Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Running Boards for a '46 Beetle
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Running Boards for a '46 Beetle Reply with quote

Firstly thanks to Mika Virtanen for the supply of the running boards for our '46' but now that I come to fit them I see from the '46 parts book (.pdf version) there should be a rubber beading between the running board and the heater channel (Illustration 21 Item 25).

Has anyone done research into what the section of this rubber beading should be?

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Running Boards for a '46 Beetle Reply with quote

Rod, I haven't seen the photo you describe but you probably will have to make something. I would be curious if you could share the PDF parts book that you describe or you if you have a link to it.....

--Shawn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Running Boards for a '46 Beetle Reply with quote

I thought the beading was just the ribbed rubber mat cover folder over.
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Running Boards for a '46 Beetle Reply with quote

Telephunken wrote:
Rod, I haven't seen the photo you describe but you probably will have to make something. I would be curious if you could share the PDF parts book that you describe or you if you have a link to it.....

--Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Here is the Illustration...

The beading in question is item 25.

{[email protected] - There is no rubber cover on a '46 Running Board}

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Running Boards for a '46 Beetle Reply with quote

I quess it's the same beading as for the wings.
New projects
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Running Boards for a '46 Beetle Reply with quote

That sounds good to me Mika.

Have any of our other European readers seen the remnants of original beadings?

Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Running Boards for a '46 Beetle Reply with quote

As Mika says, I can't see that they would have used anything other than the wing beading. What else is likely to be available at the time?

Question: When did this use of beading on the running boards stop? On my May 47 Beetle, from what material I have remaining on it, and the rivet holes in the running board to attach it, they seem to have been covered by rubber sheeting with a tight criss cross XXXX pattern, the same as used on the bump stops behind the rear seat upright. This would have done away with the need for the separate beading strip Rod talks about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Running Boards for a '46 Beetle Reply with quote

Martin, the '46 parts book shows no rubber covering and the next book that I have is 1950 which shows a ribbed cover similar to the ones that were used in later times. The illustration is not good but certainly does not give the impression of a 'criss-cross' pattern. Maybe someone has a '47 parts list and can confirm what that shows.

By the way the NOS rear seat bump stop covers that I have are simple ribbed rubber tubular items. Were these a later design to yours?

Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Running Boards for a '46 Beetle Reply with quote

Im in agreement will all of this; I know the 46 does not have rubber covering on the running boards and 47 I would assume that the beading on 46 would be the same as for the fenders or wings; in the diagram, number 23 which is the wing beading, looks the same as number 25. I would assume in 47 that the rubber just wraps on the backside of the running board and that acts as "beading"?
Martin, does the original rubber material on your runningboards wrap onto the backside where it mounts to the body??
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Running Boards for a '46 Beetle Reply with quote

Then rubber washers between wings and boards were made of waste pieces of rubber mat, like this:

New projects
Mif
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Running Boards for a '46 Beetle Reply with quote

Hi Martin,
Mika is correct, Volkswagen used trimmed down wing beading for the inner running board seals

Matt
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Running Boards for a '46 Beetle Reply with quote

not to add more confusion to the subject but I spoke to a friend at the Kelly Park VW meet yesterday; he is the curator and mechanic for the well-known collector Mark Merril here in Californis. He said both of the 46 Beetles that Mark owned had rubber covering on the runningboards. he said it was a pattern that they had not seen before, different then later years but they said they were the original runningboards and there was remnants of the rubber covering still on them. Just FYI.
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Running Boards for a '46 Beetle Reply with quote

Telephunken wrote:
not to add more confusion to the subject but I spoke to a friend at the Kelly Park VW meet yesterday; he is the curator and mechanic for the well-known collector Mark Merril here in Californis. He said both of the 46 Beetles that Mark owned had rubber covering on the runningboards. he said it was a pattern that they had not seen before, different then later years but they said they were the original runningboards and there was remnants of the rubber covering still on them. Just FYI.

This just opens the usual 'can of worms' with early Volkswagens. Some were built like 'this' and some were built like 'that'. I have always been of the impression that with these minor changes we will never know the truth if truth is the correct word. We must just learn to live with them love them for what they are.

I think I will eventually go with a similar beading to that used for the wings as I have a pair of Mika's running boards for the car.

Martin - the pattern referred to above may be what you have the remnants of on your car.

Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Running Boards for a '46 Beetle Reply with quote

Hello again. I've been busy for a few days, and haven't looked at the thread in that time, hence my silence on the matter. As you know, I'm trying to get the Kubel finished for Hessisch Oldendorf in June, and it's a slow process!

I'm lucky to have had the rusty remnants of the original running boards on my car (You can tell by the bracing underneath) and they were 50% covered in rubber sheeting, which I rightly or wrongly assume, is the original material, and that these were riveted on to hold them in place. I do still have them somewhere in one of my many garages, but considered the matter almost closed once Mika had made the running boards for me, that is, apart from the rubber sheeting, which I still have to source.

As stated previously, the running board rubber material was similar to that used to cover the bump stops for the rear seat uprights. Why would they have two different types at the time, for two different uses? Below you can see a photo of one of the originals from my car, again which I'm lucky to have. So whatever others may, or may not have had on their cars, I'm pretty sure what came off mine. Note the use of what is basically string to stich it! Despite this, it's stood the test of time.

As for the rubber spacers mentioned in a thread above, for use between the body and the running boards, I have no idea what was used on my car, but they sound a distinct possibility.
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Running Boards for a '46 Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks for the picture Martin, I have the remnants of a rear seat stop looking exactly the same from the '46 so would assume what we both have was the original material used in these early cars.

The '46 has been on the road today! Still a good few things to do but it's looking good for Stanford Hall on Sunday and almost 100% certain for HO17.

Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Running Boards for a '46 Beetle Reply with quote

Rod, post some pictures!!! also info! how long if you been working on it? did you guys do a full restoration or just a mild makeover? would love to hear more about it!!
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Running Boards for a '46 Beetle Reply with quote

Geoff Sumpter also got his car, an ex British Army, 1952 Split Sunroof on road ready yesterday, and should be ready for the same events as yourself. His car, formerly registered as SLB 99, has also been off the road previously for around 30 years, maybe more, and so 2 more old timers hit the road again (The cars that is!) after many years of being laid up, and neither of which were straightforward restorations.
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Running Boards for a '46 Beetle Reply with quote

Here is how 1-063289 looked yesterday on its first trip on the road after more than fifty years. There is much to do to get the car completed but this is a great milestone.
Please excuse the horrid modern licence plates, these will be changed to something nearer period as soon as possible.

rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Running Boards for a '46 Beetle Reply with quote

Telephunken wrote:
Rod, post some pictures!!! also info! how long if you been working on it? did you guys do a full restoration or just a mild makeover? would love to hear more about it!!

Picture above taken yesterday.

I purchased the car way back in the mid '70s in a very distressed condition, partly dismantled and butchered in many ways including a smashed transmission. In the following few years I restored the mechanics and floor pan including obtaining a much later NOS factory reconditioned standard transmission. Then the project was 'put to sleep' due to the normal pressures of life.
About five years ago I realised that if I didn't restore the car soon I would be too old to drive it. The revived project began and has resulted in spending a lot of cash to create what you see today thanks to many enthusiasts too numerous to mention from around the world who have provided reproduction and original parts for it.

René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Running Boards for a '46 Beetle Reply with quote

What a gorgeous car!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: