Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mileage Clock Gold MKII
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Mileage Clock Gold MKII Reply with quote

I have a Mark II Golf and the mileage clock has stopped working. I have repaired it once already about 2 years ago but the problem has re-occurred. So I have now purchased a replacement dash pod unit, only issue is that the 'new' clock has vastly different mileage.

Question being - does anyone know of a method for winding the clock quickly without causing damage so that I can attempt to match the mileage.

Thanks in advance,

Rob.
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Mileage Clock Gold MKII Reply with quote

http://www.odometergears.com/

you think a used one will not fail?? just buy the 2 gears and replace... p.s. its odometer tampering to even replace them...

what you ask is odometer tampering... so anyone who is willing to tell how must be breaking federal laws... and if criminals can figure it out.. most not so bright... asking via web should get them busted

places like overseas odometer in texas do the job also if you lack the skill.. been 15 years, but were $100ish back then for new gears installed, they will only reset to zero or keep current shown milage.. cannot add new/different numbers

to test out odo function, a piece of speedo cable. a drill in reverse direction will allow you to test the speedo head/rotate numbers like your driving on the work bench..
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mileage Clock Gold MKII Reply with quote

There is no way in heck that fixing an odometer is tampering. Why would you even spread that rumor? How about reading the law and then edit your response. https://one.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle-Safety/Odometer-Fraud/Odometer-Information-Overview-for-Consumers

To repair your odometer, is not that hard. Just remove the gears, replace the broken parts, and then set the miles to the CORRECT/original number. If you've repaired the odometer in the past, it should not be that difficult.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Mileage Clock Gold MKII Reply with quote

Quote:
p.s. its odometer tampering to even replace them.

So if it's broke you're 'stuck' with it?
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mileage Clock Gold MKII Reply with quote

It's only a problem if you declare the mileage as being actual. Then, you're lying and breaking the law.
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Mileage Clock Gold MKII Reply with quote

Just to clarify, the vehicle is located in Europe in a non-English speaking country. The car was imported from UK some years ago and the local authorities were very difficult and un-helpful during the process. The guy who did the initial technical inspection listed the car as having a catalytic converter and so when I took the vehicle for the first annual check-up it caused no end of problems.

The easiest solution would be to roll up with a years worth of mileage on my next inspection, having to explain why the car has a vastly different mileage would land me in the middle of bureaucratic nightmare where I would be pushed from pillar to post and given the run around for weeks on end, trust me on that!

I was just looking for a quick and easy solution.

Rob.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: