Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Big changes at GoWesty
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Big changes at GoWesty Reply with quote

GoWesty has sure changed the way they do business. Maybe if one has always done business by internet with them, they won't notice the changes.

Over the past years, I've bought a van's worth of parts*, from them and had them installed by their crew, thinking they were set-up to do the work correctly. Not too long ago, they quit working on customer vehicles.

The latest change is one I learned about when I stopped by this last Monday. Instead of the showroom they had before, they now have a room with two computer screens and possibly some kind of other ordering system. No people in the room except, possibly customers. To me, the room seemed kind of creepy as opposed to the older set-up which seemed like people working and someone to help you.

I was a loyal GoWesty customer and each change has made me feel like they are more impersonal. I had stopped by to pick up a catalog to peruse during breakfast because I had decided to buy my Doka a gift. The LED light kit or some headlight upgrades were on my mind. As it is, nothing like that happened. We did, however, have a wonderful breakfast at Celia's Garden Cafe.

Chuey

*engine, clutch, radiator, reduction geared Japanese starter, tire/wheel package, big brakes, front end rebuild, floor mats, carpet for the back floor, big brake rebuild.
stanovich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live just down the street from gowesty, they have expanded and dont seem to like any Competition
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about their showroom and I couldn't really care less because I won't be going to their showroom anytime soon. But one thing I do know, Gowesty takes care of me when I order parts. And really thats all that matters to me. Sure it would be nice to have a showroom and a employee there, but if they don't get too many customers coming in then why the unnecessary expense.

I for one love the way Gowesty is going about their business. I hope Gowesty, Van-cafe, and Bus Depot stay in business for a long time to support this crazy hobby of mine and if they change their business strategies or the way do their business I'll have no problem supporting them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HENDO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've given them $3k+ in the last 6 months. Shipping may not be quick, but I always get my parts and I have not had a single problem with any of my parts fitting or working as they should. THAT is what is most important to me. There are just not too many options out there for parts. I appreciate the service they provide.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be a larger percentage of customers abroad vs local.
Cutting costs, I have no issue, if they operated out of a shack, but still provided the great service I get on the phone, continue to develop parts and keep our vehicles on the road, I'm a happy customer.
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprised by this at all. Operating a showroom/retail store is very manpower inefficient if you are primarily an e-commerce operation.

I also dabble in Fiat sports cars and, living in Atlanta as I do, I was only a few miles from the biggest Fiat parts supplier (Bayless). They would allow you to come by and pick up parts, but it was always clear that they would rather not hassle with walk-up customers.

Not surprising that GoWesty is doing the same. I don't have a problem with it.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wanderingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me start by saying I like GoWesty. Also, I am a new to this whole world of Westies. However, I have placed a decent amount of money in the accounts of both GoWesty and Van-Cafe, among others, over the past month. Not knowing how GoWesty has been in the past, I have to say, for being or moving toward being an internet-based company, I am not impressed with their shipping abilities. My last order took a full week just to get shipped. Since I am in Georgia it took another week to get to me. Not timely to say the least. Comparatively, Van-Cafe ALWAYS ships same or next day. In addition, if the order is for smaller items that can be shipped via USPS, they change it from the standard UPS rate to the less expensive and faster delivery time of USPS. These are a couple of reasons why they are my #1 parts supplier.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprised at all.
I see less and less quality, more and more issues and many automotive vendors thinking seriously about downsizing.
Insurance and workmans comp will destroy profit margins.

Having the GW shop not open as a service center kinda tells me a story.

The future of "Vanagon" is in the hands of the smaller, efficient and resourceful shops out there.

So many businesses grow very quickly and than everything catches up during a few down quarters and than the reins are pulled back in....big time.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like & benefit from GoWesty's products & services -- but yeah, more like Amazon and less like BAP Geon.

Link
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: GW Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Thanks GW we need you. But I like cookies more! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: GW Reply with quote

joseph928 wrote:
Blue Bay Bus Thanks GW we need you. But I like cookies more! Very Happy

That sums it up for me.
Given the choice, I order from VC.

More power to these guys if they can keep their business alive and well.
It sure is not easy for the local shops who earn their dollars in the service end of things.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
andafiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to this but in the past couple months have placed a couple of big orders at GW and didn't have any real problem with their shipping time, though I admit that the project wasn't a rush and the van wasn't even in my possession yet at the time.

I would add that just yesterday I phoned them to see if it wasn't too late to make an adjustment to an order I'd placed online last Friday (yesterday was Tuesday), and first, I got a friendly and helpful real person on the phone right away (maybe Stephanie?). Secondly, she could see that my order was boxed but she was able to go remove and credit me for the item that I'd bought but no longer needed. Third, grateful for how easy that was, I understood that the simplest way to get the extra thing I needed was to just place a new order, so I did that.

As for shipping, doesn't GW offer the customer the option of UPS or USPS at check-out, displaying the rate for each based on the order?

EDITED TO ADD: Order placed Friday, was ready to ship on Tuesday--and I caught it to ask for an adjustment right before it went out--went out Tuesday afternoon and is scheduled for Thursday delivery in New Mexico.

'86 Westy 4-speed w/ EJ22 (a Racerrojo production!)
"It's got an eagle feather hangin' from the rear-view mirror..."

Last edited by andafiro on Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Nachtfalter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been there personally and the guys working the counter know their shit, are super helpful, and actually walked around the complex with me. I think they are a huge asset.
bdcain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a vendor with a part you need is your friend indeed! Very Happy
I personally haven't purchased from the big 3 yet
I have ordered from cip1
and german supply in canada
cip 1 had a bit of a issue with shipment drag that would of affected me big time
and got them to sent it overnight at their expense
cip 1 had csa stamped electrical inlet
no csa electrical inlet
no 90$ rv csa sticker from fire commissionaire to get safety =
no safety= no go on road
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillM wrote:
I have my favorite vendors as we all do. I think that we are lucky to have
the ones we do. Please think about this the next time when you have an
issue before jumping on here to complain. Give the vendor a chance to
make things right.
As for GoWesty as much as some of us want to hate them they do
a lot for the community.

If that is a comment to my post, either I wrote it very badly or you, BillM, took it much differently than it is written. There is nothing to "make right". There is no "hate" implied or incited or involved in any way in my post.

You could consider it a complaint but I consider it a small bit of information. I'm not pretending that I wasn't disappointed. It is true that the way their business is now structured, it doesn't appeal to me nearly as much as it did before.

In my post I indicated some of (most of) the purchases I've made at GW to show that I'm not coming from the viewpoint of someone who wants service without buying anything. It's clear that they are phasing out the walk-in customer. By the way, I had never been there when there weren't several folks from all over the country and Canada in the showroom/office area. It must not have been working for GW.

The way GW wants to structure their business is......their business. I'm not saying otherwise. I was clear that it doesn't work so well for me. I do think it is relevant and pertinent for folks here on TheSamba to be able to read what the changes are at GW. It will possibly save someone a drive.

Things are different than the last time I was there. From reading the other posts, they are different than the last time others were there.

Chuey
VWaddict01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookies are good, but Gobucks are better!!
2014 Jetta
(Searching for the next air-cooled project)
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuey
It wasnt written as a response to your post just my general
opinions,which are like belly buttons..everybody has one.
I was meaning to express when someone complains about an
order or part without giving the vendor a chance to make it right.
Your post was written clearly and I strayed from the topic..
Prolly best I just go back and delete it to keep things on track..
I have an ADD mentality when posting and really need to just
stop hitting the reply button most of the time..

Last edited by BillM on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a customer at GW back in 2001. At the time they were mainly a service garage and Lucas operated out of a small office. The parts came from a small second floor stock room. There was no showroom, but the people were friendly and there to talk to you and help you. It was an emerging business. They were happy to install the parts I bought, offered me plenty of used items from their shelf, came out to admire my van, and fit me in if I had traveling emergencies. The front building, which is now the showroom, belonged to someone else.

As they grew their business model had to change to stay profitable. I don't see any problem with that, but I will miss the comradeship that I felt when I drove my van in to pick up cool stuff.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be obvious some vendors are moving away from service to concentrate on sales.

Why some vendors can get orders out almost immediately and others take 5 days to get parts on the road borders on a mystery to me.

I agree that the cost to do business is high in California, that has to be paid for somehow.

Face it, our vans are more an old vintage collector item than something most people would still be using, en masse, daily. Hence, as stated above, we will only be serviced by small niche market vendors. This is a normal cycle in the old car world. I am happy I can just go out and buy many important parts.

[flame suit]
Don't complain!
[/flame suit]

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you from Canada! I was planning on a trip there in the next few years. My kids want to go to Disney Land and GoWesty would have been on my list of places to stop and shop. I'd have been horrified expecting a store if I'd detoured to stop and see the things I was curious about and there was nothing but computers there! I get it, store fronts are expensive and have to be staffed. It's a shame they don't have the computer and even one staff person hanging around to grab things from the back to show people and/or ring sales up...And, if I was local, I'd be pretty annoyed about paying for shipping if the store was right there.

I haven't been around long, but have noticed that all the other vendors have someone commenting on the threads that are obviously about them and/or their products. I really like that as it gives a good comparison and personalized service.

I certainly hope this doesn't mean the end of GoWesty, there are tons of things I'd love to buy for my Vanagon, but they're all expensive and I want to buy them slowly...

tam

[quote="Chuey"]
BillM wrote:

The way GW wants to structure their business is......their business. I'm not saying otherwise. I was clear that it doesn't work so well for me. I do think it is relevant and pertinent for folks here on TheSamba to be able to read what the changes are at GW. It will possibly save someone a drive.
Chuey

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: