Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cell phones and idiots
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phones and idiots Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
Do not drive 25 MPH under the speed limit at 1:30 AM.

That's my tip 'o the day.

I have slightly brighter tail/brake lights and very bright LED rear side lights.

there is a range of allowable speeds on a highway. 80 is the MAX speed. the real question is, what is the allowable MIN speed on that highway.
plane_ben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phones and idiots Reply with quote

Utah is posted 55mph minimum speed from my recollection.
daniel5560
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phones and idiots Reply with quote

If you are driving on a highway and you rear-end a vehicle that was just driving along, you were not paying attention. End of story. Dark, poor weather, anything--doesn't matter, you drive to the conditions. Shame that a nice split window bus had to suffer. I hope he is able to get his insurance to go after hers to get the money that it was worth.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phones and idiots Reply with quote

Normally you have to use your flashers if you are under that minimum speed limit. I was thinking it was 45 mph out there, but she was asleep at the wheel not the bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phones and idiots Reply with quote

daniel5560 wrote:
If you are driving on a highway and you rear-end a vehicle that was just driving along, you were not paying attention. End of story.

From a legal perspective, you are correct. I should also be able to leave my front doors unlocked and not expect to have a robber enter my house.

It's lucky there were no kids in that Bus and good thing the 70-something driver was okay.

You can also put 3M reflective tape along your back bumper (as Ratwell suggests) to augment your lighting.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phones and idiots Reply with quote

LazyLightning75 wrote:

Honk if you love Jesus. Answer your cell phone while driving, if you want to meet him.

Well argued point on trailers

Classic tag line!
canes5time
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phones and idiots Reply with quote

Look what this numbnuts says in the comments section..........

utahdiablo April 20, 2017 at 10:51 am
"Top speed for a 1964 VW Bus is 81 MPH, that being said, having owned a vintage VW bus, driving anything over 65 is a Thrill ride and in wind? Very thrilling….and no, a 1964 VW bus does not have Hazard Flashers"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phones and idiots Reply with quote

If interested

https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title41/Chapter6A/C41-6a-P7_1800010118000101.pdf

I believe that section of the interstate has Two lanes going each direction. He hit the right shoulder of the road on impact. She should have been in the left lane upon approach after using her eyeballs to gauge distance. She was only going 15 to 20 mph faster. Doesn't matter. She's at fault no matter what
Lane.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phones and idiots Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I think classic car owners should be using LED light bulbs in their tail and marker lights. The old bulbs just aren't anywhere near bright enough when compared to a modern car. Adding brake and tail light strips would be a good idea as well. Don't know if there are magnetic strips available which could be added for day to day use and then removed when you went to a show or not.

Not LED Strips, but a set of magnetic towing/trailer lights on the rear bumper would double the amount of light from behind very easily and be easily removed. You could certainly put high wattage and/or LED bulbs in them.

I used the diagnostic plug on the '73 for the inputs of my trailer light adapter.

I had a 1960 Beetle I drove regularly in high school, and was terrified of getting hit with the teeny-tiny tail lights, so I bought a pair of round trailer lights, fabbed a little bracket, and attached them to the rear bumper between the blade and over-rider bar for extra rearward visibility.

The patrolman in this case is a real dumbass. No reason to even give a warning (thankfully it wasn't a citation) to the driver of the Bus, but no reason at all to give the Subaru driver a warning, especially since she "just glanced" at her cell phone immediately prior. Bullshit. She was not "just glancing" at it. It is possible for citations to be issued days or weeks after the fact, so hopefully she will get one soon.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phones and idiots Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
there is a range of allowable speeds on a highway. 80 is the MAX speed. the real question is, what is the allowable MIN speed on that highway.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phones and idiots Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:

I'd Subaru the hell out of it....but that's just me

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phones and idiots Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
alman72 wrote:

Here you go alman72
Speaking from an insurance liability point of view. She's at fault. Phone or not. Even if VW pilot was breaking a law. In short. If she can avoid an accident it is her responsibility to avoid it. She clearly could have. He didn't just appear out of nowhere. She rolled up on him. I realize nobody here talking insurance. Just tip of the day Wink

https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title41/Chapter6A/C41-6a-S605_2015051220150512.pdf

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phones and idiots Reply with quote

Although I've never driven my bus in I15, I do drive my bus all over the southwest (Az, Ut, Co, Nm). I never have any issues driving 60 on any roads/highways/interstates in this area.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phones and idiots Reply with quote

Not a single comment about how a '64 bus doesn't have hazards to begin with or am I wrong and buses got hazards standard before bugs?

He couldn't put them on if he wanted to. So what the hell did he get written up for? No hazards?

I doubt she would have avoided hitting him even if he had them on. How the hell do you just drive into the back of someone on the highway that is moving?

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phones and idiots Reply with quote

That hazard flasher was covered Keith. But the rest of your comment is spot on. Bus pilot must admitted he was doing 55mph. I doubt the officer witnessed the incident.
Even so the law is grey and the officer in my opinion wrote warnings as a way of saying he acknowledged an incident. Maybe he had a bunch of witnesses at
1:30am in Middle of Nowhere, Utah that could confirm MPH. But I highly doubt it. Whole thing is a shame really. Hope she and he has a good insurance policy.

Keith wrote:
Not a single comment about how a '64 bus doesn't have hazards to begin with or am I wrong and buses got hazards standard before bugs?
He couldn't put them on if he wanted to. So what the hell did he get written up for? No hazards?

canes5time wrote:

"Top speed for a 1964 VW Bus is 81 MPH, that being said, having owned a vintage VW bus, driving anything over 65 is a Thrill ride and in wind? Very thrilling….and no, a 1964 VW bus does not have Hazard Flashers"

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phones and idiots Reply with quote

At 1:30am in the middle of no where she may well have nodded off for a bit with the cruise control on. Probably very little traffic at that time of night and the other lane was likely available for her use had she been alert enough to make the maneuver.

Last edited by Wildthings on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phones and idiots Reply with quote

Flashers aren't necessary unless you're going 45 or under.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Gonzo1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phones and idiots Reply with quote

11.16.020 - Minimum speed regulations.

No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or because upon a grade or in compliance with law. The transportation engineer may determine on the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation that slow speeds on any part of a road or highway of the county impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic and constitute a traffic hazard requiring the declaration of a minimum speed limit below which no person shall drive except when necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law. All such minimum speed limits shall be properly posted.

The takeaway:

"except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation"

If I was to fight it, I would hammer that point home.. No distinction was made regarding safe operation (e.g. weather or vehicle related) Well, that and the minimum speed limit on that highway is 45.

I would hit that insurance company with both barrels... then reload.

-Gonz
What a long, strange trip it's been
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phones and idiots Reply with quote

There is no argument for anyone , anywhere in the US that 55 mph is excessively slow. If you aren't attentive enough to be aware of a 55 mph vehicle ahead of you, you are at fault
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phones and idiots Reply with quote

4 way flashers were not required until 1966 IIRC in the US.

My 66 & 67 buses had them just to the right of the steering wheel.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: