are convincing me that I was imagining things...

Thanks for all the feedback! I'll just focus on a set of four, front and rear side) panels!

Hi TKentT, curious if you found a source for your panels - the Doka specific ones anyways. I was surprised how beat up the interior of mine was - not that many miles on it (double the mileage of yours but still not that many) but other than the headliner pretty much everything looks like one p/o’d banshee was trapped in it for a day or two Smile

PO has replaced the drivers panel with a used grey one that’s not too bad, but the others could go at some point. Any luck?

Thanks, Mark
gumbajv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Doka rear cab interior panel? Reply with quote

There is a bottom channel for a panel to sit in. I took the back seat out and made a panel using 1/4" fiberboard. It measures 61" long x 14 11/16" high.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Doka rear cab interior panel? Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
My blue Syncro Doka had this black vinyl surrounding the window, but no panel behind the seat.

MsTaboo do you have any specifics on your blue doka's panel? Did you make it or did it come with it? From comments on this thread it sounds like it must be custom. Looks really nice, and I bet it blocks some sound too?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: