Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
55oval geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

This is bs these guys belong in jail
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

yup...as soon as I posted my ad I got a text - the # it came from is
978-224-5399 - thank you for posting that fake awareness at the top of your website - gave me a heads up! Smile you would think that the person(s) would at least check & notice that the website has a warning about them & maybe move on to something else...just goes to show you how smart they are haha! Rolling Eyes
MichiganMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

I have gotten information from the scammers on where to send the money, Donna Burney <exact address removed> at Youngstown, OH. 44509. Lets send the cops there!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

There is a good chance that person is an unwilling participant.
The scammers hire people with "work at home" listings and have them receive the money and forward it on.
They often get screwed too.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
appalachianair&water
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

I have received a few texts from the number 708-492-8946 regarding some of my classified ads, the messages just read the copied title/price from my ads and "Still up for sale?" I got 5 from that number today all right after another and a few from a different number I didn't copy yesterday. I have seen very similar scam texts from Craigslist so I was skeptical but did respond with "yes" to the messages yesterday to see what they would say next. They responded with great, they would add and extra $50 to the prices and asked for my full name and address info to send a cashier's check to. Very fishy sounding, so I just deleted the messages. Just wanted to get it out there to see if anyone else had similar messages.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

It sounds similar to other reported requests in this thread and sent to my email but I haven't heard that exact thing from others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

I got the same text from 708-492-8946 today. Said they would add an extra $50 to the prices for some parts I have up for sale. They asked for my full name and address to send a cashier's check to.

Its crazy because I had received the account info request, the donation one and now this one. All three.

Im sure there are a lot of other members getting the same texts and not posting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Yes, there are more people than have posted in this thread.
A number of people have sent me screen captures of texts they got with numbers to add to the scammer list in the first post.
If anyone is reading this, feel free to email me directly if you do not want to post here.
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

I got texts this week responding to two of my ads, from three different numbers, all with the same language adding $50 to "hold in my favor". Annoying...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kokanee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

415-594-5306
Has been texting me trying to buy my car what a jackass first red flag is texting at 4:20am
fourguidos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

I've gotten texts today also from 415-594-5306 but stopped responding when I asked them to call to talk in person. Earlier this week as soon as I posted my ad I received texts from 651-318-4383 and they also stopped replying when I wanted to call and talk with them
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Thanks
Wgwollet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

I put some ads on here and was hit by three different phone numbers.
All wanted me to cash a check for more then the goods... then send the balance to them on Western Union

Very old scam

Numbers
615-821-0405
216-454-9319
588-936-9902
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Thanks, I will make sure those are in the listing
Busman1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

314-525-5217 hit me up about my gas tank I had for sale on the classifieds. You could tell he had no clue what i was selling and wanted to know where I worked. Then wanted to pay me more and ship to some other guy and send extra back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Hello Everette,
I just received this text. I knew it was a scam but I played the game and asked a couple key questions. The person just kept demanding my info. Until it got ugly. I hate scammers. Here is the text from 469-658-8439.

Mark Odenwald

Alright am ok with the price and Condition and l'll like to buy it asap now but you can send me some pics as well and tell me the condition .i will be sending a Us bank check from my bank to you Via USPS and you get it within 24hours delivery as your payment and also I'll arrange for a pick up after the check clears at your bank and you have ur cash at hand. I'll need your name and address apartment number, city, state and zip code so that i can mail the
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Thanks, I am adding and blocking that # on the site
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

I had two texts demanding my info on my items for sale. Says very content w/ the price and condition. T?he texts also said it will 'await' my response. I am like..who the hell says 'await'?

I asked if he was Nigerian? Texts back says NO. I let loose some not very politically correct curses and told him/her to have a nice day.

I should have asked for a naked pic to confirm where it was coming from. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

await your response is a scammer phrase I have seen many times
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
await your response is a scammer phrase I have seen many times

"await your response" is good English...I have been known to use it on occasion, although I rarely scam people. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: