Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW engine, porsche trans question
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anthrax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: VW engine, porsche trans question Reply with quote

I have a 1974 Porsche 914.

Current setup is a 1974 Bus engine and the original Porsche trans.

The trans is trashed and its a ridiculous price to rebuild.

Is there a VW trans that is a side-shifter that I can put into this build?
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engine, porsche trans question Reply with quote

Even if you could get clutch, starter and linkage hooked up and trans supported you have 4 reverse gears and one forward! There are lots of rusted out 914s with ok trans. Here's a $600 on SAMBA but I've seen them int $150-250 range.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2030810
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engine, porsche trans question Reply with quote

Yes....that is correct. The flywheel issue is easy. The only one that uses a different flywheel is really the 2.0.

The problem as noted is that you will either have to flip the differential which is not always possible.....or run the trans upside down to get four forward gears.

Also....no side shifts among vw trans.

One positive side of a flipped trans...is that for tail shift ....the hockey stick would now be on the correct side....in the lower position.

The only VW trans that is similar in dimensions, has the same CV flange and the tail/hocky stick on the bottom.....is the VW type 4 trans.....the 004. Sadly...they are rare as hens teeth, have "0" parts availability, cannot be run upside down and the differential cannot be flipped.

As noted.....find a good used 914 trans. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reservoirdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engine, porsche trans question Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me which, if any, VW flywheel/pressure plate combos will work with a 901 transaxle? I have a 1972 914, and am wanting to use (if possible) a VW Flywheel/pressure plate I have on hand.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engine, porsche trans question Reply with quote

I don't think any VW bus flywheels work as the ring gear won't line up with the starter teeth. Tons of used flywheels out there for a 914 so check on the 914World.com site
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engine, porsche trans question Reply with quote

A VW flywheel (except '72 up Bus T2 and 411/412) has a large center gland nut and 4/8 dowels to hold flywheel to crank. The 914 (and T4 engine VW above) all use 5 bolts to mount it to the crank. 914 flywheels are forged so strong and are not that difficult to locate.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: