Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper motor woes
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Wiper motor woes Reply with quote

My newly acquired Thing blows number 1 fuse (wipers/turn signals) when I turn on the ignition. Unplugging the wiper wire stopped the fusing blowing, so the problem must be with the wiper motor.
Any idea what I should be looking for?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor woes Reply with quote

Please read all of Post. If your wiper switch is off, you should be looking at the 53a circuit, black/white wire. It is always hot with the ignition on. The wire could be shorted to ground, but not likely, the wire is connected to the connector block and is part of the park switch. The connector block and park switch are one in the same. Most likely the park switch is shorted to ground, It could be broken or damaged. The park switch is under the white plastic cover. You can carefully remove the white cover and inspect the park switch (looks like a set of points) to see if it is broken or damaged. I have the park switch if you need one. One thing you will want to do FIRST is to check and make sure it's NOT you wiper switch. With the ignition off, remove the black/white wire from the wiper motor and tape the brass connector so that it will not short out. Replace the fuse, turn on the ignition and see if you blow a fuse. If not then it is the park switch. If it still blows the fuse, it's the wiper switch or the wire itself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor woes Reply with quote

Another spot to check is where the wire bundle comes thru the dash- had a grommet there at one time, but if its missing, you might have cut a wire there. gently lift the wire bundle and look for frayed insulation-- this is the "easy" fix.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor woes Reply with quote

Willaim and Al, thanks for the replies.
I took the black/white wire off the park switch, turned the key on, and the fuse didn't blow.
I'll remove the white cover and inspect the park switch tomorrow, when I have more time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: