Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starting problems
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Starting problems Reply with quote

I rebuilt the motor and put it in the car (1973 AK motor 1600). Carb is a 34 Pict-3. It runs great; however, i am having some problems. I run the car, turn it off. It will start easily if I start it back up within a minute or two, but if I let it sit for several minutes (10-15 maybe a bit more), it is hard to start. I have to crank it over and over and over hardly giving it any gas and then it slowly starts.

I wondered about vapor lock, but am not sure. If it is, what can I do about it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
gingergypsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting problems Reply with quote

how warm are you getting the engine before these short breaks?

Currently residing in yosemite valley with Elizabeth, if you are in the park come say hi!
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting problems Reply with quote

Running it a couple miles. Really not a long time.

gingergypsy wrote:
how warm are you getting the engine before these short breaks?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting problems Reply with quote

After you run it, check that fuel is not dripping down the carb throat. Remove air cleaner and watch or check every few minutes for ten minutes after shut down.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting problems Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
I rebuilt the motor and put it in the car (1973 AK motor 1600). Carb is a 34 Pict-3. It runs great; however, i am having some problems. I run the car, turn it off. It will start easily if I start it back up within a minute or two, but if I let it sit for several minutes (10-15 maybe a bit more), it is hard to start. I have to crank it over and over and over hardly giving it any gas and then it slowly starts.

Sorry to say txasylum, this is a very common problem on these cars, there are dozens of threads about the same topic- and unfortunately no one really knows what causes it or how to fix it.
I've been having the same issue on my car for months, doesn't seem to be as bad during colder months but once the weather warms back up, it's a pretty prevalent issue. It's weird right? if you just shut the car off long enough to get gas, it will start right back up--but if you go in to do some grocery shopping and then try to restart the car it's terribly difficult. In my case i even have fuel getting siphoned down the carb throat directly from my float bowl! I was hoping maybe changing my carb gasket would fix it but nope, once it got warm here again the issue returns. But i bet if you leave the car for like 45 minutes or more, it will be easy to start again. There's just a "window" of time there, from about 15 minutes to a little over a half hour, where once the car has been really driven and warmed up, it throws that curve ball at you. It's frustrating I know.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting problems Reply with quote

Adjust your valves and check your timing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Butler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting problems Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
txasylum wrote:

Sorry to say txasylum, this is a very common problem on these cars, there are dozens of threads about the same topic- and unfortunately no one really knows what causes it or how to fix it.
I've been having the same issue on my car for months, doesn't seem to be as bad during colder months but once the weather warms back up, it's a pretty prevalent issue. It's weird right? if you just shut the car off long enough to get gas, it will start right back up--but if you go in to do some grocery shopping and then try to restart the car it's terribly difficult. In my case i even have fuel getting siphoned down the carb throat directly from my float bowl! I was hoping maybe changing my carb gasket would fix it but nope, once it got warm here again the issue returns. But i bet if you leave the car for like 45 minutes or more, it will be easy to start again. There's just a "window" of time there, from about 15 minutes to a little over a half hour, where once the car has been really driven and warmed up, it throws that curve ball at you. It's frustrating I know.

This is a very well written explanation.

Im in the same boat.

Proud Member Pata De Perro Vw Club

iowegian wrote:
Instead of converting your car to a different color, why not just buy one that is a color you like?
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting problems Reply with quote

First think in the morning, how does the car start?
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Starting problems Reply with quote

It fires right up when it is cold.

Mikedrevguy wrote:
First think in the morning, how does the car start?
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Starting problems Reply with quote

Thanks. I thought about rebuilding the carb. Have you rebuild your carb and still having the same problem?

sb001 wrote:
txasylum wrote:

calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Starting problems Reply with quote

Could the lack of vents on your deck lid combined with your 1600 dp engine be causing your engine bay to be asking for more air? Have you tried the tennis ball trick?
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Starting problems Reply with quote

No, I'm not familiar with it.

calvinater wrote:
Could the lack of vents on your deck lid combined with your 1600 dp engine be causing your engine bay to be asking for more air? Have you tried the tennis ball trick?
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Starting problems Reply with quote

Cut a slit in a tennis ball and place it between the decklid and the latch wil allow for a slght gap when lid is closed supplying more air for fan
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Starting problems Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
Thanks. I thought about rebuilding the carb. Have you rebuild your carb and still having the same problem?

I actually sent this carb to Volkzbitz who completely refurbished it. I've only taken the carb apart enough to check the float needle valve. I discovered my gasket between the lid of the carb and the main body was the wrong gasket, it was blocking a couple of air passages that vent out around the carb throat, so I replaced it with the correct one. But still doesn't matter- after driving for an extended period (engine fully warmed up), go in to do some grocery shopping or whatever, 15-20 minutes, come back out the car takes several cranks with people staring before it finally starts. But ONLY after driving for a prolonged period first, particularly in stop and go traffic. VERY frustrating, what's more frustrating is no one has found the solution. All sorts of rumors like the metal fuel line coming into the engine bay resting against the intake causing vapor lock from the heat, etc. but I have made sure mine is up away from the intake. Bad float needle valve (I replaced mine but still have the same issue), etc. Next time you drive yours for an extended period of time, especially around town in stop and go traffic, when you get back home and shut the car off immediately go back around to the back of the car and listen closely around the top of the carb, see if you hear a gurgling sound like fuel being sucked down the carb throat like i do. It really stinks that absolutely no one can figure this out, as I said TONS of threads regarding the same issue.

In the interest of full disclosure regarding calvinater's post, I too am running the original solid deck lid on my 69 with a 1600, although mine is a single port.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
wet_bread
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting problems Reply with quote

There might not be a known cause, but by checking off the following list on your car, you can almost eliminate the hard start issue entirely. From most important first for a successful hot start:

- Fuel pressure on the lower side of specification for your carb.
- Ensure your needle valve is of high quality, and functioning.
- Park nose downhill.
- Ensure the fuel line does not route anywhere near the #3 exhaust header pipe, and does not receive warm air from the heat exchanger discharge pipe.
- Fuel level on the lower side of specification for your carb.
- Utilize a factory VW/Pierburg fuel pump with cutoff valve.
- Slowly floor the accelerator pedal and hold it there, do not pump.
- Ensure the fuel line is not touching any metal in the engine compartment.

Some of these may be obvious, some maybe not. Addend the list please if I have left anything off.

Some people have an "in-the-lines" percolation issue, so an electric fuel pump helps them. But some people have an "in-the-carb" issue, so no amount of fuel pump tinkering will help them. Both these kinds of folks often get in fights on here about who is correct.

http://www.jainworld.com/literature/story25.htm
nelson845
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting problems Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
txasylum wrote:

LOL...I thought it was just my bug!.....
nelson845
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting problems Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
txasylum wrote:

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting problems Reply with quote

nelson845 wrote:
sb001 wrote:
txasylum wrote:

Have either of you checked after shutting down the warm engine for fuel dripping down the carb throat.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting problems Reply with quote

I’ve found on very warm days that if I start the car the way VW said to do it in the Owners Manual, I have little or no problem.

When, after the engine is quite warm, and before 1/2 hour, just barely press the gas pedal while turning the key. When hot, I either don’t press the pedal at all, or, if I’ve gone past the 1/2 hour mark, I slowly press the pedal to the floor and hold it, then turn the key.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting problems Reply with quote

Current wife wants to know why 1970 VW, 1971 VW, and 1988 B2200 start "differently" and sometimes run-on when shutting off; I've tried to explain differences between carbureted vehicles and modern fuel injection vehicles...
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: