Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 Ragtop Resurrection from Baja
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Ragtop Resurrection from Baja Reply with quote

Freshly cured paint before color sand
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

before color sand

My son & I used 1,000grit and 1,500 grit with a bucket of water and a little dishsoap.

My boy said "something wrong with sanding fresh paint. it used to be so shiny". just wait and see!

3M's compound comes in 3 steps. The color of the spout matches the color of the compound and the color of the pad. pretty hard to mess up.

and after compounding/buffing. each compound had a specific speed to operate the buffer. came out pretty good.

Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Ragtop Resurrection from Baja Reply with quote

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Assembly can begin!

Windshield goes in. What a pain in the ass the chrome deluxe molding is. never done it before.

Rebuilt Speedo, reset to 00000. Thanks Corona Ryan!

Cool OG Bumper I bought in LA.

Personally, I hate Disneyland. but it does make the Bug look old school as well as confirming the originality of the bumper. My Wife and I talked our son into leaving it on there. The red matches our accents anyway.

Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Ragtop Resurrection from Baja Reply with quote

Headliner padding going in. I ordered the Chris Vallone video a few months ago for ragtop headliner installation. it is worth every penny!!! We have watched it several times, my wife is sick of hearing Chris say "Posh"....we have watched it a lot. This video is a must have!
Headliner padding going in. purchased this from Veterans Upholstery Shop in Los Angeles. it was two layers, I peeled off the top layer for all the areas except the door pillars and the roof.

Headliner starts with the door pillars

Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Ragtop Resurrection from Baja Reply with quote

forgot about a broken bolt on the passenger side pan rear axle support. too bad we didn't re-tap this when the body was off.

Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Ragtop Resurrection from Baja Reply with quote

Wiring Works. Excellent instructions, quality of the kit is great and it came with all the grommets! highly recommend.

Popouts installed for the last time. I am very glad we set these up before paint. a little difficult to wrestle with.

Templates for the carpet.
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Ragtop Resurrection from Baja Reply with quote

The original German Square Weave Wool Carpet kits are $500 for the 8 piece and $600 for the 9 piece that covers the tunnel. I bought the same carpet at Veterans for $95 a linear yard at 77" wide. Here we are designing our cut print so we can maximize the material and minimize waste. This is the 3rd and final revision before we laid it out on the carpet.

Here is all the carpet pieces cut. hope I didn't screw it up.

another reason why I am doing this project with my son.....QA/QC. The submarine community is still alive because we trust, but verify everything. I took the opportunity of laying out the carpet to discuss Quality Assurance and Quality Control with my son.
How do we control quality? We drew out the cut plan and made templates with cardboard to make sure everything will have enough material to trim.
How do we Assure quality? I laid it out with chalk on the actual carpet based on our drawing. Then, I had my son (Logan) double check my measurements and layout and give me a check mark in chalk on each outlined piece. Then we cut.

I hope these are the little things that he will remember about me and this project when I am dead and gone. I am very proud of him.....and jealous....he gets to paly with the car on summer break after swim practice while I am at work!

He has been slaving away on the steering wheel every day. POR15 epoxy...let it sit for 48hrs....then sand away. I think we are getting really close to painting that also.
Moodster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Ragtop Resurrection from Baja Reply with quote

Excellent build thread! Very motivational for those of us with a project sitting in the garage. Anyone can just hand the keys to their kid, but the boy who helps build his own car is the one who learns skills and life lessons. He is the lucky one.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Ragtop Resurrection from Baja Reply with quote

Awesome progress and I love the carpet layout and design for max usage
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Ragtop Resurrection from Baja Reply with quote

Outstanding job getting another one back on the road, igniting interest in our hobby, passing on skills to a new generation, and showing what can be done with a bit of thought and perseverance. Applause
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Ragtop Resurrection from Baja Reply with quote

[quote="Navydave73"]Wiring Works. Excellent instructions, quality of the kit is great and it came with all the grommets! highly recommend.

Seriously, you painted the speedometer cable? Couldn't of removed it and re- lubed for peace of mind?
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Ragtop Resurrection from Baja Reply with quote

[quote="lovethatconvertible"]
Navydave73 wrote:
Wiring Works. Excellent instructions, quality of the kit is great and it came with all the grommets! highly recommend.

Seriously, you painted the speedometer cable? Couldn't of removed it and re- lubed for peace of mind?

Haha. It was cut when the Baja crew chopped the car. I have a shiny new one that will be going in.
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Ragtop Resurrection from Baja Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Awesome progress and I love the carpet layout and design for max usage

Thanks Everett. It was driven by the cost of the carpet and not to mention, they cut it short. I bought 2 yards which should have been 72” but it was 68”. So rather than go back to the shop and try to return, we went through a few different revisions on our layout, moving pieces around until we had a good cut plan. The center carpet for the tunnel was the piece that was difficult to find a place for. It’s not correct for this year car, but Logan and my wife like the look.
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Ragtop Resurrection from Baja Reply with quote

Looks awesome, great job!
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Ragtop Resurrection from Baja Reply with quote

Fantastic work on this car by you and your boys, Sir! One hell of a transformation. Very much looking forward to a resto topic on the Bus next!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Ragtop Resurrection from Baja Reply with quote

What wiring harness did you go with? I need one for my '60 as well.
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Ragtop Resurrection from Baja Reply with quote

Moodster wrote:
Excellent build thread! Very motivational for those of us with a project sitting in the garage. Anyone can just hand the keys to their kid, but the boy who helps build his own car is the one who learns skills and life lessons. He is the lucky one.

Agree 100%. Those details come naturally to some, but those of us "blessed" with the curse of ADD(which runs strong in our family) don't naturally have that aptitude. Keep it up, and thank you for including those hints and tips!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Ragtop Resurrection from Baja Reply with quote

car_cursed wrote:
What wiring harness did you go with? I need one for my '60 as well.

Wiring Works purchased at Wolfsburg West for $240. It came with everything except battery cables. Wiring Diagram as well as the schematic, headlight connectors. Very worth the money. It even had a section of the instructions to cut out and put in the fuse block like the original that tells you what fuse does what.
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Ragtop Resurrection from Baja Reply with quote

swharris wrote:
Moodster wrote:

Agree 100%. Those details come naturally to some, but those of us "blessed" with the curse of ADD(which runs strong in our family) don't naturally have that aptitude. Keep it up, and thank you for including those hints and tips!

thank you....Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is my special power and I must use for the good of the universe. over the years I have also learned to push the "F%$@ It" button and move forward. We can analyze forever and never get anything done, but at some point we gotta aim for 80% and launch the damn plane.
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Ragtop Resurrection from Baja Reply with quote

We did hot up the bug yesterday, tested the lights and wipers! we might have the running lights & brake lights backwards but no big deal. I couldn't get the flasher to work though. I put power to the turn bulbs and they lit up so it isn't a grounding issue.

I have an old 12V flasher that looks really nice, I hate to replace it with some black plastic thing, maybe we will crack it open and see if it is just contact points that need cleaning.

but it was cool to see the headlights and taillights light up!
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Ragtop Resurrection from Baja Reply with quote

Started the carpet

The luggage tray area before cutting and trimming the pieces

Looking good, not glued in yet. I need to buy the heater trim rings from WW this Friday, almost forgot and glued the carpet in.

Snuck in a few minutes to install the passenger turn signal lense on my Bus

My Pfaff sewing machine with the new binder foot attachment. I suck at using it, definitely something you have to get used to. I am pretty good with upholstery, or you will see soon, but this carpet binder.....Loser! Evil or Very Mad

Gratuitous shot of the pre-glued-down-luggage area. I saw in the Bentley manual that there is a piece of rope sewn to the back of the carpet where it meets the headliner in the back, so i sewed a piece of 1/4” rope to the carpet and tucked it behind the firewall. Looks pretty good. Don’t look at my corners...Jeez this thing is tuff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: